3 to 10+ floors Elevator

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    this is only prototype I've made quickly , it's working pretty well , here's a video:

you can have as much floors as you want as long as you have enough space for the circuit (each floor add around 30 logic blocks)
    btw it cant work with more than 1 user at the same time ^^

it's also the best example on why XOR gates must be implemented , it would divide by 8 the number of logic blocks ...

Reaction score
    This looks awesome, and yes XOR gates would be good but something else would be even better...not going to mention it.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    ToyotaSupra thks :) , what thing you don't want to mention ?

XxDanclarke96xX no , basically an elevator x)
    and btw it does not switch gravity automatically , you first have to choose the floor before it changes gravity ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But when you open the door, you are upside down.

Did you try to:
    1. let the door open automatically when you approach it: with area triggers.
    2. close it when a player leaves by going away (a further away area to trigger) or uses the elevator.
    3. correct the gravity and open the door when you approach the door from inside while walking on the ceiling? (A line of area triggers on the ceiling in the inside inside)

I think it is a great work, but I would like a solution with fewer offset logic.
    I once tried something with just 12 blocks per level (no offset) and then realized that logic (except the first activation) does not trigger gravity :(

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    1.I can do it easily, I just have replace button by area trigger
    2.it's already implemented
    3.I can't or I'll need to add way more logic :(

I once tried something with just 12 blocks per level (no offset) and then realized that logic (except the first activation) does not trigger gravity :(
    that's why I use many logic blocks (and you cant see in the video but when someone is in the elevator , all the doors are locked until the user go out)

Reaction score
    Great idea, I did toy with something similar myself but congratz on seeing your idea into reality and posting it up!
    Few things to note:
    - This becomes crazy for BIG elevators - any more than 9 floors and you start running out of space for floor switches, assuming you have half your ship free for all the logic!
    - After arriving at your destination, flip gravity back around and open the doors automatically for immediate exit.
    - So much red lighting!

Great job though, well done.
    ~CR~

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Little upgrade !

no I'm just kidding, the block are hidden here :p

but I'm not really kidding because actually I removed around 56 logic blocks wich is a good improvement I think ^^
    I'm going to improve the whole circuit and how it works :)

EDIT: CleanRabbit as you can see now it takes much less space and I can still reduce the space needed, the automatic door with gravity is something I'm working on ^^
    oh and the red lights.. well it 's just a prototype ><

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Have you ever thought about making a twin-elevator?

One part for going down, one for going upwards?
    You can have the level-choice inside a wall shared over both, but the submit buttons separated.

to #3:
    If you put the controls further behind (thus the user has to go away from the door to reach the controls), a single line of area triggers on the ceiling in front of the door which open it + fix gravity, it might work.

What happens if I use this elevator twice in quick progression without going out first?

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    yeah and it would be easier but it's twin, I'll make one after this one I think :)

it's more complicated than that sadly :/

gravity will activate to the next floor and then if you press the button again it will stop gravity and you'll have to press the button again to reactivate gravity and continue to the next floor :/

as a said I'm going to improve the system ^^

Last edited:

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    some improvements !
    (one parts is missing but you'll know why after)

well it's compact but for someone who's not used to logic it will be REALLY hard to understand how to build it, and even harder to understand how it works)
    this one can't work correctly because it needs fonctionnality the game don't have (as I said before using logic gates between an activator and a gravity block) or is working badly
    so I decided I will start from nothing and build a new one with three things in mind: it will be the easiest possible to build , stackable and pretty fast , this type of elevator will be called the SEEME aka "Stackable , Easy and Efficient Motherfucking Elevator" or at least I will try to build one x)

I think it would be great to come to a "standard" elevator model wich would be helpful for beginners because if a lot of people use the same elevator there will be tutorials, topics,etc.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    now the level of improvement is TOO DAMN HIGH !!

you see the last screenshots ? now look at this brand new elevator:
    (in the back it's the old one)

so instead of having 44 logic blocks (w/o plexdoors and area triggers), it have only 9 !
    and it's not the only difference, now the doors open and close automatically

how did I do to end up with something this small ? it's very simple: I found a way to know if someone is entering,exiting or inside and not just going through the door using one NAND latch and an AND

it's also easily stackable as there is only 2 wire going to each floor (don't forget it's just for the doors so there will be more when finished)

the door part is done the only thing last is the elevator part in itself :)

Reactions: CleanRabbit
    Reaction score
    Awesome stuffs. I'm massively impressed by the decrease in logic. You've done a great job to minimize it.
    I look forward to seeing your next round of improvements!

