(Yet another?) weapon spreadsheet

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    Yesterday SchnellBier wanted a spreadsheet for weapon design, so I quickly made this:
    Freely modifiable version (please keep it clean, your modifications impact other users)​
    Free_StarmadeWeaponSpreadsheet

Read only version for you to copy:​
    StarmadeWeaponSpreadsheet

The nice thing about this one is it's able to compute precisely the number of blocks destroyed by a cannon round (taking into account rounding errors and damage loss on a "block overkill").
    I still need to add support for the piercing offensive effect, compute the armor hp damage and add support for ion/punch-through defensive, but it should be usable as it is.

Alternatively, here's a dropbox link for an open office version: Dropbox - StarmadeWeaponSpreadsheet.ods

Again I made this quickly, so if you find any error please feel free to report it here

Edit:
    - offensive piercing effect's armor efficiency modifier is now taken into account
    - overdrive's energy consumption modifier now correctly modifies the energy consumption
    - fixed some small rounding errors
    - beam damage is now truncated correctly against armored blocks (note, because of ⚓ T1024 Damage Beam applies damage inconsistently to armored blocks the ingame results may differ)
    - changed the way cumulative damage is displayed
    - changed the way block numbers are displayed
    - on OpenOffice, some unused/unusable cells are now crossed (for instance the Tertiary effect dropdown list if you choose salvage beam), doesn't work with the google spreadsheet
    - some other minor fixes
    - added armor hp support (along with Punch-through defensive support)
    - added ion defensive support
    - corrected a rounding error affecting the penetration depth of cannon rounds
    - corrected radius contribution of partial tertiary effects
    - some other minor fixes
    - added consumption per burst (ie per shot)
    - corrected beam/pulse hitrate and burst time
    - added support for multi-groups weapon energy consumption (be aware that the various damage computations will still assume all the blocks are in a single groups, in some cases the difference matter)
    - added an "Energy" page to compute the number of needed capacitors and/or reactors from capacity and energy generation requirements (and vice-versa)
    - added a freely modifiable online version for you to toy with without copying, please keep it clean
    - corrected offensive piercing effect (the debuff to armor efficiency wasn't applied correctly)
    - added support for explosive effect splash damage
    - simplified the block damage display
    - added a few target blocks
    - fixed the freely modifiable spreadsheet (someone broke it, it seems?)
    - changed the armour values of ship cores to 35% and advanced armour to 90%
    - changed the block hp values of ship cores to 100hp, advanced armour to 100hp and faction modules to 100hp
    - fixed offensive piercing effect (starmade bugfix + erroneous formula which caused more visible errors now we have 90% armour for adv. armour blocks)

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Never enough comunity informational projects, awesome dude!

I will check it out in a moment to make sure you have things like tetiaties and secondaries adding the same damage and energy increase as addind primary blocks.
    And then do some in starmade testing to double check everything

Last edited:

Olxinos

Reaction score
    I added a freely modifiable online version, hopefully there won't be any problems. If there's any I'll remove it.
    (this post is also a small bump excuse :p)

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Another update:
    - corrected offensive piercing effect (the debuff to armor efficiency wasn't applied correctly)
    - added support for explosive effect splash damage
    - simplified the block damage display
    - added a few target blocks

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I have been using this, very easy to use, but what does the energy tab mean?
    Energy requirements and Required blocks seems right, but what does the other 2 tabs on the right tell me?

Thanks again for making this very helpful resource that sometimes I wish I didn't need to tab out of the game to use.

EDIT: Oh they are inputs. I thought they fed off of the information provided in the first page.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have been using this, very easy to use, but what does the energy tab mean?
    Energy requirements and Required blocks seems right, but what does the other 2 tabs on the right tell me?

Thanks again for making this very helpful resource that sometimes I wish I didn't need to tab out of the game to use.

EDIT: Oh they are inputs. I thought they fed off of the information provided in the first page.
    I feel like this is a bit of a necro...

That being said, have they changed the damage balance in the last 2 or 3 months? I took a break from the game for a while, and all of my ships seem underpowered from what they were before.

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I feel like this is a bit of a necro...

That being said, have they changed the damage balance in the last 2 or 3 months? I took a break from the game for a while, and all of my ships seem underpowered from what they were before.
    Nah it´s not really necro. The spreadsheet works well and should be up to date. I´m using it all the time to design weapons. I would even sticky this. :schema:

As far as I know nothing major happened to the balance in the last few months.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nah it´s not really necro. The spreadsheet works well and should be up to date. I´m using it all the time to design weapons. I would even sticky this. :schema:

As far as I know nothing major happened to the balance in the last few months.
    Haha ok.

