0.0887 Strange ship delocation

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This issue happened twice to me on the same server.
    1. Ive parked my ship next to an asteroid and logged out
    2. On login my ship was deplaced maybe 200m away from the asteroid.
    3. When I got closer to my ship I got serious client stutters and got reset a part of the way multiple times.
    4. When i finally could enter my ship it was suddenly at the position where Ive parked it initially.

As I said- 2 times the same issue. Ping to the server was ok. But that wouldnt explain the strange delocation of my ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Tried to experience a 3rd time on scotts server, but after the restart it didnt happen again. Probably part of the server instability.

Reaction score
    happens on pyroxfires server as well and any server i go on really... so yea i would assume its an instability issue

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hmm I have an idea. Maybe one of my security mechanisms places objects farther apart when their bounding boxes overlap, and it wasn't annouced properly.

EDIT: I found and solved the bug.
    Objects have an "initial transformation" which is set on loading (when a sector and all its objects get active). This initial transform is then used to spawn the physics object and is also sent to the client when he requests the object to spawn the physics object on his side.
    When a client now moves the ship and leaves a server and joins it again (without the server shutting down in the meantime), the server would still have of course the right position for the object, but was sending the original "initial transform" to the client, causing it to spawn the object at the place, the object was originally loaded on the server.
    Once the player enteres the "ghost" ship, the nt correction would start and instantly move the client object to the position on the server causing a jump. Further stuttering could have been caused by clients moving through ships they see at another position (but were still there on the server), causing the server physics to warp back the player that on his side collided with a solid obejct...