500k+ AMCs on a single computer

Reaction score
    Oh wow, I didn\'t know that setting was even there. I have 8gb of ram, and it\'s using 1gb.

Now if only I knew what \"Early Generation Memory\" meant.

Reaction score
    Nice personal attacks those are always useful!

Why would anyone put thousands of single arrays? I was just pointing out that having that many in a single array is horribly inefficient. And it doesn\'t matter if you do \"efficient\" lines or not, to get past millions of regen, you just have to spam blocks, and that is easy to do, same with power tanks.

Also using blueprint material blocks is basically the same as a /give command, money is this game is so easy to get the only difference is it takes a few more seconds to salvage 8k blocks at a time than to type the commands, and it doesn\'t require admin.

Anyway, enjoy your ship and any crashes that come with it :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    8Gb of RAM with a 4.4Ghz i7, and a 64bit OS (and 64bit java).

I have set the RAM usage for java higher. I inceased it even further, and it made no difference.

The problem is, when the game starts to get down to 1fps, my system becomes almost entirely unresponsive, which leads me to believe it\'s CPU related.

The game is also running from a Vertex4 SSD.

I\'m all out of ideas :/

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    between personal attacks, and defending myself from your ignorance.

Friendly advice... if you\'re going to insult someone and make claims about how they behave/do things, then at least educate yourself about that person first and base your remarks on facts.

Spaming blocks is easy when your ship is a giant cube, which mine is cearly not.

Salvaging blueprinted cubes is also more work than you claim, since it took me and two other friends over a week to find enough L5 minerals to get the cash-flow needed... as well as salavaging stations for raw hull. Make it out to be whatever you want, I don\'t really care about your opinion.

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Oh, there\'s a new update with a new feature that you may want to try out and see if it helps.

You should be able to tell from task manager whether you really are at 100% CPU or not, and see your memory and disk usage as well, assuming you have a modern operating system (i.e. not windows xp).

Screenshot of windows 8 task manager showing CPU, memory, disk, and network %s, stored on puush, will disappear eventually if not viewed for a while:

So far for me, when StarMade has slowed to a crawl, Windows has remained responsive, even if my CPU usage hits 100% (although I haven\'t had StarMade itself hit 100% even with the dedicated server running, but then I haven\'t tried what you\'re doing).

Usually whenever I\'ve had a computer become almost entirely unresponsive, it was due to the disk usage hitting 100% and then something trying to push it further and windows not managing it all to keep it from slowing the system down.

Or, running out of RAM or nearly out of RAM results in windows dumping a ton of stuff to virtual memory on the hard drive, which slows everything way the hell down because it\'s so much slower than RAM, which is why I asked if you were running out of RAM. 8 GB is twice as much RAM as I have, but then I have not tried building anything anywhere near as colossal as what you are working on, and neither have I gone near anything that big. So who knows.

You\'d think running the game from an SSD would help, except if the RAM starts dumping to virtual memory and that\'s on a normal (SATA or PATA) hard drive, it\'ll still crap out. But then, you don\'t want your computer to use your SSD for virtual memory anyways, because it\'ll wear it out faster.

Reaction score
    Theres a new update that might fix it.

Heres a link for a project of mine, the AMCs dont lag for me, though they do randomly get disconected from the computer. http://star-made.org/content/rebel-cruiser

Reaction score
    I didn\'t insult you. You said I was being \"jelly\", I responded saying that anyone can place hundreds of thousands of blocks in a ship which removes any of the bonuses from said blocks. I never attacked you, unlike how you respond (and continue to) to me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Are you going to keep arguing about who insulted who until you\'re blue in the face?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Once the server I\'m playing on at the moment comes baack online (I think it\'s out of date) I\'ll give it a try.

Meanwhile, I will fire up my local server and do some tests...

I\'ve also checked disk space, I have loads of it still, so it\'s not that I don\'t think. I\'ve really done troubleshooting on all aspects of it being a hardware thing (I\'ve been a PC tech for 17 years) or even a driver/java thing. I\'m pretty sure it\'s something along the lines of what was mentioned earlier in the thread by (sorry, forgot username) someone... there\'s likely a calculation loop that\'s not closed properly which is just hammering the CPU.

