With the Steam release, the HP system, and control chairs on the horizon...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...Wouldn't it be a good time to pull that "delayed" tag off of the transparency bugs and start trying to fix how stuff behind transparent objects renders? At least partially? Because as much as I get how hard it may be to write good rendering code that also performs reasonably well, I don't think people will react well to not being able to see missiles or other players flying at their glass wall. (Fixing planet atmospheres would be nice, too.)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Control chairs? What? Where? When? Also yes, the big man said he was chasing down a difficult bug, he might focus on the glaring bugs as well. TBH I would prefer he did a good blasting against bugs with no features and just kill of the lot of them (until the next update of course) but it might not happen.

Reactions: Mariux

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I think that the transparency bug is something that's been in OpenGL based games since the 90s. :u

I'm sure there are fixes for it lying around, but it's a very, very old one.

Reaction score
    I think that the transparency bug is something that's been in OpenGL based games since the 90s. :u

I'm sure there are fixes for it lying around, but it's a very, very old one.
    https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Transparency_Sorting
    The problem is that the Z buffer prevents OpenGL from drawing pixels that are behind things that have already been drawn. Generally, that's pretty convenient, but when the thing in front is translucent, you need to see the things that are behind it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The planet atmospheres. Yes. I once had the fortune of actually seeing one, and what I saw was... was... What I saw was truly breathtakingly beautiful.

So fix them!

Reactions: Mariux

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Also yes, the big man said he was chasing down a difficult bug, he might focus on the glaring bugs as well.
    I see what you did there. The transparency bugs cause solar glare to show through... glaring bugs... ehe... hehehe... heh.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The planet atmospheres. Yes. I once had the fortune of actually seeing one, and what I saw was... was... What I saw was truly breathtakingly beautiful.
    Yup, I remember seeing that too, I believe it was the version with the first iteration of 'round' planet bodies, I had a settlement on an earth like planet and it looked great looking up to the sky.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Okay, you mentioned the two things I want most in this game, Control Chairs and transparency bug fixes. Can I ask which source/s have confirmed that they are on the horizon? *hype thrusters on standby*

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Okay, you mentioned the two things I want most in this game, Control Chairs and transparency bug fixes. Can I ask which source/s have confirmed that they are on the horizon? *hype thrusters on standby*
    Control chairs: Not confirmed to be coming soon, but are:
    1) the next logical step now that we can sit on things and combat and player features in general are being refined.
    2) Confirmed to be added at some point.

Transparency bug fixes: Schema said nothing about fixing them. I'm suggesting that he do so; that's the point of this thread..

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Ah I see, I agree that the transparency bug fixes should be done before a whole new wave of complaints and whine threads occur - until another update reintroduces these bugs :(. I Really want the features you mentioned to come first, however I think Schemes may have a bunch of stuff to work on now before the control chairs and HP system etc. For eg, the AI aliens that he teased a while back is still a WIP, all the new shops and stations have yet to be implemented and the upcoming issues he has to solve relating to the steam release.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ah I see, I agree that the transparency bug fixes should be done before a whole new wave of complaints and whine threads occur - until another update reintroduces these bugs :(. I Really want the features you mentioned to come first, however I think Schemes may have a bunch of stuff to work on now before the control chairs and HP system etc. For eg, the AI aliens that he teased a while back is still a WIP, all the new shops and stations have yet to be implemented and the upcoming issues he has to solve relating to the steam release.
    The AI and mob additions will probably come in stages (humanoid NPCs and missions first; procedural species and enemy mobs later) and all I really need to see are basic quests for now.

New shop/station addition should come soon, and I don't think it takes much coding work that hasn't already been done. I might ask AndyP what happened to those soon, though.

Bugfixes are a given.

...This still leaves space for a graphics update pre-Steam.