~CR~

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    CleanRabbit thanks a lot :)

I really worked a lot of time on it ^_^
    and btw I finished the "elevator" part of the elevator and it's perfectly working, it still has less logic gates than the old elevator's door system alone :D

what's the differences ? the whole elevator is based upon a bus system: the doors bus and elevator bus, both are 2-ways bus , the first bus will always be 2bit wide whether you have 5 or 300 floors (damn it would be a big ship xD)

while the second one will be bigger with more floor , in the screenshot it's a 3bit elevator bus wich means I could have 6 floors (remember you can't use adress 0 and and the max value).

on each floors there's a sort of "detector" wich check if the signal being transmitted on the bus is the current floor's adress, if so it will stop the signal to prevents useless logic updates and stop the user , if not it will send the signal on the next bus part

with a 4bit elevator bus you can have 14 floors , 30 with 5bit , 62 with 6bit etc...
    IMO I think 3bit or 4bit is enough ^_^

credulo that was my goal, making a working elevator with a tutorial on how to build it and then make it become a standard :)

I can't make a video in english because I'm french and talking about something technical like this in english will take me a lot of time
    (I would if there was a lot more than 10 peoples interested and willing to have a video tutorial in english)

but yeah I think I will do a text & screenshots tutorial :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    non-technical questions:
    Do you know how to make a video and let others speak a translation into it, while your voice is in the background? I am sure the video (or image) part will be the most time-consuming if you want newbies being able to understand it too.​

technical questions:
    does it work as expected if 2 peoples from different and same directions target the same floor?
    How does the system notify the user about an error?

Why does a 4bit only work on 14 rather than 16 floors? How did you use 0 and 15?

Does it work to use it twice in a row - without exiting first?
    Are you upside down while entering your second destination floor?

How does it work or notifies the user about an error if you forget -for example- floor 13 and have ...11,12,14,15... and he enters 13?

Can you give 2 floors -let's say 7 and 13- the same address so that the user goes from 0-6 to 13 and from 14-inf to floor 7 when he enters this address?​

If all above works, you did an amazing job! :cool:

Using a bus-system is a good choice.

Now you can create your Stargate-network with a 10000 km^3 station :D

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    does it work as expected if 2 peoples from different and same directions target the same floor?
    have you ever seen an elevator with two cabins ? because I don't O_O
    yeah 2 people can go to the same floor only if they wait for each other to arrive before pressing the exiting button (wich invert gravity when you are going up to not be upside down) or just wait for each other when going down but I think maybe I could improve this part but not sure due to limitation of gravity block's interactions with logic , etc...
    btw when someone is inside the door are locked and a red light turn at each floor

there is no errors except errors made by the user but he must be incredibly stupid to do mistakes and even the only mistake a user can really do is choosing the wrong floor so not such dangerous xD

0 can't be used because it's the ready state of the bus (wich means an user is inside) , the maximum value (wich i 15 for 4bit) can't be used because it's used to reset everything when an user leaves

no it does not
    due to limitation of gravity block's interactions with logic
    yep and for the same reason as above :/

he will see that nothing is happenning above or under him, because you can't go with gravity you have to deactivate gravity
    and always for the same reason: logic <--//--> gravity blocks xD

no it would add too much logic to the system wich is made to be easily buildable by anyone even those who are noob when it is about complex logic circuits

they are a lot of thing I just can't do
    due to limitation of gravity block's interactions with logic
    if this feature was implemented I would have already built a full automatic elevator where you just have to enter the cabin push the floor and press the submit button , whether you were under gravity or not it would work ^_^

I'm thinking about a gravity block wich can be activated by logic who activate gravity to all players in an area you set with area block , sort of inverted area trigger , It may be the easiest way to activate gravity with logic

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5