50km Speed LIMIT

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The limit thing (in my opinion) should be completely wiped. Instead vary you ships max speed considering weight, thusters and power.

Reaction score
    I think they should use accurate units of measurement before they change speed limits. A spaceship can not travel from planet to planet at 50km/h that\'s slower than a motorway speed limit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Each ship DOES have a top speed, it is decided by your thust, servers top speed and the inertia dampening. If dampening is set to 0 every ship can go max server speed (and also gains cruise control).

I\'ve set my singleplayer universe to 400 without too much problem.

Also great for testing ships.

Sio

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    it should stay the same just with higher or no speed limit, the reasons why had been said.

so little fighters are still usefull cause they are hard to hit with their hight acceleration and turning speed.

and giant titans couldn\'t be used as baseballbats because of a hight turningspeed (even if i like this idea) but could be used as a Battering Ram or something like that. Because of that i would add collision damage.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If ship\'s max speed limit is to be changed, I\'d rather have it to be changed only for really small, nimble ships (say, weight up to 50 or so). The heavier the ship, the lesser max speed should be. Hell, I wouldn\'t mind it if those bigger ships, with weight in hundreds-thousands would have even lower max speed (controversial, I know) thus requiring support of smaller units, anti-fighter turrets or in general - making not-the-biggest ship have practical value as right now, balance is tilted in the favor of leviathans.

While I understand there is no air resistance in space, such can be explained by factory limitations for the sake of said ship being able to actually stop at some point or change direction without pilot losing control - if we speak from the standpoint of realism, a ship which would achieve great speed after very long and hard period of gaining it would have also considerable difficulties in stopping going in the chosen direction, and frankly, I prefer speed limit more than going one sector farther than I planned because I went too fast and it took me few minutes to decelerate.

Also, realism aside, it\'s just classics and gameplay-required to a degree. In the past there wasn\'t such limit and stuff was going crazy.

Reaction score
    The best way to balance big vs small ships would go over acceleration, not top speed since this is neither usefull nor realistic. The problem of VERY low acceleration on big ships is the \"jumping/turning\" at sector borders. You can\'t aim at your target point with your 50k mass ship and accelerate for 5 minutes to go to 50km/h because you have to adjust your course every fucking 2000m ... this is already freaking me out with current acceleration/mass mechanics and \"only\" 8k mass.

If this bumpy concept could be fixed and i could aim for a spot let\'s say 10 degree clockwise of the planet i want to fly to because i expect it to be there when i traveled the distance and i wouldn\'t do U-Turns at every sector border just for kicking my balls, I would like the idea of decreasing efficiency of thrusters and long acceleration phases for huge ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think there shouldbe no limit, it should depend on how many thrusters there are and the weight of the ship. i went ton a server and i could actually get away from some enemies, not just stay at the same speed. You should add this to singleplayer.

You are all going too far with an infinite speed limit, Infinite speed Requires Infinite World loading.

Lets say in theory a Sector would be 2000KM (in theory of course). Your ship on 50KM would take 40 seconds to get trough a sector. 100 KM/second requires 20 Seconds. 200 KM/second 10 Seconds. 400 KM/second 5 seconds, 800KM/second 2,5 seconds, 1600KM/second 1,25 Seconds, 3200KM/second 0.75 seconds and so on and so on. even further? ok because you want it so bad. 6400KM/second 0.375 Seconds.

Even if 9999 woud be max speed then... oh yeah you wanted NO speed limit didnt you? 12800KM/second even faster, Boom Game crash. Boom Processor overheated. IF you have a crappy PC Boom bluescreen.

You get my point. This is of course what you want under NO speed limit

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would say the lmit is set to what it is(50Km/h) due the the server memory, if you had maximum settings on and you were going say 5000 Km/h that means more world generations, much faster rendering and possible glitches due to render errors because of the world rendering too fast.. plus if you were flying that fast, one minute your flying through space the next you wind up on the surface of a planet or inside a star.. unless you have a high-end computer with a good(2G+) along with a good processor then the limit should stay..

