3d model Rendering Assistance Needed

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    First off i would like to say i hope that im posting in the right area. Since im technically building a space station not a ship.

That being said thanks for taking a look at this

so i been fiddling with 3d rendering for a few weeks trying to render a model into starmade. i have been succesful in the past with small models (under 500 LxWxH).

i use sketchup or blender to scale, export as obj, then into binvox, then export into smedit to save the file. smedit for me does not function if i try to import a obj i just get a funky java error, i can post a screenie if anyone is interested.

so the spacestation im trying to render is some what big. or at least i want it to be big. enough to house titan class ships (roughly 800 in lengh and width)

now problem is alot of these programs have rendering problems meaning they either have limits or just simply crash outright.

now binvox has a limit of 1024. although this make a fairly sized station, it falls short of my goal. now its within reason that my ambitions might be to high to i rather ask some of the seasoned builders out there what are there remedies. ive seen a few stations in the community board that are bigger then 1024 and resemble something that was brought in using a 3d modeler not hand crafted. so i kinda wanna understand how did they achieve that size.

thanks in advance for any assitance you can lend

Reaction score
    One way might be (If it's symmetrical) to render one half or one quarter (Even an eighth, if it's 3-axis-symmetrical) of the desired item. With an 800-meter diameter, though, you should be good. Unless you mean 800-meter radius, in which case cutting it in half should work.

All you have to do is copy-paste (Or, better yet, make the 3-d object into a template in-game) the section with any applicable mirrors and you'd be done.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    First off i would like to say i hope that im posting in the right area. Since im technically building a space station not a ship.

That being said thanks for taking a look at this

so i been fiddling with 3d rendering for a few weeks trying to render a model into starmade. i have been succesful in the past with small models (under 500 LxWxH).

i use sketchup or blender to scale, export as obj, then into binvox, then export into smedit to save the file. smedit for me does not function if i try to import a obj i just get a funky java error, i can post a screenie if anyone is interested.

so the spacestation im trying to render is some what big. or at least i want it to be big. enough to house titan class ships (roughly 800 in lengh and width)

now problem is alot of these programs have rendering problems meaning they either have limits or just simply crash outright.

now binvox has a limit of 1024. although this make a fairly sized station, it falls short of my goal. now its within reason that my ambitions might be to high to i rather ask some of the seasoned builders out there what are there remedies. ive seen a few stations in the community board that are bigger then 1024 and resemble something that was brought in using a 3d modeler not hand crafted. so i kinda wanna understand how did they achieve that size.

thanks in advance for any assitance you can lend
    This would go in game support actually.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    One way might be (If it's symmetrical) to render one half or one quarter (Even an eighth, if it's 3-axis-symmetrical) of the desired item. With an 800-meter diameter, though, you should be good. Unless you mean 800-meter radius, in which case cutting it in half should work.

All you have to do is copy-paste (Or, better yet, make the 3-d object into a template in-game) the section with any applicable mirrors and you'd be done.
    first off ty for the quick reply. so for starters its not symetical. not in the slightest lol. ive thought of this method to cut the model up into components and peice em together. but i wanna leave that as a last resort since that might take a millenium to actually achieve.

im curious what do you mean when you said make the 3d object a template in game. can you elaborate on that? are you saying make it a actual object in the game you have to find and then justs take it over manually and save as a blue print. cause thats what i understand and if its possible it would be a worthwhile to accually figure out how to do this.
    [doublepost=1471969723,1471969369][/doublepost]
    This would go in game support actually.
    ahh thanks for the heads up. well if a mod can lend a hand and move the thread id be most appreciated :)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    first off ty for the quick reply. so for starters its not symetical. not in the slightest lol. ive thought of this method to cut the model up into components and peice em together. but i wanna leave that as a last resort since that might take a millenium to actually achieve.

im curious what do you mean when you said make the 3d object a template in game. can you elaborate on that? are you saying make it a actual object in the game you have to find and then justs take it over manually and save as a blue print. cause thats what i understand and if its possible it would be a worthwhile to accually figure out how to do this.
    [doublepost=1471969723,1471969369][/doublepost]
    ahh thanks for the heads up. well if a mod can lend a hand and move the thread id be most appreciated :)
    AndyP

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Sure, can move it. =)

[Edit]
    Done.
    Well rereading the thread, I am sort of the wrong person on this topic.
    Maybe Bobby Bighoof knows about possible ways to import a 3d-model into starmade.
    (Some others for sure may know too, but he is the one that first comes in mind for that.)
    [/Edit]

- Andy

Reaction score
    So, first you're going to want to get this thing in game. Make it into a ship however you know how, in the largest sections you can (Never done this, so I don't know).
    Next, you're going to make sure that your config is set right---you need to be able to select the entire section at once. Then, choose the "Save" option in adv build mode. Might not be called save, I don't remember. Anyway, once you do that, you'll get to name it. You've now saved a chunk of whatever this is as a template. You can then load this template anywhere else, at any time. So, you make templates of, say, 3 of 4 pieces of the station, then piece them back together by using the "Load" and "Paste" functions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, first you're going to want to get this thing in game. Make it into a ship however you know how, in the largest sections you can (Never done this, so I don't know).
    Next, you're going to make sure that your config is set right---you need to be able to select the entire section at once. Then, choose the "Save" option in adv build mode. Might not be called save, I don't remember. Anyway, once you do that, you'll get to name it. You've now saved a chunk of whatever this is as a template. You can then load this template anywhere else, at any time. So, you make templates of, say, 3 of 4 pieces of the station, then piece them back together by using the "Load" and "Paste" functions.
    ok so maybe i should of explained my self a little more. i kno how to make a ingame template of objects. i was trying to figure out if you was eluding to a method of creating a .smtpl file by converting a obj into a .smtpl. like if there was a converting program out there.

the problem im having is that i cannot render a object bigger then 800 block cube into the game. either smedit crashes or something else screws up along the process. so i wnated to kno how did some people in the forum were successful in rendering those huge objects like this one.

Mushroom Station 'shell' or 'base'