Yay! Angry builders everywhere!

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    No, seriously. People are upset that their overpowered toys are no longer impossible to kill due to gameplay balance.
    I've seen this process happen before, on Planetside 2, when it's discovered that something can be killed faster than it can kill. The entire community goes up in arms.

Why's this happening on a friendly building game anyway?
    Are all the players 14 or something?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I imagine most of the player-base is quite young, yes, but I don\'t believe that\'s the sole reason for the amount of outrage to be found.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    It implies that they haven\'t been around game development cycles before, nor have they experienced changing circumstances.

I\'d say the best real life equivalent to rebalancing a broken gameplay element is the 3rd Grade, where students are sometimes taught cursive handwriting. They bitch and moan about it for months before getting used to and using it exclusively.

I\'m genuinely curious as to why this game specifically is being hit by angry players while Minecraft, as far as I can remember, did not.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    What kind of an insecure mess do you have to be, to post entire threads on forums, insulting everyone. What the hell kind of purpose does this thread serve? Only one who is 14 here is you, and apparently you have to compensate for it. That\'s expectable for your age category, but stop venting it in public. I hope there are some mods around to fix this.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Then we\'d have to both be temp banned. Probably be a good thing, we both need to go outside every now and then.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    An alpha version of a game is going through a slight rebalancing extremely early in its development cycle! The end is coming! There\'s no way that this could get worse! The entire game is ruined! Schema even put in the changelog that he wasn\'t sure about the rebalance, but I\'m going to ignore that and uninstall the game and demand a refund!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This thread serves no purpose other then to try and piss people off.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    ^huehuehuehue

No, seriously. I\'m genuinely curious as to why people are upset about works of art having their functionality rebalanced but not made useless.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    People have differing viewpoints and are discussing them on an open message board?

Heresy!

Winterhome

Reaction score
    I wish, then I could have access to high crime rates and awful internet connections.
    Nah, I just like sarcastic points. Other dude ninja\'d me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I also enjoy the new update. I have always made fairly bulky armored ships, with heavy turrets and large engines. I enjoy relying on dynamic action and tactics to win fights, rather than passive defenses and number crunching. I strongly feel that the change, clearly meant to keep this game from being nothing but a pissing contest of who spawns more shield blocks, was imminently necessary to allow the game to live past the next few months. A lazy or inept pilot MUST NOT be allowed to be invincible simply because he was sitting on an enormous pile of shields. This balance update needed to happen, and I thank Schema for it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is a good change in balancing. If you think otherwise, you should learn to engineer better ships instead of relying on massive numbers of shield blocks. The next steps are to do something about rotation speed and implementing chain docking.

This is a PvP sandbox sim. If you want friendly building, make a server and protect everything.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    I also approve.

I\'m making a commentary about a social issue I\'ve noticed, of course, which has nothing to do with the change so much as the people.

Any kind of change to the way that numbers work will break someone\'s \"use this for everything\" formula, resulting in massive outrage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \" friendly building game\" since when SM is friendly building game? majority of players is interested in PK and greifing

Reaction score
    Even as part of the largest peacekeeping faction, this is what I live for.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Even if the change was too extreme (which I don\'t think it is), the mere fact that Schema is putting thought into balancing stuff like this should be positive for people. It\'s really early in development, there are bound to be imbalances, the devs attempting to balance it, them coming back to rebalance stuff, then the introduction of something new which throws everything off balance again.

I seriously doubt this\'ll be the final numbers for shields, or even if the shields will remain in the game as they are, or if there\'ll be another option available soon for defense which is better/worse.

People just need to chill and enjoy the awesome game that they\'re lucky enough to enjoy for little to no cost.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    To me, good looking ships are always more interesting and fun than stat-monsters. It really put a frown on my face when I realised a good portion, but not all, of the devoted Starmade players were StatsMunchers.

It\'s still in Alpha, so obviously balancing is going to go around like a seesaw for a while. That\'s how an Alpha works. If your huge ship\'s shields drop faster, then why the heck are you worried about a smaller ship with smaller shields too. If anything, this might finally give some value to armor thickness.

Reaction score
    There will never be any value to armor thickness due to it always adding to the mass & requiring more thrust and whatnot.

Oh, and don\'t forget about most cannons one-shotting hardened hull. that extra layer you took ages to add takes 1/10th of a second to remove.