But.. maybe the game could automatically set the limit by rating your computer\'s performance then setting the maximum speed limit relative to what rating the game gives your computer :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem isn\'t the limit on the speed, the problem is getting between sectors is a pain in the ass. A new device, like a Mass Relay, either player controlled or maintained by the trading guild, would solve this problem quite nicely. Mass Effect was not by any means Hard Sci Fi, but it did present great ideas as solutions to the problem of FTL.

I recently turned my servers top speed up to 200, and I noticed the universe seemed a lot smaller. also, my tiny ships could travel at the same top speed as my gargantuan behemoth class, which makes very little sense considering a ship with larger engines and more energy cores should be much faster. (not accelerating faster, just have a higher top speed, like a warp speed as opposed to impulse engines)

My suggestion would be to increase top speed to somewhere like 100kms, but make that threshold much harder to reach, and to make it dependant on the engines. exmp: A small fighter would be able to menuver much faster, but would top out at 30kms (depending on engines) A massive ship would have VERY limited turning and menuvering capabilities, but would be able to travel closer to the 100kms speed. This still does not get you places very fast, and I know that others who will want to expand thier empire will want to zip around much faster. The Mass Relay (or whatever) would be able to shoot any ship that activates it several sectors away, (always along an x,y,z co-ord to make things simple and to increase the need to build multiples) depending on how many energy cores it has along with the relay devices. You could calibrate it by taking some of the devices away or changing the settings in its \"weapons\" menu.

what do you guys think? Am I overthinking this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Even with 50km/h in dogfights, it\'s really laggy/jittery due to the constant shifting through sectors, so being able to go faster than that is a major issue at the moment, especially with servers where the admins have increased the top speed to make things smoother when it comes to moving around, but is incredibly problematic for combat.

There simply needs to be an out-of-combat warp, where you can no-clip through asteroids, and move at around 100km/h or more so you can make that long slog to distant sectors without dieing of old age, but is only usable after 20-30+seconds have passed since you were last hit by a weapon (or something along those lines).

I talk about this issue in my thread(along with other pressing issues/ideas):

http://star-made.org/content/out-game-ship-building-tool#comment-16670

Reaction score
    I was on a server with a 1000km limit. Everything is a bit out of whack at that speed.

I\'d stop, and have to wait for the systems to catch up. My ship would be stopped, but the sector displayed would have to catch up to where I actually am. Asteroids didn\'t even load in time passing them.

I think a reasonable limit is going to be found based on the lower-end computers expected to be used.

Also, I don\'t know how the server has to handle all the different sectors being generated. If 10 people fly in 10 different directions, it\'s got to be harder on the server than if they all are in the same area. So keeping a lower speed limit effectively encourages them to stay in a smaller range from each other, which means more interaction, and less new sectors needing to be generated.

Besides...is a sector 1000 sectors away really going to be much different from one 3 sectors over from spawn? I don\'t know, but I doubt it.

Reaction score
    Speed limits were capped for a reason. Ships going too quickly is both glitchy and incredibly unbalanced. It\'s bad enough as it is when there are massive capital ships can can go from 0 to 50 in about a second.

Perhaps a system could be introduced where mass increases exponentially with each block. Eventually, with massive ships, more thrusters won\'t increase the speed, because the weight of the thruster will be almost equal to the force it is able to exert.

This would make capital ships heavier and slower. Comparitavely, fighters and frigates would be considerably faster without the need to create complex weight/thrust algorithms and such.

The exponential increase in mass should be minimal so as to not make any difference to smaller ships, but large ships (say, 1000+ mass) should be affected by it.

With a system like this in place, the speed could probably be increased without any major impact on balance.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But.. maybe the game could automatically set the limit by rating your computer\'s performance then setting the maximum speed limit relative to what rating the game gives your computer :D

Hah. i see this infront of me: Computer with a processor from 1999 VS Computer from Alienware with boss processor. Crappy PC: 30Km/s. Epic PC: 5505Km/second

but on a multiplayer server. when they are fighting each other.

Reaction score
    any ship given enough time to accelerate could reach the speed of light if they chose. and no you wouldn\'t die from this unless the rate of accelerations was over 80ish G\'s for more than a second... If the aceleration was slow enough than it wouldn\'t matter... it\'d just take ages to go that fast.

if you have ships that can go from 0-50KM/S in a second... thats 5102g\'s. You\'d be a nice paste if you experienced those kind of G\'s.

but thankfully its only 50KM/H thats a big difference in rate...thats like 13.9m/s but to go from 0-13.9m/s is only 1.418g\'s. If you are human, you would feel a slight discomfort similiar to riding a fast elevator up a building... it\'d be pretty mild experience.

