22,5° anyone?

Reaction score
    Now that shaped blocks were reformed, can I dare hope for 22,5° wedge blocks in the future? You know, twice as acute as the normal 45° wedge blocks. It would make wedge-shaped ship hulls look so much smoother.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The more wedges we have the more trouble they cause. Actually, there's enough blocks for now to build almost anything.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    If anything, I would like to see 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 sized wedges, tetras, etc. When using the stepped down sizes of regular armor blocks, you end up with jaggies along any angled edge. Being able to smooth that out would be awesome.

Reaction score
    Actually, there's enough blocks for now to build almost anything.
    You can't build a good-looking Star Destroyer, for example. All the attempts I've seen so far fall short because the restriction to 90° and 45° angles makes the result look blocky.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    You can't build a good-looking Star Destroyer, for example. All the attempts I've seen so far fall short because the restriction to 90° and 45° angles makes the result look blocky.
    Well, Mchain is kinda right, you can build most anything. It's just a matter of scale. With finer blocks, you can make smaller scale ships look good.

But that's really only important when you want to build a ship that exists in a fandom universe, and you want to make it look 'right'.

With the most recent patch, they have a system that can take on more block shapes. Hopefully we'll see some in the near future.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    And imagine how much blocks would we have if we got those 22,5-degree wedges. 2 for straight wedge, 5 for tetra, 6 for hepta, 6 for corner... 8 blocks for each type of armor or 27? and we have at least 49 types of armor. Well, I'd prefer blockiness in these circumstances.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    And imagine how much blocks would we have if we got those 22,5-degree wedges. 2 for straight wedge, 5 for tetra, 6 for hepta, 6 for corner... 8 blocks for each type of armor or 27? and we have at least 49 types of armor. Well, I'd prefer blockiness in these circumstances.
    Having more options isn't a bad thing, dood. The new way that blocks are displayed means that more block options can be created without drawbacks or messing with the 'old' blocks. You'd still have all the blockiness you desire, while other people's desire for less blockiness can be met.

It is, in the end, win-win.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Timrath
    Reaction score
    i imagine we will get 22.5 angles. BUT dont count on 11.25.. if we do get the full array, i demand block editor to move vectors around. because its a LOT of options.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Havig more options isn't a bad thing, dood. The new way that blocks are displayed means that more block options can be created without drawbacks or messing with the 'old' blocks. You'd still have all the blockiness you desire, while other people's desire for less blockiness can be met.

It is, in the end, win-win.
    The only drawback is that you'll need to constantly adjust your working set or cycle through those blocks manually. That's not the matter of indexes - that's the problem of comfort.

Adjustable vectors, as Kingreol said, seem to be a more viable solution. Even better - auto-adjustable vectors.

Reactions: Timrath

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    The only drawback is that you'll need to constantly adjust your working set or cycle through those blocks manually. That's not the matter of indexes - that's the problem of comfort.
    True, but we can pester Schine to make a better way of sorting and browsing the blocks. But for people who prefer the old way, you won't even see the new blocks unless you click on the 4-blue-blocks option at the very top. Nothing has really changed there.

Reaction score
    I posted about this a few weeks ago, it's on the table.. I pointed out sky wanderers having 22.5 and a need for a few blocks from the full array( 0 to 1/2 And 1/2 to full wedge.) Given this update gave the code base, It might not be schemas wheelhouse anymore, is kupo doing all the block editing stuff.? I imagine it's down the pipeline for him then. Definently there is a keeping up enough with the other space voxels, while still keeping it scaleable unlike space engineers. And 22.5 angles is popping up with the competition

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    To implement 1/2 wedges would require 2 new blocks
    To implement 1/4, 2/4 and 3/4 wedges would require 9 new blocks

Reaction score
    To implement 1/2 wedges would require 2 new blocks
    To implement 1/4, 2/4 and 3/4 wedges would require 9 new blocks
    I'd be fine with that, even if we don't get tetras and heptas. Iv suggested the 1/4 squished in the side wedge to support wing bits a bit more. And iv ran into that problem with 1/4 slabs not having a way to corner it off smoothly for wing stuff. So 3 blocks.. Not sure how many ids are left if that's doable
    [doublepost=1485707779,1485707343][/doublepost]I count 4 for 1/2 wedge slabs. The mini wedge, and the block with a mini wedge subtracted out of it's corner. Thou these would be used much less then the initial 2, used just to tie things smoothly or just random creative decor
    [doublepost=1485708388][/doublepost]We can ditch pink color, sacrifices have to be made, convert them all to ugly orange

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    The more wedges we have the more trouble they cause. Actually, there's enough blocks for now to build almost anything.
    Only thing i really want right now is more ice crystal and ice shapes ;-;
    But i wouldnt mind more wedge shapes.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score

Adding more wedge angles will take up an enormous number of block IDs and make config modding even more difficult.

Reaction score
    How many people are config modding these days? How many block Id are currently taken and how many total can we have

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    i gather we have used what 1/2 the block ids or less. its 2048 block ids? not the full array. just a few of the biggest ones that would see the most use in building. without putting starmade at 90% used block ids. even then he has said moving to 4 bytes is possible so i dont think a worry about block ids. now to make the system simple enough to use might be a bigger issue.

with the most recent update. its almost pointing that slab wedges is being thought over a bit. i think im more curious if the devs have it as a planned and we doing it eventually. or planned but rethinking and probly a no... if its a for sure thing just that alone id get excited. even if its after ai, crew, fleet, etc

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I will admit having all of those would allow for better detailing of smaller ships, and that is mainly what I build anyway, but if it's going to be a nightmare sorting through to find the shape I need then I say we dont need them.

A wise man once said "Starmade isn't a 3D modleing program" and I have to agree. There comes a point when you just have to say enough is enough. Are we at that point yet? I really don't think Schine through giving us new shapes to play with, but atm they seem to be concentrating on New LOD stuff.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Am I alone in wanting wedge slabs in addition to all the other tasty wedge shapes? (Wedge 3/4 thick, 1/2 thick, and 1/4 thick)