A concept of a Starmade racing structure or what we can learn from racing games.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So, I've just finished playing NFS Pro Street and realised that a similar structure for events can be applied to Starmade. In Pro Street, all races take place in race weekends that consist of multiple types of races that include speed, grip, drag and drift.

Now, how could this be applied to Starmade? The idea is that we would have a standard ship classification system so that it's fair for everyone, but it should be flexible enough to allow for the ships to be more or less distinct and force players to make tradeoffs (More thrust in exchange for not enough power to sustain full thrust at all times). The event structure would consist of multiple race weekends that take place in a certain server and consist of multiple types of events. Now, after some brainstorming I've thought of a couple types of events:

1. Track racing (Simple enclosed racing area, either point A to B or multiple laps).
    2. Drag racing. One long, straight enclosed track with moving obstacles.
    3. Drift. You can only use push effect to navigate around the track (I've done some tests and it's really fun and there's a lot of skill involved). One who goes around the track quicker, wins. Collisions would either put time penalties or collision damage would be enabled on the server.
    4. System racing. There would be gates scattered all around one (or multiple) systems. The speed limit of the server would be set relatively high and possibly even the sector size would be adjusted.

The advantage of this system is that races can be set up at any server at any time. The rewards could include credits and/or ships and/or blocks.

Reactions: Exozen

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But it is not much fun until you can fine-tune a ship to be good in a certain track.

and then 24/7 players will win :p

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol planning on making a track that bends around a huge blue star for grins just to see who lives to the other side of the loop. :)

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    But it is not much fun until you can fine-tune a ship to be good in a certain track.

and then 24/7 players will win :p
    Well, I don't want a couple newbs racing with ugly thrustersticks built in 5 secs either.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    how about you purchase ready made ships that you can modify , and the mods done would classify the ship the same as real race classes ie:stock , mod stock , super stock , could also have bigger ship races like titan races with full weapons usage and to the victors go the spoils like "pink slip racing"

Reactions: Blaza612

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    how about you purchase ready made ships that you can modify , and the mods done would classify the ship the same as real race classes ie:stock , mod stock , super stock , could also have bigger ship races like titan races with full weapons usage and to the victors go the spoils like "pink slip racing"
    ready made ship modding sounds cool as well, and I also like the idea of pink slips (racing ships probably will be really small so losing one wouldn't be much of a problem though). Titan racing while sounds cool could turn into a lagfest if there are more than 2 players racing.

Reaction score
    I'd like to see titan shell racing. just a shell with 1:1 thrust to mass ratio as a base. no heavy armor or sheilds
    Makes me think of truck racing.
    EDIT: Maybe even have a race track that you have to dig through.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Racing with starmade weapons sounds awesome. Especially if it was a multiday adventure with pirate bases in the critical paths.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The most fun method I have been playing around with for starmade racing is using really heavy blocks of advanced armor with no thrust or power gen.

I think a really amazing race can take place with only push/pull passives, massive mass count, and an energy drain weapon.

I am majorly upset with the complete lack of functionality from racegates. There was a lot of promise from them, but its quite clear they are missing a lot. No one even really talks about them, that should give the devs an idea of how much they are lacking.

I am not even going to waste more of my time on them until they get proper logic interactions at least.

Edit: Forgot to add, Starmade push drive jousting may become a thing.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The most fun method I have been playing around with for starmade racing is using really heavy blocks of advanced armor with no thrust or power gen.

I think a really amazing race can take place with only push/pull passives, massive mass count, and an energy drain weapon.

I am majorly upset with the complete lack of functionality from racegates. There was a lot of promise from them, but its quite clear they are missing a lot. No one even really talks about them, that should give the devs an idea of how much they are lacking.

I am not even going to waste more of my time on them until they get proper logic interactions at least.

Edit: Forgot to add, Starmade push drive jousting may become a thing.
    Push drive with warhead tips?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Push drive with warhead tips?
    Push drive with tiny but heavyish ships, area trigger on the end of a few light rods to detect when you have "poked" something. Another set of area triggers on the corners of your ship to detect when you have been hit or hit the wall.

There are also gate like goals that have to be guarded or your oppenet can get free scores. (added that to prevent people from winning through cowardice)

A wireless logic system is used to calculate scoring, and can detect draws, wall collisions, and even shut off the push drive control.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Well, now that the thrust update will be out very very soon, I'm sure that ship racing will become a lot more interesting.