1:1 Scale D'deridex class Romulan starship.

Would anyone care to have this ship?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    OK.. so.. I created my 1:1 scale YT 1300 Millennium Falcon and decided I have neglected my fellow Trekies, so I chose a new project, the D'deridex class.. let me just say.. oh my freaking God! What an incredibly massive choice.. No wonder I could not find any.

I have always loved next generation. The two class ships I loved the most were the federation Galaxy, and the Romulan D'deridex.

I love a good challenge.

Normally, I would never consider the task of building a sector wide ship.. but.. I want one of these.. well.. it's not exactly sector wide.. I can still see all of it's initial layout blocks.

Man the level of detail I could do with this thing.

Since Schema has upgraded the build tools, things are much easier now. Thank you Schema.

My ultimate goal, besides enjoying the hell out of Starmade, is to build awesome ships.. I want my art to be recognized just like we all do.. so.. fellow trekkies.. prepare for lag.. I have a Warbird to build.
    Romulan_warbird_Wallpaper_xr09.jpg

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Firstly I would suggest making a thread in the Shipyards section of the forums, otherwise good luck on your build!

Reactions: Cerebralhemirage

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The only problem with this is the big hollow space.
    It will hit 10 hull blocks per vital very fast - even without RP stuff build in.

Are you sure you wanna build a 300m long ship (I guess that's about the average size in StarTrek)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The only problem with this is the big hollow space.
    It will hit 10 hull blocks per vital very fast - even without RP stuff build in.

Are you sure you wanna build a 300m long ship (I guess that's about the average size in StarTrek)
    The D'deridex is a fair bit bigger than 300m ;)

Good luck to you :)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The massive dimension vs. vital block ratio will ensure that this cannot possibly have enough turning capability. (It would get a LOT better if mass-based turning ratios are implemented!)

It makes me wonder if it might be better as a non-mobile space station. Every single vital block is going to count, so cutting out ship core and thrusters might make it "work" better.

Does anyone know if there a green vital block that doesn't glow and also has a wedge shape?

I'm looking forward to seeing the massive results. Keep us posted!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Who cares about the stats??? It's going to look epic, that's the only thing that matters :P

therimmer96

Reaction score
    All star trek ships suffer with the low mass compared to huge dimensions. do we care? no!

We look cool while unleashing a well designed torrent of weapons fire on each other! :P

Reaction score
    Thanks for all the responses. I could scale down the ship.. but.. it would be a new class then.

The fact that it would be a lumbering snail would not bother me if large turreted weapons did not look so non canon for Star Trek vessels.

I think I have a mock up drawing of a ship I designed years ago that would fit the bill nicely.

So.. what do you all think?

Canon? Or creatively new?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The D'deridex is a fair bit bigger than 300m ;)

Good luck to you :)
    ...Yeah, then scale it down; nobody will actually use a D'Deridex that size :p

However, the idea of using a new Romulan class inspired by the D'D but smaller is a good one. I vote for that option.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I say you just go for the full scale ship. I think with some creative engineering, you can make it practical. I remember on the old site, someone had a D'deridex shell made from binvox/smedit. I always lamented that it didn't actually have any systems. A ship that big and that cool would be great to have around even if it isn't useful for engagement.

TNA

Reaction score
    When i want to build a big nice ship, i also think of a smaller more usable version of it. I totally want both versions of the D'Deridex :). But you want to build it, so do what you see fit. Cloaking this huge thing would be awesome :D, but i think the starmade cloaking system would use to much energy, but as Spock once said "Invisibility is theoretically possible, Captain, with selective bending of light. But the power cost is enormous. They may have solved that problem." :D

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    When i want to build a big nice ship, i also think of a smaller more usable version of it. I totally want both versions of the D'Deridex :). But you want to build it, so do what you see fit. Cloaking this huge thing would be awesome :D, but i think the starmade cloaking system would use to much energy, but as Spock once said "Invisibility is theoretically possible, Captain, with selective bending of light. But the power cost is enormous. They may have solved that problem." :D
    ...Yes, except in Starmade there's a finite (and small!) limit to how much power a given mass and area can be used to generate. In the ST universe, power generation potential per square foot seems to be directly proportional to a species's assigned technology level. Sorry to burst your bubble, but no, there's no cloaking a D'Deridex, or even a T'liss/T'varo, in this game without a modified server configuration. Even something as small as the Romulan Kestrel Shuttle would probably have to sacrifice all useful systems to be able to cloak at all.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Can you make a detailed interior to go along with it? Make it cloak?

TNA

Reaction score
    Yes Ithirahad, in normal Starmade this will not work, i was just joking. I thought this quote would fit good. Anyway i would love to see the D'Deridex in starmade.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Why would it not work? granted it wouldn't be the most efficient for its dimensions, but it would function nonetheless

Reaction score
    I say you just go for the full scale ship. I think with some creative engineering, you can make it practical. I remember on the old site, someone had a D'deridex shell made from binvox/smedit. I always lamented that it didn't actually have any systems. A ship that big and that cool would be great to have around even if it isn't useful for engagement.
    1K+, in SMedit?:eek: My toaster might collapse thinking about doing that.

As for cloaking, is it possible for power-drain/supply generators(do any of those still work?) to bypass the size limitations, or is it too inefficient? I assume it is. It would be scary to see one of those uncloak...
    For a few seconds as the turrets activate and turn. The respawn screen isn't that scary. :D