[14th of April] Schine Q&A Answers

Reaction score
    Dumb as they may be, they're capable of operating independently. Fleets don't follow a manned ship around, but rather act on their own with or without the owner present. Some operations require at least one player present, but that doesn't necessarily mean the player who owns the fleet. This is not acting like wingmen. This is independent action.
    While this is technically true, it is effically false. Un-attended drones are very easy to kite and destroy unless you put so many in one spot that it causes a player's machine to crash (which should not be possible, but that is another debate.)

If I drop 20 2-k drones along side my main ship, their potential to flank and distract is much more significant than having another 40k worth of flag ship. But, if I send them alone to deal with a player, a human pilot in a 20k frigate should be able to scatter and kill them all.

Reactions: MacThule and JinM

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    While this is technically true, it is effically false.
    If they did what they were designed to do, it would be completely true. I'm debating the design, not the glitchfest of a reality.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can't believe this thread has turned into a debate about the Rise of the Machines.

I personally like the idea of playing in a sandbox universe which can carry on ticking even when I'm not in it.

Reactions: Raisinbat
    Reaction score
    If they did what they were designed to do, it would be completely true. I'm debating the design, not the glitchfest of a reality.
    DoTA also has predefined units... This means that your AI learning sample is staying consistent. Training an AI to read variant enemy strategies through thousands of samples of trial and error is actually not that hard as long as there are a limited number of taggable units. Training an AI to be able to read an enemy ship's capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses based just on its demeanor and guess what its military doctrine will be is still doable, but harder. Training an AI to understand how to use whatever ship you put it in today is a very hard challenge without adding some complex AI handlers because what it learns from one ship will not apply to another.
    While I understand where you are coming from, the issue is more about the overwhelming hurdle of self-awareness in AI and not just some simple glitches breaking everything. Now this is not to say that self aware AI does not exist, and that it could not exist, but it would be a very difficult and labor intensive task to achieve that may not be worth the return for a small development company like Schine.

Things that are relatively easy to do with AI: Waypoints and following, predefined engagement ranges, fanning out to flank an enemy, learning patterns where the factors are constant (such as with most RTS games), and targeting (at which they are often much better than human).

Things people can do that are much harder for an AI. Predicting behaviors when you do not have existing analytics on your enemy's ship, understanding how and when to use a varied weapons loadout, knowing how to angle your ship to protect vital systems, knowing how to use circumstantial logic systems, learning when to use each type of support system and chamber ability which it may or may not even have, knowing how to change overall strategies based on the availability of certain subsystems (such as stealth or tractor beams), and knowing when those systems are built up enough to be worth using as a core strategy, learning how to mitigate your ship's specific weaknesses and exploit its strengths, learning how to exploit an enemy's specific weaknesses and mitigate their strengths, collision avoidance on variable and often unpredictable ship profiles, managing acceleration and turn rates on various sizes of ships to prevent flying way off and becoming disengaged from the fight, and relocating the fight if you drift too far out (this last one is not so much an issue with AI, as it is an issue with unloading preventing AI behavior)... and that' just what I can come up with off the top of my head.
    [doublepost=1526406090,1526405843][/doublepost]
    I can't believe this thread has turned into a debate about the Rise of the Machines.

I personally like the idea of playing in a sandbox universe which can carry on ticking even when I'm not in it.
    I like certain levels of automation to, but I believe the debate here is about how much of that is reasonable to expect, and also, at what point too much AI involvement breaks the core of the game.

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    A: An official background creator is no planned. It is possible to create your own skyboxes by disabling the procedural background and replacing the skybox files in your installation. It may take some fiddling with image editing software. There is a good chance we will continue to improve the backgrounds of the game as time goes on but it is not a priority at the moment. - Criss

schema the universe update will make some updates to the background in that you will be able to tell what region of the galaxy you are in (by objects in the distance). I’m also planning to redo the star shader representing systems in the distance to make it more pretty,
    On an unrelated note. Where would one find this folder?

Reaction score

On an unrelated note. Where would one find this folder?

Two in one : hmm... talking about the post become an unrelated note ?

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    This leaves me wondering if the ideal mass distribution is the main thing that hurts RP builds. Wouldn't it be better to say "about half of your mass needs to be armor to work well. You can make it look however you want though." (It's also important to remember the difference between a 'sane' or functional RP build and one that gives no thought to function. Only sane RP builds can reasonably be considered for balancing.)
    It's kind of impressive how every single god damn time someone makes a point about "The game mechanics are busted and don't work" it always gets twisted into "how can we make the game accomodate RP better?"

