Working on My First Capital Ship, Any Advice?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    In case you dont know there's also a soft cap on power regeneration at 1,000,000. It is possible to bypass the softcap with a turret/power drain beam setup.
    Ah so that's why my new generators are only producing 25 e/t.

Reaction score
    If you have the power to burn, the damage from Overdrive Effect at 50% > Ion at 100%

Damage 1000 with Ion 100%
    Shield damage = 2000
    Block Damage = 0

Damage 1000 with 50% overdrive
    Shield Damage = 2000
    Block Damage = 2000

Damage 1000 with 100% overdrive
    Shield Damage = 3000
    Block Damage = 3000

Reaction score
    In case you dont know there's also a soft cap on power regeneration at 1,000,000. It is possible to bypass the softcap with a turret/power drain beam setup.
    Does this trick still work (for version 0.157)?

I tested it recently, and couldn't get it to work - it was as if the power drain beam doesn't even fire (no visible beam, no power gained in mother-ship, no power lost in docked ship).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Does this trick still work (for version 0.157)?

I tested it recently, and couldn't get it to work - it was as if the power drain beam doesn't even fire (no visible beam, no power gained in mother-ship, no power lost in docked ship).
    Does this work:

create the docked power generator, and on the powersupplycomputer create a logic clock connected to it, have it aimed straight at a block of mothership power modules, and turn the clock on.

Or is that what u did?

Reaction score
    Does this work:

create the docked power generator, and on the powersupplycomputer create a logic clock connected to it, have it aimed straight at a block of mothership power modules, and turn the clock on.

Or is that what u did?
    I had a power drain beam on my mother-ship pointing directly at the docked ship, where the power drain beam was fired manually (added to quick-bar). The docked ship was fully charged power tanks (I removed the power generators for testing). For the test itself I consumed most of the mother-ship's power, then fired the power drain for a while, and switched to the docked ship to see if it lost any of its stored power.

When this didn't work I added a cockpit/camera so I could see if the power drain beam fired at all. It didn't. I couldn't figure out why - it looked fine everywhere (weapon's tab, structure tab, etc).

Reaction score
    Just checked it out. I think it's an issue with ships not being to shoot their own turrets.

Reaction score
    did u set the fire point manually?
    Yes, I set the "current output block".

Just checked it out. I think it's an issue with ships not being to shoot their own turrets.
    I think you're right. I've just tried a plain power drain beam (without a docked ship in front of it) and that seems to work fine.

What I'm thinking is that this specific exploit (e.g. getting around the power regen soft cap with docked generator ships shot by power drain beams) may have been intentionally fixed.

If that's the case; I'll need to figure out how to use logic gates, etc and try the next exploit (e.g. getting around the power regen soft cap with docked generator ships that shoot power supply beams). :)

Reaction score
    Yes, I set the "current output block".

I think you're right. I've just tried a plain power drain beam (without a docked ship in front of it) and that seems to work fine.

What I'm thinking is that this specific exploit (e.g. getting around the power regen soft cap with docked generator ships shot by power drain beams) may have been intentionally fixed.

If that's the case; I'll need to figure out how to use logic gates, etc and try the next exploit (e.g. getting around the power regen soft cap with docked generator ships that shoot power supply beams). :)

Im assuming docked ships cant hit the main ship either.

-edit-
    TOTALLY WORKS!!!!!

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Does everything have to be reactivated when the sector the ship's in is unloaded? That could prove to be pretty painful.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Does everything have to be reactivated when the sector the ship's in is unloaded? That could prove to be pretty painful.
    Logic pauses when the sector is unloaded, and does not restart when loaded until it receives a logic update

Reaction score
    When i read all this answers I cannot believe this is a forum of a space game. When you build a ship what is the first thing you must do?
    -Power generator: wrong
    -Shields: wrong
    -Structure: wrong
    -Interior: wrong
    Every well constructor of ships know that the most important part of a ship is the autodestruction system. How do you think a ship can fly whitout one of that?

And if an enemy hits the Explosive? You die, along with the ship (which you can avoid if the ship is overloading by getting out of the ship right before it dies.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    lol I completely forgot about this thread until Dirt113 here posted again. Believe it or not I'm still working on the ship, and it's actually very close to being complete. Everything but the detailed interiors and turrets are now complete. I'll upload some pictures a bit later.

I've been incorporating everything from the new updates, like the jump drive, medical systems, new weapons, and all that fun stuff, so as you might imagine it's taken time away from completing the original design. Not to worry though, you'll soon be looking at a ship with over 200,000 dps (Turrets not included), 3,000,000 shields, 1,750,000 power generations, and 33,000,000 power storage... Not to mention a ton of other cool little things like storage and factory centers, a hanger with two transports, and a powerful attack fighter!

-Cheers! :D

Reactions: Krazykat