0.152 Many shields lagg still not fixed

Reaction score
    While I was waiting for the new version, and it finally came, I though I'd test my old database with the newest version as of now (0.152), but the many shields-lagg has yet not been improved since.

I am reffering to the following thread: http://starmadedock.net/threads/how-do-some-players-use-reallyyyy-manyyyyy-shields.431/#post-3452

I redownloaded the database, updated it (clicked OK twice when running in new version). All settings on lowest, drivers updated, windows updated, even installed 16GB brand new ram which is 2000 mhz speed.

Still laggy (2 fps) after I enter the ship and movem y camera where the shields are located.

anyone who can reproduce it or is it only me?

OT: Maybe instead of spamming shields, someone could make SuperShields? (one SuperShield block == equivalent of 1,000 normal shields? and MegaShield block equals 1,000,000 normal shields?)

Reaction score
    "Mega Shields" isn't gonna fix a thing, people will eventually build just as many of them.

The issue is inefficient programming, which is something that should really have been considered when building up the framework for a block based game.

Reaction score
    Can you upload a current version of the database? I will give it a try than. Crafting shields together might be a solution, because handling a LOT of blocks will always cause lag if not especially optimized for those situations (Simply because of the animated textures and RAM usage).

The issue is inefficient programming, which is something that should really have been considered when building up the framework for a block based game.
    The engine is not designed for ships of this size. Therefore nobody is testing it with them. This is not an issue of inefficient programming but of missing optimisation algorithms and I can't blame developers not for implementing them, since they are time consuming and will affect only a minority of players.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    http://www.solidfiles.com/d/7809436f74/server-database.zip my server_database folder

"Mega Shields" isn't gonna fix a thing, people will eventually build just as many of them.

But how come I can build any-size ship and this specifically happens with power tanks/shield blocks? with normal blocks I can build any size I like, lagless. but then my ship has almost no power or shield..

I should note that many basic blocks (any amount I like) do not cause lagg, yet when I keep inserting power tanks or shield blocks the server CPU usage goes to 100%, not less. I have had shields, imported, which are around 1 mil and some even 10 mil blocks.. no laggs.. add many shields or power tanks. BAM, 100%CPU usage 100% of the time.

use the nickname "Gamer_Z" to spawn at ship core.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Because there is more data attached to these active blocks. And they are animated as well. I will give it a try later on and report back here.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The lag comes from editing the array size. The larger the arrays are, the longer it takes to re-calculate them. Because of this, shields (one of the most widely used block that has this effect) and power tanks (theyre even more intensive as they have to also calculate adjacent blocks for every single block) tend to generate a lot of lag as the calculations are taking place. 10x10x10 build blocking them down means that every click incurs 1,000 re-calculations of the shields, a huge strain on any system.

Reaction score
    IS there some hack or something I can hex edit to SKIP these calculations? I just want to build my ship. I hope this is not too much asked.... this should be a basic option :'(

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    thank you for your help :D I hope he accepts the suggestion :) Then I will be soooooooooooooooooooooo happy to build massive ships :) Then I can make my own fleet :D "Creative mode"ftw.