To answer your question; 20/20/20/20/20 is NOT an "optimal" configuration, its just a generally effective standard for a good jack of all trades ship; not specialized for defense, offense or anything else. If your ship is 60/10/10/10/10 why would you not cut down armor by half then double shields, weapons and thust? This is the crux of RP failure; they never compromise their designs to accomodate the mechanics, instead expecting the mechanics to be twisted and bend to accomodate their specific ship. You CANNOT write mechanics that encourage you to ignore them, which is what RP ships do, attempting to do this is what created this entire mess.

Look at it this way; if you make a ship with 70% armor but all of it is hull, 20% thrust and 10% weapon with overdrive effect you'd end up with a ship that is without a doubt weaker for its mass than the 20/20/20/20/20 design, but that ship would consist of 95% hull, reactor, capacitor and thruster, all dirt cheap garbage blocks that cost next to nothing; it would cost a fraction of other ships but this design could still fight. Such a design has next to zero negative impact on RP building as you have all the armor mass you could ever want and empty space for interiors are just spaced armor with zero drawbacks, yet no RP builder builds their ships this way. It's not that mass distribution makes RP building impossible, it's 100% that RP builders aren't trying to make effective ships so they don't. No change in mechanics can solve this.

NOT having a "optimal" configuration is what my entire post is about; if you're building a ~10-20k mass ship for taking on 300k mass cruisers you wouldn't follow 20/20/20/20/20 eiter; what good is armor for a ship like that? You are much better off piling everything into weapons and speed. You have to sacrifice shielding too or you stand no chance of breaking their shields, but a ship like this ends up having trouble against similar sized builds because of how specialized they are; you need lots of ion damage to break the shielding so you cant fit a lot of anti armor/hull weapons letting a good generalist ship outlast you.

A lot of people continue to call for fleets and AI, and I can see why, but I'm still concerned that the large-scale strategy will end up consuming the game's soul. There's not a lot of point in designing your own ships if you don't interact with them and use them yourself. The current AI is really only suitable for small fighters. Maybe that's all AI should be.
    Being able to design your own fleets for an RTS sounds pretty badass to me, but welcome to the fundamental flaw of starmade; nobody knows what it's supposed to be. I'd be perfectly happy to have any notion of crew and even walking around as a guy completely removed from the game. Obviously not everyone agrees about that but having multiple distinct games fused into one mega-game is really bad for everyone; performance will suffer from having to calculate pathfinding for characters, and i can easily see starmade doing the same bullshit that left X-rebirth unplayable for years, where walking around as a person and interacting with crew is seen as important and immersive by the devs, so you are forced to waste hundreds of hours in your spaceship game not flying spaceships but rather being dragged through interiors you dont care about to go through the exact same conversation thousands of times in order to do something that shouldve been done through a menu.

Repeat this video 100 times and that's what playing X-rebirth is like, NOT an exaggeration. You NEED to do this for every station in the game to see their trade offers, and there are hundreds of them, with about 4 different conversations all going exactly the same as this one. The game wasn't playable at all until modders made enough bypasses to skip the fucking NPC interaction because it dragged the game down so much.

A lot of the suggestions made here further highlight how divided we are on what we actually want starmade to be; things like crew interaction, oxygen simulation and interactive ship elements sound more like they belong in animal crossing. Starmade has no clear vision for what it wants to be.

Instead of working towards a goal schine treats starmade as just a feature list, with no regard for how those features are supposed to work or what they're even there for. The result it everyone making suggestions are assuming schine are trying to make the game they want, so you have a hundred directions, many of them completely incompatible, stretching the game with too many bloated features.

I could still enjoy starmade even if it removed shipbuilding entirely, even if it did just turn into animal crossing in space, but its turning into some godforsaken abomination that doesn't focus on anything so it wont do anything well.

What I'm saying is, I'm not sure it's good for the game in the long run to have AI capable of operating completely independently with no players present. After a certain point, AI becomes so advanced that players are just about out of the picture. With a game that's centered around building things, it's not good for the endgame to eliminate interaction with most of the stuff you build. A balance has to be struck. Where that balance is remains up for debate, but needs to be somewhere. IMO fleets should act more like wingmen to player-manned ships so that they are player interactive at their core rather than independent at their core like they are now. The idea of fleets is good, but the current (half-)execution will end up being bad for the heart and soul of the game.
    How are you going to protect your assets while offline if the AI can't do it? Not that you're wrong about anything in this post, but seems like you want starmade to be about being a character running around and not an empire builder or RTS, which would require starmade to have some kind of idea of what it wants to be.

