Ye Olde Planet Thread

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Then why don't you just ignore us and let us create "poorly botched explanations" if we want to? Why does it pain you so much to let us have a discussion. You have made your point repeatedly to the point of being pointless and spammy. Please stop.
    If you're not willing to acknowledge what's actually do-able, then what is there left to discuss? I'm not spamming and I'm not making pointless posts. If you want to ignore what I have to say then that's fine. I just want any other people reading this thread now and in the future to know Schema's stance on this, and why it does not work in the game. If you wish to pervade false hopes or false facts on this subject then I will do everything in my respectable boundaries to make sure people know the truth.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It's a good solution. There are a lot of ways to fix planets, this is just another way to do it. +1

If you're not willing to acknowledge what's actually do-able, then what is there left to discuss?
    Yeah your argument has been crushed.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you're not willing to acknowledge what's actually do-able, then what is there left to discuss?
    We won't acknowledge YOUR OPINION about what is doable so you won't stop repeating it. It's getting old and obstructing other opinions from being discussed so I have politely asked you to stop repeating your opinion.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't know how technology works, I am not a smart person. I will just nod my head and agree because I like the idea of bigger planets and less lag.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    We won't acknowledge YOUR OPINION about what is doable so you won't stop repeating it. It's getting old and obstructing other opinions from being discussed so I have politely asked you to stop repeating your opinion.
    I have given few, if any, opinons in this thread. What i've done is shown you what Schema's had to say about this, and explain why this does not work on the game engine.

When I first posted about why this doesn't work, you falsely accused me of trolling. Now you're falsely accusing me of spamming, when in reality all I have done are given reasons and explanations in a respectable manner on this issue. I have not barred anyone from sharing what they have to say about this. If you're trying to silence opposition just because you don't like it, then i'm sorry, but that's not how a forum works. Let's try to have a respectable thread here, dude. Let everyone have their voice.

All i've heard so far from your side in this thread is "I want this! Please!" with no reasonable explanation of how it could work. If you have something factual to back up your arguments then I would like to see it.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have given few, if any, opinons in this thread. What i've done is shown you what Schema's had to say about this, and explain why this does not work on the game engine. If you're trying to silence opposition just because you don't like it, then i'm sorry, but that's not how a forum works. Let's try to have a respectable thread here, dude.
    You're beating a dead horse and I've asked you nicely to stop. I'm not trying to have your posts that contain your opinion and arguments removed. I am not trying to censor you. I have seen your opinion and do not want it repeatedly thrown in my face any more. If you continue I will seek moderation from the staff.

All i've heard so far from your side in this thread is "I want this! Please!" with no reasonable explanation of how it could work. If you have something factual to back up your arguments then I would like to see it.
    Without your distraction I might have come up with something new by now.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have given few, if any, opinons in this thread. What i've done is shown you what Schema's had to say about this, and explain why this does not work on the game engine.

When I first posted about why this doesn't work, you accused me of trolling. Now you're accusing me of spamming, when in reality all I have done are given reasons and explanations in a respectable manner on this issue. I have not barred anyone from sharing what they have to say about this. If you're trying to silence opposition just because you don't like it, then i'm sorry, but that's not how a forum works. Let's try to have a respectable thread here, dude. Let everyone have their voice.

The way I see it, Schema wrote that thing a really long time ago. I am not claiming this is possible, I am not educated enough on the subject to make a call either way. However I see literally no harm in proposing it, to see if the devs feel that it is possible. I am going to be honest Planr, it is not your place either to decide what the devs are capable of doing.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Here's an idea to get weapon impacts to work. If a person is close enough to that part of the surface to load it, no problem. Weapon hits, stuff blows up. However, if no one can see the surface, weapon impacts don't HAVE to be processed instantly. Weapons entering the atmosphere can be saved for a few seconds and if a significant percentage of incoming attacks are in one area, that part loads and processes impacts. Between entering the atmosphere and hitting, the shots would be saved more or less "in limbo" and released when the chunks in the area load. This will cut down on excessive loading/unloading during an orbital bombardment.

Reactions: ne3zy
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    (Ok so, there was about 20,000 posts that were posted between the time when I began writing this and now. And if I keep trying to keep up, I'll never post this.. So, don't be surprised if a few posts aren't mentioned in there!)

@OP:
    Yes, I also think the planets are somewhat disappointing. But mainly because of the plate edges.. I keep falling in-between them, and they prohibit building relatively large underground structures. Not to mention when you're building planetbound "hovercrafts", crossing the plate to plate boundary is a nightmare XD

But about your suggestion, there is the issue with planets with little to no atmosphere, like moons, which were confirmed a while ago. And, isolating planets partially might be a solution, but it would disrupt the flow of the game significantly, and pose issues for people wanting to bombard bases from orbit, and etc.. So I don't think isolating planets like that would be such a good idea..

