YAARS - Yet Another Aux Reactor Suggestion

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So I've been thinking, and it seems like there is a way to make Aux reactors more interesting.

Right now, Aux reactors store power like a battery, releasing it quickly once the reactor is turned on. Personally I can't say I've ever been in a situation where a 5-7 second infusion of stored power would help that much.

What if, instead of just releasing that power to the main power grid, that stored power was released as a "buff" to any system in need of charging? Like lets say you are in battle; Your shields are getting low and your jump drive is at 0. You turn your aux reactor on and stored power is dumped directly into those two systems, giving a shield boost, and a jump-start on your jump drive charge.

I'd also say that to keep people from just constantly charging and dumping, there should be a fairly long recovery time (1 minute?) from the time an aux reactor is turned off, until it begins to charge stored energy.

This might make Aux reactors more appealing to smaller ships too. A smaller ship would probably benefit greatly from an ability to boost shields long enough to escape uneven combat.

Reaction score
    When its on it still provides extra power. Even when it's off it provides a little extra power. The also store the power and provide a burst of power when first turned on. People shouldn't need to constantly charge and discharge if the aux power is providing the needed additional power.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    When its on it still provides extra power. Even when it's off it provides a little extra power. The also store the power and provide a burst of power when first turned on. People shouldn't need to constantly charge and discharge if the aux power is providing the needed additional power.
    Yeah, I think I'm just trying to come up with something that is more useful for the "battery" function they provide. Just seems wasted to me the way it is setup now.

EDIT - It might also add some strategic thinking too. Do I bring my aux reactors online at the start of a battle to use my mega-cannon and try to finish my opponent off early, or hold activation for later in the battle, so I conserve that stored energy?

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    EDIT - It might also add some strategic thinking too. Do I bring my aux reactors online at the start of a battle to use my mega-cannon and try to finish my opponent off early, or hold activation for later in the battle, so I conserve that stored energy?
    Often it is best to diminish your enemies firepower as fast as possible - feed your guns and kill his turrets.