Reaction score
    Two in one : hmm... talking about the post become an unrelated note ?
    Unrelated to the present debate, but 100% related to the OP, so still on-topic from a forum moderation perspective.

It's kind of impressive how every single god damn time someone makes a point about "The game mechanics are busted and don't work" it always gets twisted into "how can we make the game accomodate RP better?"

To answer your question; 20/20/20/20/20 is NOT an "optimal" configuration, its just a generally effective standard for a good jack of all trades ship; not specialized for defense, offense or anything else. If your ship is 60/10/10/10/10 why would you not cut down armor by half then double shields, weapons and thust? This is the crux of RP failure; they never compromise their designs to accomodate the mechanics, instead expecting the mechanics to be twisted and bend to accomodate their specific ship. You CANNOT write mechanics that encourage you to ignore them, which is what RP ships do, attempting to do this is what created this entire mess.

Look at it this way; if you make a ship with 70% armor but all of it is hull, 20% thrust and 10% weapon with overdrive effect you'd end up with a ship that is without a doubt weaker for its mass than the 20/20/20/20/20 design, but that ship would consist of 95% hull, reactor, capacitor and thruster, all dirt cheap garbage blocks that cost next to nothing; it would cost a fraction of other ships but this design could still fight. Such a design has next to zero negative impact on RP building as you have all the armor mass you could ever want and empty space for interiors are just spaced armor with zero drawbacks, yet no RP builder builds their ships this way. It's not that mass distribution makes RP building impossible, it's 100% that RP builders aren't trying to make effective ships so they don't. No change in mechanics can solve this.

NOT having a "optimal" configuration is what my entire post is about; if you're building a ~10-20k mass ship for taking on 300k mass cruisers you wouldn't follow 20/20/20/20/20 eiter; what good is armor for a ship like that? You are much better off piling everything into weapons and speed. You have to sacrifice shielding too or you stand no chance of breaking their shields, but a ship like this ends up having trouble against similar sized builds because of how specialized they are; you need lots of ion damage to break the shielding so you cant fit a lot of anti armor/hull weapons letting a good generalist ship outlast you.

Being able to design your own fleets for an RTS sounds pretty badass to me, but welcome to the fundamental flaw of starmade; nobody knows what it's supposed to be. I'd be perfectly happy to have any notion of crew and even walking around as a guy completely removed from the game. Obviously not everyone agrees about that but having multiple distinct games fused into one mega-game is really bad for everyone; performance will suffer from having to calculate pathfinding for characters, and i can easily see starmade doing the same bullshit that left X-rebirth unplayable for years, where walking around as a person and interacting with crew is seen as important and immersive by the devs, so you are forced to waste hundreds of hours in your spaceship game not flying spaceships but rather being dragged through interiors you dont care about to go through the exact same conversation thousands of times in order to do something that shouldve been done through a menu.

Repeat this video 100 times and that's what playing X-rebirth is like, NOT an exaggeration. You NEED to do this for every station in the game to see their trade offers, and there are hundreds of them, with about 4 different conversations all going exactly the same as this one. The game wasn't playable at all until modders made enough bypasses to skip the fucking NPC interaction because it dragged the game down so much.
    Agree so much on all of this that each paragraph deserves its own agree tag.

A lot of the suggestions made here further highlight how divided we are on what we actually want starmade to be; things like crew interaction, oxygen simulation and interactive ship elements sound more like they belong in animal crossing. Starmade has no clear vision for what it wants to be.

Instead of working towards a goal schine treats starmade as just a feature list, with no regard for how those features are supposed to work or what they're even there for. The result it everyone making suggestions are assuming schine are trying to make the game they want, so you have a hundred directions, many of them completely incompatible, stretching the game with too many bloated features.
    This part I disagree with. Schine tells players "No" quite often when it comes to their suggestions to the point that it's caused a lot of people to quit when they disagreed with the direction the game was going. However, I would argue that Schine often introduces mechanics that are contrary to their own, well documented goals because they do not accurately predict how players will actually use these features. This IMO actually comes from not listening enough to suggestions rather than being too flexible to them.