I will report back in this thread once I have established it either being fixed, improved, or no change.

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your images don\'t show how big your AMC array is though.... so I can\'t really tell whether or not by looking at it, if it will still be a problem or not.

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"There is no skill in what you are doing... \"

I find that insulting.

End of story.

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My computer actually resonds now though (I can alt+tab now without having to pain-stakingly remove the weapons computer).

CPU usage is at 30%, RAM at 55%.... so it\'s not a CPU thing after-all from what I can see anyway.

I left it in game for about 10 minutes to try and see if it improved after the ship loaded in completely, but nope... still the same.

NOTE: This affects any player who comes close enough to the ship for the weapons computer to load in. If the AMCs only load in, it\'s not a problem... once the weapons computer loads, it kills the fram rate.

Here is a link to a RAR file containing the blueprint for the version of the ship that\'s got the problem if you want to check it out yourself: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/604141/6%20-%20SAVE%20GAMES/starmade/blueprints/TheMessoris-Coil-Stage2.rar

The weapons computer is on the left side of the bridge as highlighted in this first linked picture (even though the picture doesn\'t actually have the computer in question, screenshot was taken before the computer was added) in case you want to try and get to that spot, ready to delete it in the event of 1fps... you will find this section of the ship behind the \"mask\" of the organic rear section of the ship as seen in the second linked image.
    Location of computer on bridge - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/604141/5%20-%20GAME%20SCREENSHOTS/Starmade/messoris-computer.jpg
    Outside view of \"mask\" to help locate bridge - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/604141/5%20-%20GAME%20SCREENSHOTS/Starmade/dervish-stage4.png

*EDIT*

On closer inspection of my CPU activity, I notice that the 7th core almost maxxes out to 100%, while others are sitting around 30%. So, it still may be CPU related if schema is processing the AMC generation on the 7th core for i7 CPUs.

Netowrk AND Hard disk activity is also spiking like a mofo... going from 0 to 100% like some wickedly agressive sawblade.

See image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/604141/5%20-%20GAME%20SCREENSHOTS/Starmade/resources.jpg

With the game running 800x600 window mode (which improves frame rate by 300%) it still gets 1fps. Here is the game running side by side to resource monitor: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/604141/5%20-%20GAME%20SCREENSHOTS/Starmade/resources2.jpg

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nobody got a chance to test this with the blueprints I uploaded?

I really hope to find out if this is just something that needs to be avoided from now until forever, or if there is a chance it can be \"fixed\". Narrowing down the actual amount of AMCs, or even trying it with different system specs seeing if it yeilds different results would be awesome.

I\'m also happy to hop on skype with anyone willing to check it out, to help explain things and discuss where the problem may be.

~TheSol

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Same problem here, but appearing at a much earlier stage. Didn\'t use your blueprint, was building a ship of my own. It has thee cannons, each consisting of a checkerboard array of 1x1x360 Antimatter Cannons and Salvage Beams. There are 524 Salvage beams and about the same number of AMCs. At around 70% AMCs connected, once I loged back in, the FPS dropped to sub-1fps levels (it shows one fps, but I can see the frames rendering each 5-10 seconds.

Interestingly, the Salvage beams caused no problems. They are too connected to a single Salvage Computer.

Removing the weapon computer solves the problem (although I also had to readd my ship from blueprint as parts were missing).

System:

i7-3770K @stock

16 GB ram DDR3 2400 mhz

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB

Sapphire HD7870XT

cya

Raziel-chan

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    hey we got the exact same problem.

my ship is nowhere that sixe but the gun setup is \"alot of guns\" instead of a big block

8064 gun blocks only

(((8x3)+1)x16) x18)

anyone nearing the gun setup (the ship is only gun parts right now) gets 1fps when logging in or nearing it and if computer block delete clears right up.

no idea how to solve it - but it seems to be same with smaller gun setup too