Probably that a good chunk of planet issues could be mitigated by making them bigger though. But that worsen some existing problems and bring others.
    Large planets orbits (300+) overlaps into nearby systems because systems are too small. And of course the performance issues. Having fewer systems in the universe in exchange for larger systems would be a sensible tradeoff for the first issue IMO. Nobody is going to live long enough to explore all those stars anyways..

Figuring out the cause of the immense performance drop linked to planets would be a must though. Its apparently the CPU being the bottleneck, and on client side mainly. I setup a server on another computer, and looked at CPU load on both computers when coming close to and generating planets for the first time. The result was that the server had a mild CPU hit for a couple of seconds ( Phenom 955 X4 + 4GB DDR2), while the client ( FX-8320 3.5ghz + 16GB DDR3 + GeForce GTX 550Ti ) had a constant CPU hit whenever it got within a certain distance of the planet

Perhaps you're newer than my better judgement tells me you are, but I would recommend you first read this very old thread by Schema himself on why planets are the way they are (FYI that thread is older than the implementation of dodecahedron planets, which is why it does not mention them)

There is no feasible way to make planets seamless. Check the link I provided at the beginning of this post and you will see why.
    That's a neat link !
    And that idea he used to turn the planar planets into a sphere looks like its pure genius ! I'm curious about what he was having so much issues with. He didn't give any real specifics sadly..

I wonder what trick he used too? It can't be a simple render target onto a sphere, since we can see things from the side against the starry backdrop at the top of the planet..

And I beg to differ, there are ways to pull off something like that.
    I've seen a lot of crazy things being implemented in the face of engine restrictions. For one, the way the Source engine mod Eternal Silence does to have both space battles in a big environment, and FPS segments aboard ships and stations, bypassing the small map size limit of the engine. They literally shrunk the player and his ship once he'd get out of a ship hangar! And the opposite when he'd get back in. And the transition was seamless really, no way to tell you were being teleported from one box to the other, and that your ship model changed!

But I digress.
    Back to the spherical planets. Texture mapping, something that has existed for decades now in most 3D game engines and 3D software, does the very same thing that would be needed to make a planet like this. Its quite possible Schema just dismissed the approach at the time, because it seemed too complicated for nothing when there were other quicker alternatives probably.

For instance, if you take a sphere in a 3D environment and apply a texture to it, its exactly that. The texture is a plane(the actual planet), the object is a sphere(the "faked" planet).
    There's a lot more that can be done with this. For example, its possible to map relief to a specific point on a sphere, by using bump/height maps, normal maps, etc..
    The math behind this is pretty "simple", and very commonly used. The map is in a specific 3d coordinate system u/v/w, the sphere in another x/y/z. So you just use a matrix to convert from one system to the other the corresponding vertices from the u/v/w system to vertices in the x/y/z system. And there you are.

You'd probably want an interface for tracing rays and hulls down to the planet's surface. Coordinates of the ray's impact point would get translated to the plane's coordinates, for things like weapon shots and etc.. This could also be used to determine what chunks and blocks are visible.
    As for the magnifying artifacts, submitting anything getting within range of the planet to a similar effect, would suffice. It would require some thinking depending on how LWJGL handles that. I'd assume the code for anchoring objects getting near a planet to the planet's local gravity could also be used as a vector to handle this effect, and the transition in-between.

Or, isolating the planet inside a box with render targets on each inside faces would allow to conserve more control on coherence with the surroundings of the planet. Handling occlusion culling on the seams when digging might be a bit tricky though, but nothing obviously infinitely complicated AFAIK. Might require some hacks..

You probably should also watch this video from SIGGRAPH 2007 : Its a demo of the tech behind the planet engine of the game Spore. Basically, its a plane mapped to a sphere.

Loading planets is not that difficult a thing to do. I get perhaps you might be stuck with a toaster computer (I presume that's what motivated you to make this thread) but that doesn't mean everyone else should be forced to play the game to the same performance expectations as what you're wanting here. Lower your raylightcalc values and segment rendering numbers and you will be just fine with planets. If it's still too laggy you just need to get a better computer, and stop playing on servers with such large planets.
    The thing is, you can turn down your graphics settings to the minimum, and your game will still choke. Especially with ice planets. Its because its not a graphics issues in itself. The CPU appears to be the bottleneck everytimes.

