A counter to cloaking?

Reaction score
    There has to be some kind of counter to detect cloak ships, or that cloaked ships have to have some kind of timer or conditions to be met to enter cloaking again after cloaking. Granted I understand the power comsumption is supposed to be the balancing issue but if you successfully design a cloak ship there is no counter to it which seems bizarre. Combat is always point/counterpoint in the development of systems so wheres the counterpoint to cloaking? As it is there is nothing you can do right now but hope for a lucky shot by doing spray and pray. I'd like to think that in the future there was someone who understands how cloaking works and was clever enough to come up with a countermeasure. Being on the recieving end of a cloaked ship constantly harassing you does not really encourage me to continue playing knowing that there is absolutely nothing I can do or build to prevent it.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Cloaking and jamming really need an overhual, they are ancient systems really, and dont really interact well with the new systems (Scanners can drop cloak and jam, but there is no cooldown on reabling for example).

Someday it should be brought up to par, and it should be glorious.

Reaction score
    how many scanners do you need I have a ship with 100 scanners and still cant detect cloaked ships

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    When you activate the Scanner, I recall hearing it would drop the cloak and jammer, but only until they re-click the button. Could be mistaken, could be bugged. I dont know, I honestly never used them before.

Reaction score
    how many scanners do you need I have a ship with 100 scanners and still cant detect cloaked ships
    Scanner is not a passive system, you have to activate it, when you do so it disables all radar jammers and cloaks, including your own. I have no idea what the max range for this effect is, but it is just a momentary pulse and you can't send another pulse until your scanner system recharges. Those cloaks and jammers turned off by the pulse can be immediately turned back on.

It would be nice if scanners had a passive effect of allowing you to know direction and distance of cloaked and radar jammed entities without dropping your own jammer or cloak, at reduced ranges compared to an active pulse of course.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It is an ancient and broken system. I know at least Schine is recognising being able to immediately cloak and jam as a bug now.

Probably because of the scum running around using a macro to instantly do it.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol Working on a satellite to just pepper the whole sector with beams. If someone gets hit once than they come out of cloaking or jamming. So several of these around an area should make it so perma-cloaker/jammer builds have to take a different route or have enough fire power to kill the satellites.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Can scanners be activated by logic?

If so, you could have a ship/satellite station that is designed around getting near instant scanning recharges and constantly pinging an area to prevent permanent cloaking in that particular area.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    multiple scanners on different entities activated rapidly via a fast clock and wireless logic could work.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You'd have to have them activate at different times though and trigger fast enough to have a perma scan up. Not sure if the scanner can be logic triggered though.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Can scanners be activated by logic?

If so, you could have a ship/satellite station that is designed around getting near instant scanning recharges and constantly pinging an area to prevent permanent cloaking in that particular area.
    That would be overpowered. It'd make it impossible to stay cloaked or jammed.

A possible counter would be to scan and then use either swarmers on the main ship or some form of lock-on missile mounted on turrets. They retain their lock on status even after the ship recloaks and jams, so you should be able to kill the cloaker with them.

Hopefully we get a better balanced cloak and jam system soon.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    have 50% of your ships mass as scanners, resulting in a short cooldown, letting you repeatedly scan-pulse.
    +1 proness: Also, your minimap still shows the cloaked/jammed ship(if you understand which dot it is)
    +2 proness: Having a dedicated CREWMATE sitting in a docked entity that is ENTIRELY scanners who's only job is to spam left click (AKA, dual-box, autofire)

Reaction score
    What about a block/module that finds ships with attached cloak or radar jammers and "pings" them. It'll temporarily broadcast their location even if the ship recloaks or jams again, maybe for 5 seconds (Which would be all some ships needs to vaporize a cloaked ship)"

Edit: My bad, didn't realize this was Necro. Think it was posted in the "similar threads" and I didn't check the date.

Erm, no way to delete the post, is there?