Honestly, I kinda feel like we have the suggestions forum backwards. Instead of dozens of player ideas drowning the forums every month, Schema would be better off posting his ideas to get player feedback about how they may cause or fix issues with the game. If his new features were presented to the community before spending time developing them, 80% of them they would have been nixed do to obvious exploits or had their concepts refined pre-implementation so that they would not need all this constant revision, or worse, creating situations where bad mechanics stay in because they are too hard to remove.

Reaction score
    Honestly, I kinda feel like we have the suggestions forum backwards.
    Empyrion has a suggestions forum too: Suggestions

Every EA game has a suggestions forum. And is it the case, that the players in Empyrion or in Space Engineers act up and demand things?

It's just that Starmade players think they have some kind of vote on the things. The suggestion forum is to discuss ideas from gamer to gamer. It's just the problem that Schine misscommunicated the purpose of the forum and acted like players have a vote (council). Considering the players opinion or obeying demands the playerbase has is a difference.

The only purpose of the suggestions forum is, that you get a way to participate in the brainstorming and idea gathering process of the game. You don't get a bloddy vote and no one except Schine themself has any right to say what direction the game takes.

You guys don't have any right of participation in the actual decission making. Just because people can share their ideas in this forum, doesn't mean that those ideas have any guiding impact. They are just ideas. Not direction dictating playerbase opinions. Just opinions in themself.

Or did I miss something new? Do we have a democracy here were each player of Starmade got a vote? Is this the country of Starmade, next to the Sandbox-ocean, within the continent of Creativiland?

Did you guys pay to get a vote on the game? Did they say that each time you give feedback, that you also cast a vote on important decissions? Or did you sign up on a forum for free, and payed 15€ for Starmade to play it? Or did I miss the sentence in Starmade's description page where is written: "If you pay 15€ you get a monthly vote on the games direction."?

Jesus, the suggestions forum in every forum for games is to communicate brainstorm ideas from player to player. You can talk with other players about the game. Just because we had a council over 2 bloddy years ago, doesn't mean the suggestions forum is now in any kind different from any other early access game forum.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I believe that Schema just wants to focus on building a universe simulator for the time being and only has a vague idea of what kind of game he's going to make out of it when he's done.
    Just so long as he doesn't get so ambitious he believes he can please everyone, I'm sure *some* form of game will get distilled out of all this development work for us to have more specific arguments about.

Personally I like the idea of crew, so long as their main function is to incur performance bonuses to ships and can be controlled either via a conversation dialogue or a menu in the Flight Mode. That way I can have efficient control and immersion when I feel like it. Whether the game engine can cope with rendering all those NPCs is for Schine to figure out.

Reaction score
    Empyrion has a suggestions forum too: Suggestions

Every EA game has a suggestions forum. And is it the case, that the players in Empyrion or in Space Engineers act up and demand things?

It's just that Starmade players think they have some kind of vote on the things. The suggestion forum is to discuss ideas from gamer to gamer. It's just the problem that Schine misscommunicated the purpose of the forum and acted like players have a vote (council). Considering the players opinion or obeying demands the playerbase has is a difference.

The only purpose of the suggestions forum is, that you get a way to participate in the brainstorming and idea gathering process of the game. You don't get a bloddy vote and no one except Schine themself has any right to say what direction the game takes.

You guys don't have any right of participation in the actual decission making. Just because people can share their ideas in this forum, doesn't mean that those ideas have any guiding impact. They are just ideas. Not direction dictating playerbase opinions. Just opinions in themself.

Or did I miss something new? Do we have a democracy here were each player of Starmade got a vote? Is this the country of Starmade, next to the Sandbox-ocean, within the continent of Creativiland?

Did you guys pay to get a vote on the game? Did they say that each time you give feedback, that you also cast a vote on important decissions? Or did you sign up on a forum for free, and payed 15€ for Starmade to play it? Or did I miss the sentence in Starmade's description page where is written: "If you pay 15€ you get a monthly vote on the games direction."?

Jesus, the suggestions forum in every forum for games is to communicate brainstorm ideas from player to player. You can talk with other players about the game. Just because we had a council over 2 bloddy years ago, doesn't mean the suggestions forum is now in any kind different from any other early access game forum.
    Lol, you seem to be missing the point entirely. I never said that schema should be obligated to do what we say, I'm talking about leveraging play testers the way that an actual company would. This game is Alpha, and we are his play testers. No, we are not on payroll, but that is the whole point of having an open alpha game. You forfeit some of your non-disclosure protection so that you can get a group of free testers. Successful, big budget games are good and clean because of thousands of hours spent in dialogue between the people who make the system, and the people who break the system. In a gaming company, programmers do not actually decide most of the final stats and configs on most of the in-game content (or even physics models). It's the play testers who use the system day in and day out who learn to know what is balanced or not. They are the difference between a good idea and a good execution. You don't see Schema wasting 3 months designing a titan with complex weapons and armor. He hasn't been in any major faction wars. He doesn't spend his lunch breaks planning out exploits or calculating metas for his next new ship... but he has people who do, who care and are honestly willing to help him meet his goals.