In comparison, I got a 8 core AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz with 16 GB of ram DDR3 and a GeForce GTX 550 Ti. The CPU stays at 75% load, and the chunks load and unload like crazy. I got everything set to the minimum, no shadows, fast dynamic lighting enabled, atmosphere shader disabled, vierw distance 1500 (default), and even system rotation disabled (planets don't rotate).

As a result, I go near a red planet, and I got 128 FPS, instead of the 240 I get everywhere else (I locked framerate at 240), but the game still chokes. The chunks keep loading and unloading like crazy. Its not an isolated incident either. Performance issues are mentioned everywhere, especially in steam reviews from random people.
    It tends to get better after spending a while on the planet, but it can come back, when going back to space. It tends to affect only planets past a certain size too. The tiniest ones don't seem to cause issues on my end.
    Besides that, I'm still not sure what triggers all this..

There is no solution. That's what I'm trying to tell you.
    I wouldn't say that.. Personal incredulity does not constitute a fact. You should nuance that, because it sounds awfully like a fallacy.

You know, StarMade is actually impossible. A voxel based game of that scale ? Unthinkably inefficient!
    Coded in Java at that! True lunacy !

That's pretty much what you'd have heard a few years ago...
    Its like people that thought we'd never get to space.. And to say some still think we never did..

If planets that large were able to work just fine, i'd be all for it. But they don't. So i'm against implementing them.

We'll just have to see what the devs do. If they find some sort of soplution that allows StarMade to do this easily, then I would definitely support pursuing this.
    Doesn't implementing larger planets require that the devs make them work ?
    Thus... you're.. really ok with it ? :confused:

You want what is not feasibly possible. But I do admit that if it WAS possible, it would be interesting. But the data and processing limitations on our modern-day computers and the nature of what you're asking for is something too stressful for the game to bear.
    [...]
    I don't, and here's why. It's because I've learned to be fairly content with how StarMade planets are. They're large enough as they are. You can say you want to see 5-kilometer-wide planets, but that's purely based on your own personal desire, and your mere desire is not a good enough reason for implementing such such a performance-costly mechanic. The drawbacks vastly outweigh the benefits on this.
    Pardon the assumption, is it possible you'd like to have some of those things in the game, but since you're more or less "white knighting" the devs, you won't allow yourself to ? :/ (It seems like a pretty common thing going on around here though.. Especially in the suggestion sub-forums..)

Because, I doubt the devs really care if people makes suggestions that are completely out of the realm of possibility. They probably welcome it if anything. They didn't even put any measures to disallow that.
    From my own experience, suggestions are used more as a grabbag or somewhat like a brainstorm. Not to mention, they're not obligated to implement anyone's idea as-is.
    So, really, nobody should be afraid of restraining themselves on that topic really.

Now, while I do not agree with several things Valiant said, and while you brought some good points, you're extrapolating a lot on your end, making claims about the game's capacity to be optimized that you have no ways of truly backing up.

For example:
    [...]Because I can tell you right now that no amount of optimizations could ever make something like a sector-sized planet function comfortably and efficiently on StarMade.
    First, that could be potentially easier to handle, because less of the planet would be drawn at any time, and less of the planet would fit in the screen, thus you're not dealing with things almost on the other side of the planet that are barely visible. Then, more classical approaches for managing, and smoothing out view distances become viable, because the planet has a more considerable size.
    Besides, if that doesn't work, a sector with a single huge planet could be optimized to lend itself better for this. Optimization can be pushed a lot more on very specific cases with little variations.

Secondly, nobody can truly guess how much optimization can be done (other than the very obvious), without access to the source code directly and giving it a try. Even what the devs say is not necessarily accurate. Because, its quite possible the devs have better things to do than optimization right now, or perhaps they don't have the know-how to make that call accurately, or maybe the devs just didn't come across the "inspiration" yet.

Optimization is a funny thing. You can push things extremely far if you want, writing straight into actual x86 assembly if needed.
    For example, there's the demoscene which is almost entirely focused on optimizing the crap out of their code and reducing the size of their executable further than anyone would dare consider possible. Having a massive 3D environment run from a 4kb executable is nothing short of black magic !
    And on the CPU side of things, when you write a program, especially in Java, you'll almost always end up with some redundant, or useless processing being done, within a certain measure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Let me make it clear that I am all for large planets if it's comfortably possible.

You're beating a dead horse and I've asked you nicely to stop. I'm not trying to have your posts that contain your opinion and arguments removed. I am not trying to censor you. I have seen your opinion and do not want it repeatedly thrown in my face any more. If you continue I will seek moderation from the staff.