And alright, it's me then, thanks!

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Why didn't I get any notification? Do I need to watch my own threads now? :(

Master_Artificer On the left, you provide stats and you get the number of blocks; on the right, you provide the number of blocks, and you get the stats.
    The energy and weapons sheets are completely independant, but I've sometimes thought it would be interesting to have a button to automatically fill in "Energy generation" with the average energy consumption per second of the weapon tab and "Capacity" with the required power per shot. It would people save a few seconds sometimes :p

SchnellBier Drumboy168
    Yup, it should be up to date. If you spot any inconsistencies, please tell me.
    However, there are a couple bugs in the game that you should know about when using this:
    - beams are derpy against armored blocks and deal less damage than what they should do (oddly enough it seems to also depend on whether the target has AHP left or not c.f. ⚓ T1024 Damage Beam applies damage inconsistently to armored blocks ), my spreadsheet tries to take that into account but is slightly pessimistic
    - piercing on cannons or beams is broken (the debuff to armor's damage absorption was recently disabled because it was applied incorrectly, I've just modified the spreadsheet to reflect that)
    - if you activate a beam through logic, it's likely to miss ticks ( c.f. ⚓ T774 Power transfer beam logic activation missing 1 out of 5 ticks ), this is important for shield injectors and power injectors (if you also use a clock to fire the weapon, you should also factor in the small delays induced by how the game handles logic and weapon activation which may make them fire slightly slower)

There might also be rounding errors here and there (I'm not perfect), and the armor hp damage might be a bit off sometimes (I didn't tested it much, but it was accurate in my tests at least).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why didn't I get any notification? Do I need to watch my own threads now? :(

Master_Artificer On the left, you provide stats and you get the number of blocks; on the right, you provide the number of blocks, and you get the stats.
    The energy and weapons sheets are completely independant, but I've sometimes thought it would be interesting to have a button to automatically fill in "Energy generation" with the average energy consumption per second of the weapon tab and "Capacity" with the required power per shot. It would people save a few seconds sometimes :p

SchnellBier Drumboy168
    Yup, it should be up to date. If you spot any inconsistencies, please tell me.
    However, there are a couple bugs in the game that you should know about when using this:
    - beams are derpy against armored blocks and deal less damage than what they should do (oddly enough it seems to also depend on whether the target has AHP left or not c.f. ⚓ T1024 Damage Beam applies damage inconsistently to armored blocks ), my spreadsheet tries to take that into account but is slightly pessimistic
    - piercing on cannons or beams is broken (the debuff to armor's damage absorption was recently disabled because it was applied incorrectly, I've just modified the spreadsheet to reflect that)
    - if you activate a beam through logic, it's likely to miss ticks ( c.f. ⚓ T774 Power transfer beam logic activation missing 1 out of 5 ticks ), this is important for shield injectors and power injectors (if you also use a clock to fire the weapon, you should also factor in the small delays induced by how the game handles logic and weapon activation which may make them fire slightly slower)

There might also be rounding errors here and there (I'm not perfect), and the armor hp damage might be a bit off sometimes (I didn't tested it much, but it was accurate in my tests at least).
    Pierce on cannons doesn't work?

Well, time to refit my fighters, then.

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Pierce on cannons doesn't work?

Well, time to refit my fighters, then.
    Well, 100% pierce (on cannons) will now:
    - increase block damage by 25%
    - increase AHP damage by 50% (i.e. by 87.5% since it's also based on block damage)
    - decrease shield damage by 100% (i.e. no shield damage anymore)

while 100% punch-through:
    - increases block damage by 50%
    - increases AHP damage by 25% (i.e. by 87.5% for the same reason as before)

so piercing isn't actually completely broken, but it's certainly really bad.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, 100% pierce (on cannons) will now:
    - increase block damage by 25%
    - increase AHP damage by 50% (i.e. by 87.5% since it's also based on block damage)
    - decrease shield damage by 100% (i.e. no shield damage anymore)

while 100% punch-through:
    - increases block damage by 50%
    - increases AHP damage by 25% (i.e. by 87.5% for the same reason as before)

so piercing isn't actually completely broken, but it's certainly really bad.
    So, what you're saying is "replace Pierce effect with Punch Through?"

Olxinos

Reaction score
    Drumboy168 what I'm saying is that piercing got nerfed because one of its effect was disabled, and now, it's strictly worse than punch-through so you might as well use it instead (it used to deal slightly more than twice as much damage against armored blocks than punch-through, but not anymore)