What he does as one man is impressive, but he simply does not have the experience to predict what players will do to break his game as well as his players do; so, why not ask us "what would you do to break this?" before implementing it.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It's the play testers who use the system day in and day out who learn to know what is balanced or not.
    This is true. I think it would be a good idea to run systems by the playtesters before implementing.

The problem with relying on the playtesters for design input seems to be that because they are generally players and not designers, they often can't see past their own personal playstyles and preferences to the bigger picture. Take combat for example. Most of the PvP vets seem to be so completely locked into the idea of combat as it is on a given day, that they reject anything that might change that even if it could be an overall improvement. Many seem to believe that 1v1 combat, to the death, match by match is the definitive measure of the functionality of the combat system, but between features like fleets and the actual written roadmap (which paints empire-building - not piloting a ship - as the convergence point of all the career paths) it's clear that Schine is driving much more in the direction of mass-combat over a strategic length of time. Balancing combat to make 1v1 pvp 'bouts' run well is not necessarily what will make fleet combat and war on an imperial scale work out well.

PvP players are here for the fight, and so far 1v1 has been most of that because it's been the only thing viable (actually, not really, but group battles are rarely referenced here in discussion of the applied viability of combat balance). If Schine relied entirely on their feedback and never just blew it off, the end result would be an RTS with combat mechanics balanced for dueling. Maybe that could rurn out great, but I am dubious.

Some of the PvPers are more open-minded and flexible about what combat "should be," but many of the most vocal have a track record of trashing anything that doesn't relate to today's fights on server in a way that makes sense to them and the style of play they are used to.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    @DEVS.

OK so I like the update but its broken. you can not use cannon beam or missile in the 3rd slave slot and old effects are still there. idk if this is intentional as it works w/ the new power system as far as i can tell. I'm wondering if this will be fixed/changed to match the release notes or if you guys simply changed your minds. This is important to know so myself and others can continue building ships/stations/turrets effectively and know whats going on.

Also, In the shield tech tree there is a damage reduction chamber for high damage weapons and low damage weapons. What constitutes high or low damage? this number varies vastly from person to person and build to build we need a number that the game is looking for. ie weapons that deal over x damage/ shot or tick are considered high damage. OR is it by weapon type? ex. cannon cannon no matter how big is considered low damage while cannon beam is high damage.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I thought that the high-low damage reduction effects on shields were based on the ratio of the damage to the shield's total XP, not a set number.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I don't know. and that's just it no one seems to know for sure lol. I've searched the web for hours and there doesn't seem to be any information on it. But that's the first time I've heard that theory... interesting. If you find something let me know in a reply w/ a link to the info, or if you've tested this for yourself and are sure of it. Thanks for your response.

Reaction score
    Lol, you seem to be missing the point entirely. I never said that schema should be obligated to do what we say, I'm talking about leveraging play testers the way that an actual company would. This game is Alpha, and we are his play testers. No, we are not on payroll, but that is the whole point of having an open alpha game.
    Ah. That's not what you said in your former post, sorry if I missunderstood where you are coming from. Nice that you now narrowed it down, I can agree that a small group of unrealesed-dev-builds testers could be usefull for Schema.

We allready have Lancake for the stats setup but some additional selected people for giving feedback to Lancake about stats configs could be interesting. Even though it's hard to find some good playtesters in the current Starmade situation - they can't test the game themself with the current playercount. After the weapons update this should be very possible though.

Whereas a selected small group of future game mechanics / development direction feedback giving group allready was dismissed by Schine. So something like the council is not happening again.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I don't know. and that's just it no one seems to know for sure lol. I've searched the web for hours and there doesn't seem to be any information on it. But that's the first time I've heard that theory... interesting. If you find something let me know in a reply w/ a link to the info, or if you've tested this for yourself and are sure of it. Thanks for your response.
    Yeah, I realized as I responded that I wasn't really sure where my assumption on that is coking from. I will definitely respond with links or test data if I lock it down. And enter in in the wiki.

Reaction score
    This is true. I think it would be a good idea to run systems by the playtesters before implementing.