You can\'t limit big ships top speeds. Its sticking the middle finger to basic physics. If you give big ships enough thrust to mass ratio. they should behave the same as small ships in terms of top speed and basic acceleration. They just require more thrust and more power to boot. The issue with the balancing is that large ships have it too easy when they can just stack mounds of thrusters together to achieve the needed speed.

Turning speed should technically be similar too.

Shear forces in space are kinda a joke.

There is nothing to oppose the turning speed and shouldn\'t be an issue for any object to rotate with accurately spaced thrusters. The difference between the small and the large ships would actually be turning radius. Big ships would have to apply that much more first to rotate the radius etc.

Don\'t read too much into the last bit, i\'m just saying the current balancing rules to allow for small ships is highly inaccurate to real physics. But its a game and i don\'t care.

I believe Small-Mid class ships 3000 blocks and below, should be more stealth based. And to balance out the game is instead of nerfing turn speed is to rework combat mechanics and roles of stealth in battle.

btw

50KM/H is actually really slow. Especially for space... You can drive a moped that fast lol...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only Speed Limit is what the server can handle, and what the Server Owners think there server can handle. The faster the ship the more the server has to load for every player making it more resource intensive the higher the limit, and due to how space is a Vaccum, and like other said there is no resistance in space Max speed is, and always should be able to be obtained by any size ship just the power needed, thrust needed, and turning speed would be limited by size.(larger the ship the more thrust is needed, meaning more power, and making it were it turns slower due to size/momentom needed to turn it.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Basically, what was suggested in many of the ship speed balance threads. Still, it has my full support.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You can change it on your own in the Server.cfg file, don\'t go above 200 though causes lag/problems

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    seriously in real life i love space and sci fi and i know my laws of physics and how stuff works... so...

first of all, more thrusters means faster acceleration and faster speed.

second, more MASS means slower acceleration and speed

third, gravity should depend on how many blocks there are, becaue evrything is always pushing and pulling. Gravity has many factors and equasions. here are 2 of the most common:

F = Gm1m2/r2,
    where F is the force due to gravity, between two masses (m1 and m2), which are a distance r apart; G is the gravitational constant.

From this is it straightforward to derive another, common, gravity equation, that which gives the acceleration due to gravity, g, here on the surface of the object:

g = GM/r2,
    Where M is the mass of the object, r the radius of the object (or distance between the center of the object and you, standing on its surface), and G is the gravitational constant.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/56157/gravity-equation/#ixzz2YKEI4ZBx

I just copied and pasted that :p

i also changed to wherever it said earth for the second equasion to object because really it could stand for anything, technically. anyways, i hoped my science and space experteists helped. also i hpe this blows all your minds. plz brainstorm with this new info.

note: i will be 14 on the 10th of july :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ALL YOU PEOPLE ABOVE AND BELOW WHO SAID WHEIGHT ARE INCORRECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEIGHT IS DEFIGNED BY THIS EQUASION, AND WHEIGHT CAN CHANGE IN PRESCENCE OF DIFFERENT GRAVITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, kind of like pressure. F=G((M1 * M2)/d2) hope you can understand that

HOWEVER, MASS DOES OT CHANGE!!!!!!! MASS IS THE NUMBER OF MOLECULES/ATOMS IN AN OBJECT. IT DOES NOT CHANGE UNLESS A CHANGE OF THE OBJECT HAPPES!!!!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    F=G((M1 * M2)/d2)

From this is it straightforward to derive another, common, gravity equation, that which gives the acceleration due to gravity, g, here on the surface of the object:

g = GM/r2,
    Where M is the mass of the object, r the radius of the object (or distance between the center of the object and you, standing on its surface), and G is the gravitational constant.

F = Gm1m2/r2,
    where F is the force due to gravity, between two masses (m1 and m2), which are a distance r apart; G is the gravitational constant.

This is a suggestion forum. not a math class. around like 50% don\'t understand this. just tell in layman terms what everyone can understand and how it affects the gameplay...