Wormholes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This, like plenty of other posts, is a suggestion about how to do FTL. This, though, isn't a drive. Basically, wormholes can be a naturally occuring thing out in the universe. You find one, and it could carry dozens to hundreds of sectors across space. Additionally, artificial wormholes (yes, stargates) cold be constructed. The two ends would have to be built, though, so you would still need to get out to the end point of your artificial wormhole and build that end before you could use it. The end points could either be paired (making a single, static wormhole, or given unique addresses (a more dynamic network of wormholes).

Travel could then easily occur outside of normal space in a tunnel of sorts. If a ship were to try to stray off course into the wall of the wormhole or something, it could get bumped around by gravity effects, taking damage as it gets further from the center of the tunnel.

This would solve the problems with implementing an FTL drive by simply not having one, and would make you have to work for you long distance travel.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This, this completely!

It contains everything I like about the concept.

Random wormholes can \'tp\' you to a random sector.

And wormholes can be made but you need to build shit on both ends, requiring you to travel the distance yourself first.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is exactly what I was thinking. At the same time, it could allow for really nice designs of Stargates for factions - maybe making entire space stations to host them.

I was also thinking that maybe they would require more power for bigger Stargates.

But this is what Starmade needs right now - a way to travel long distances. The enormous world limit must be harnessed!

mou

Reaction score
    Good idea but it could be even nicer with this:

I think a wormhole engine it would be really great, like that:

you have a block where you add minerals inside to make the drive work (then it cost much or you would have to find it on planets rare stuff that you can\'t buy and pirates don\'t give)

and enchancers to open a bigger wormhole to travel then big ships would require much \'fuel\' to run the engine and small ships could travel in the same wormhole as big ships when its openned and enchancer should take some space then fighters wont run a wormhole by themselve

who agree?

???

Reaction score
    stargates i can imagine building your homeworlds 100s of sectors apart so the enemy can only reach you with stargates and them blowing them up to block enemys from your worlds

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe something like.. This? http://star-made.org/content/warp-gates-worm-holes

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I didn\'t catch your post on the matter. Yes, the artificial end is pretty much the same, though I\'m also suggesting the possibility of naturally occurring wormholes as well. More natural phenomena help make the galaxy seem more diverse. Note my other suggestion for nebulas? It just so happens that technology to better utilize and replicate these natural phenomena would also make a good solution for an FTL implementation.

I\'ll probably suggest a few other natural phenomena if they haven\'t been suggested already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Natural ones used to exist, they were laggy as well as useless for actual transport as they would randomly link to a different sector, one way trip and would not last long, same with most fantacy wormholes.