Zero mass, cosmetic hull

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Hull cladding and aesthetics are actively discouraged by the mechanics of the game, at least as regards to small ships. There are serious mass penalties in the mechanics, most especially if you want to use cloaking. The end result is that there is a strong encouragement to use little to no such cladding, to not add 'useless' mass to a ship solely to make it look good or make it more "RP".

Personally I would like to make my ships look pretty and to add the roleplaying nicities, but not if it is going to seriously detract from my ability to survive pirates with my small ship. I would like to suggest that a new category of hull be added, that of 'cosmetic' hull. It would have only a single hit point but add zero mass. Ideally it would be configured to have zero hit points and therefore not stop damage from passing through. Most other cosmetic blocks that have no function other than to beautify a ship, should also have zero mass.

Reactions: Thalanor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hull cladding and aesthetics are actively discouraged by the mechanics of the game, at least as regards to small ships. There are serious mass penalties in the mechanics, most especially if you want to use cloaking. The end result is that there is a strong encouragement to use little to no such cladding, to not add 'useless' mass to a ship solely to make it look good or make it more "RP".

Personally I would like to make my ships look pretty and to add the roleplaying nicities, but not if it is going to seriously detract from my ability to survive pirates with my small ship. I would like to suggest that a new category of hull be added, that of 'cosmetic' hull. It would have only a single hit point but add zero mass. Ideally it would be configured to have zero hit points and therefore not stop damage from passing through. Most other cosmetic blocks that have no function other than to beautify a ship, should also have zero mass.
    The only systems affected by mass are cloaking and radarjamming. Cloaking is like this to balance out ships so you don't end up having a huge fleet of cloaked/jammed untraceable titans destroying everything.

I do agree though that wee need some type of hull that does not count against cloaking, because honestly, everyone wants to have good-looking RP cloakers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Technically eagle turning is also partially mass based, although it is also based on the ships dimensions.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    basic hull should fill that role. There is no need for a 50hp armor, everyone who wants armor at least uses standard. Basic hull is usually to have cost-efficient plating for decoration and interior purposes and would ideally be zero mass, zero resistance.

Reaction score
    I think that block mass should be controllable in the block config file. That way, normal hull can have a mass of 0.1, standard can have a mass of 1.0, and advanced can have a mass of 10 (but make it server-configurable)

Reactions: CaptainTaz