Without your distraction I might have come up with something new by now.
    No one is forcing you to read or respond to my posts. I'm not throwing anything in your face. You say you're not trying to censor me, yet in the same post you tell me to stop posting in this thread, then threaten to report me if I continue to represent my side of the issue. I'll tell you this: you are absolutely free to bring the moderators into this matter if you wish. I've got nothing to hide, and I have done nothing wrong. Report me all you want.

The way I see it, Schema wrote that thing a really long time ago. I am not claiming this is possible, I am not educated enough on the subject to make a call either way. However I see literally no harm in proposing it, to see if the devs feel that it is possible. I am going to be honest Planr, it is not your place either to decide what the devs are capable of doing.
    Indeed, the post is quite old, but the engine is still the same engine. I agree, we should re-propose it to SCHINE. Perhaps there is a new development. I'm not deciding what the devs are capable of doing. I'm simply telling you what the game can and can't do. If you want you can go look up and investigate it for yourself.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Indeed, the post is quite old, but the engine is still the same engine. I agree, we should re-propose it to SCHINE. Perhaps there is a new development. I'm not deciding what the devs are capable of doing. I'm simply telling you what the game can and can't do. If you want you can go look up and investigate it for yourself.
    Might I ask, what makes you qualified to ascertain what the limits of the engine are? I am not accusing you or anything, I am just wondering.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Might I ask, what makes you qualified to ascertain what the limits of the engine are? I am not accusing you or anything, I am just wondering.
    Huge amounts of personal experience of playing this game for over two years, plus being a former tester (I left voluntarily due to IRL issues). I've been playing this game longer than 90% of the people on here at the moment. I don't know numbers, but I know what Schema's said, and I also know what causes lag.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431234491,1431234348][/DOUBLEPOST]Psy, your post looks really good and I want to read it. However it's 1 AM right now so I will check out what you have to say tomorrow. Thanks for weighing in man!

Last edited:

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Huge amounts of personal experience of playing this game for over two years, plus being a former tester. I don't know numbers, but I know what Schema's said, and I also know what causes lag.
    Hm... Bei allem Respekt. That isn't a shining résumé. That makes you basically as qualified as the rest of us to make judgements on the capabilities of the engine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hm... Bei allem Respekt. That isn't a shining résumé. That makes you basically as qualified as the rest of us to make judgements on the capabilities of the engine.
    Let's go check with SCHINE then and see what they have to say. They'd know better than any of us.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You're going to want to read Psy's post. He makes a lot of good points, especially about optimization and observations of the game's current behavior.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Let's go check with SCHINE then and see what they have to say. They'd know better than any of us.
    Indeed they will. Their answer would be the best solution to this argument.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Great idea! Let's make a suggestion thread!
    Lol i see what you did there man. Cause it's like, you said we should make a suggestion thread, and this is a suggestion thread, and it's like- yeahhhhh haha!

Actually uh, you could whistle for them in the OP real quick by adding "@" and their usernames.
    Like this: schema

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Back to the spherical planets. Texture mapping, something that has existed for decades now in most 3D game engines and 3D software, does the very same thing that would be needed to make a planet like this. Its quite possible Schema just dismissed the approach at the time, because it seemed too complicated for nothing when there were other quicker alternatives probably.
    This would be good for rendering from orbit and could be used for that, but this approach falls short when you land on the surface in a voxel game. That part is tricky. I've thought about loading FLAT chunks client side around the player, orienting them using the angle that the player would have if standing on a perfect sphere. That makes things easy, right? Just store the planet as a large, edge-wrapping square and load portions onto parts of the sphere for each client. There would be distortions, but that would be a small price to pay... I thought until I realized at the poles a whole edge of the square would pull down to a single point, making entering the atmosphere wonky even though walking across the surface would feel fine (and honestly would make more sense to navigate than real life earth does).

The thing is, you can turn down your graphics settings to the minimum, and your game will still choke. Especially with ice planets. Its because its not a graphics issues in itself. The CPU appears to be the bottleneck everytimes.

In comparison, I got a 8 core AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz with 16 GB of ram DDR3 and a GeForce GTX 550 Ti. The CPU stays at 75% load, and the chunks load and unload like crazy. I got everything set to the minimum, no shadows, fast dynamic lighting enabled, atmosphere shader disabled, vierw distance 1500 (default), and even system rotation disabled (planets don't rotate).
    Odd. It seemed like my client was fine on lower graphics settings up to the mid-400s radii. How big were the planets you tested this on? Oh, I am using integrated graphics, not a graphics card. I wonder if that has anything to do with this... I'm too sleepy to think though the inner workings of computers. I'll be back tomorrow.