The problem with relying on the playtesters for design input seems to be that because they are generally players and not designers, they often can't see past their own personal playstyles and preferences to the bigger picture. Take combat for example. Most of the PvP vets seem to be so completely locked into the idea of combat as it is on a given day, that they reject anything that might change that even if it could be an overall improvement. Many seem to believe that 1v1 combat, to the death, match by match is the definitive measure of the functionality of the combat system, but between features like fleets and the actual written roadmap (which paints empire-building - not piloting a ship - as the convergence point of all the career paths) it's clear that Schine is driving much more in the direction of mass-combat over a strategic length of time. Balancing combat to make 1v1 pvp 'bouts' run well is not necessarily what will make fleet combat and war on an imperial scale work out well.

PvP players are here for the fight, and so far 1v1 has been most of that because it's been the only thing viable (actually, not really, but group battles are rarely referenced here in discussion of the applied viability of combat balance). If Schine relied entirely on their feedback and never just blew it off, the end result would be an RTS with combat mechanics balanced for dueling. Maybe that could rurn out great, but I am dubious.

Some of the PvPers are more open-minded and flexible about what combat "should be," but many of the most vocal have a track record of trashing anything that doesn't relate to today's fights on server in a way that makes sense to them and the style of play they are used to.
    Not really. Experienced PvPers have plenty of experience with all of these play styles. To put what that means in perspective, I've fought in well over a dozen many-vs-many battles and a similar number of 1-v-1 battles. As for AI fleets, I've killed thousands of player made and NPC drones, countless pirate bases, and a few massive battle stations. In total, I've personally destroyed over 10 million mass in enemy assets and lost about nearly 2 million mass of my own... and my amount of combat experience still is nothing compared to what some guys had.

The "Vets" actually have much more experience with AI fleets and many-vs-many and other special tactics than you think, because we were playing in times and places where those were actually happening. We saw first hand what did and did not work.

You are also too fixed on this idea of Empire building as being 100% AI driven or maybe you think that this game will never have a proper player base again. This game used to have plenty of 10-30 man factions. There were player driven empires, and if you fully automate the game, then you A: lose that piloting aspect of it which makes half the features of the game a total waste of system resources, B: promote shit like the battle of Vou where 10+ players coming to fight in the same place is guaranteed to break the server when they each bring in their drones resulting in over 7000 entities on a single battlefield, C: destroy over-aching politics that come out of players relying on one-another.

Don't get me wrong, AI does have a place in the game, but if you remove the human element all together, you kill all of the other Objectives that Schine posted (piloting, mining, exploration, etc ) just to see this game turn into a generic RTS.

Ah. That's not what you said in your former post, sorry if I missunderstood where you are coming from. Nice that you now narrowed it down, I can agree that a small group of unrealesed-dev-builds testers could be usefull for Schema.

We allready have Lancake for the stats setup but some additional selected people for giving feedback to Lancake about stats configs could be interesting. Even though it's hard to find some good playtesters in the current Starmade situation - they can't test the game themself with the current playercount. After the weapons update this should be very possible though.

Whereas a selected small group of future game mechanics / development direction feedback giving group allready was dismissed by Schine. So something like the council is not happening again.
    In psychology, there is a phenomenon known as professional intuition. It is were people who do something a lot get VERY good at drawing conclusions about related things without having any specific experience in the area. It's why experienced cops just know when someone is doing something shady, even when it looks innocent to other people. It is why experienced programmers can infer why something isn't working without seeing the source code. It is why service professionals can often predict people's needs, even outside of their work environment.

Within 1 week of the first weapons dev build, guys like me, Napthir, Nastral, and Comr4de were already finding tons of exploits because we intuitively knew what things to check for; so, why waste time on ideas when you have players that can exploit them with the very first thing they try? It's simple, if Schine was like, "I think X mechanic should do Y", then I could say "If you do Y, make sure I can't do Z or X can just be circumvented." That would be a litteral 5 minute conversation that could save 10-100 hours of development time.

I'm not talking about a situation where people tell Schine not to have certain functionality, I am talking about a forum where experienced exploiters can help guide how to get there without breaking the game.

As for Lancake, he tests bugs that people report, but has not played in actual server environments for years; so, his perspective sometimes gets skewed because what is true of a small scale test is often different than a real battle involving server lag, meta builds, and other extraneous "real world" factors. I don't say that to be disrespectful, it's just to say that his own professional intuition is going to be based off of an approach to the game that most ppl dont take.