WIP SHIP: Need Assitance with Turrets

Daro_Khan

Bearer of Truths
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    (am sleepy and tired, thus post will be full of grammar and spelling mistakes!)
    Mainly after spending a crazy amount of time of building my ships hull its now time to build my ships Turrets

This is what i have as a general guide My ships weapon systems. all turrets are design to be able to kill a harden advanced block per shot or even x2 that amount per shot.

X2 Ion Turret akin to Homeworld ion beams that cut through ships like butter.
    Located on top and bottom of ship
    A Beam/cannon Turret designed for sustained close range slicing my current version i think has 4 separate beams . Using the Turret AI and how it likes to shoot for systems it should shoot any openings quickly, after a few tests of deep in 10 seconds chewed thruogh a good layer of armor. I tried a Beam/Beam setup and it cant even penetrate armor to the depth a Beam/cannon did, under 10 seconds.

This turret mainly serves as slicing soft targets are targets with holes killing a block pure damage tick or faster if focusing all beams. with focus fire

x12 Main Cannon Turrets x12 Located on side attack wings and back of ship.
    Simple Cannon/explosive effect design to kill a block of harden advanced armor a shot. Exp is added to inflict area damage and reduce over penetration. Akakin to Flak rounds of Battle star Galactic.

4 Misses Turrets
    Am not sure what type to put in here other then Cruise missile (Missle Beam) and Torps (Missles/Pulse)
    Heat seekers are a no go. And am not sure about Missles/cannons (rockets) I could through a beam/cannon/ stop beam to assist in tracking :)

The way the front of my ship is designed I need to figure out how to build my Gun Deck structure to support forward firepower so the guns can shoot over each other.

Also am thinking of adding a third type of turret in the front between the two wings and the main hull as some sort of *chaser* cannons, though am not sure what id stuck in there..

The turrets you will see in the following pictures are my pro-types, am just pondering on there damage and what else i need.

I know DPS and hard hitting weapons are only really needed for bring down shields.....fighting versus ships that are the same size as me but built to kill ships it size or better is not my design reason behind this ship.

This ship is a Heavy Assault Cruiser could change, Its wings however are ment to be impressive cannon/eplosive. And Have a array of Missles/pluse somewhere inside the hull of the ship. The rear wings where to be Cruiser misses tubes (missles/beam) x50 25 on each side. and some sort of Beam/pulse/ion for killing shields.

However everything but the Cannon/exp Took a metric ton of Power to shoot. and would easiily overcome the 2mill soft cap of power. I used to have docked reactors but they where a turn off..... My ship currently right now has 20 mill shields 1 mill shield recharge and 60% ion effect 8 mill power regen 163 mill power storage. and 0.3 thrust ratio which uses about 3 mill power to move.....

My idea for my turrets was they could supply there own power, but this makes them get bigger.....

Anyway enough of my lil rant. I really need help and idea's on my turrets now. position and looks and function. and performance. and or any *structures* that need to be raised to support my turret network

Here are the pictures the ship is undergoing its *wedging hepta teteraing* phase...Plus Turrets.....

engine sexy time becuce i can, also...why is it so dark!! ugh!

Last edited:

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ive seen better engines. also whats the prob exactly?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455906846,1455906626][/DOUBLEPOST]brighter engines plz makes it better

Daro_Khan

Bearer of Truths
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hahaha, everyone seen better engines :D besides am humble in my design, Am not that great in decorating at all, though they do look better in game.

My issues is, Am honestly not sure the best way to make my turrets, it seems making a turret fit a ship so it looks good means your planned *damage output* is not going to be planned at all.Its almost that you need to make your turrets first then the ship to mount them.

So here is my Question. Whats the general *Go TO* Turret types out there? Turrets with just their damage and no power? no shields? By adding in more subsystems in the turret the *bulkiness goes up*.. so am courious how YOu the forums would make turrets for the ship i have made. What would *you do*. i neeed some food for my brainstorming and thus i come to ask the forums!

I know there ships out that are designed to kill big ships....with the fleet stuff comming in. maybe that changes?

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hahaha, everyone seen better engines :D besides am humble in my design, Am not that great in decorating at all, though they do look better in game.

My issues is, Am honestly not sure the best way to make my turrets, it seems making a turret fit a ship so it looks good means your planned *damage output* is not going to be planned at all.Its almost that you need to make your turrets first then the ship to mount them.

So here is my Question. Whats the general *Go TO* Turret types out there? Turrets with just their damage and no power? no shields? By adding in more subsystems in the turret the *bulkiness goes up*.. so am courious how YOu the forums would make turrets for the ship i have made. What would *you do*. i neeed some food for my brainstorming and thus i come to ask the forums!

I know there ships out that are designed to kill big ships....with the fleet stuff comming in. maybe that changes?
    eh. maybe small pdt turrets then huge anti-ship turrets. also atra builds a gun. then builds the ship around it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455907232,1455907176][/DOUBLEPOST]also for WHITE ENGINES. you want lava and ice crystals. covered by 2 layers of reg ice

Daro_Khan

Bearer of Truths
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    eh. maybe small pdt turrets then huge anti-ship turrets. also atra builds a gun. then builds the ship around it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455907232,1455907176][/DOUBLEPOST]also for WHITE ENGINES. you want lava and ice crystals. covered by 2 layers of reg ice
    better pictures
    Lava for center? Ice around it? and then cover that all up with reg ice? hmm interesting.

Yeah The battlestar in the show mainly just has cannons that are REALLY good at Point defense. The idea is my ship can be used for normal defense and be the flag ship for general system security. but in big brawls its a support ship for the larger ships. in skirmishes its the command ship.

just after the ships main armament..of Dual spinal Cannon/explosive (huge) A modest 15K Missiles/pulse system and 50 tubes of cruise misses (might break them down into 5 tubes for 1 computer x 5 for each side) and maybe a modest to available power Beam/pulse/ion to remove a modest chunk of shields/armor hp pool. every once in a blue moon. might be good.

After that i need to be careful with what turrets i have. hmmmmmm this is the hardest dam part. I DO know i will have Anti-missle turrets for sure simple and easy to do.

I feel turrets fall under a few simple means

Anti-missles
    Anti-crew
    Anti-Shield (Mix of DPs or High alpha)

Block Cutters (many projectiles that break 1 block per shot at-least Or carve through many but avoids over penetration)

Misses Turrets (more Dakka)

thoughts ideas?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I personally like many cannon/cannon/overdrive turrets as the backbone of my turret offense just to keep a steady stream of fire to chew through shields and armor alike. Supported by missile/beam/ion (about 20% or so) turrets for larger damage bursts and initial shield damage. At least two PDTs that can point at the same part of sky at any given time, and then some power drain or EMP turrets as many people seem to build ships without sufficient buffer on their energy. Nothing quite says amusing like watching a ship get crippled because they don't have enough power to run their weapons, recharge their shields, and eat the power damage all at the same time.

Make sure and find out if your server has friendly fire enabled or disabled though. Missile spam can get shot down by accident by your own cannons if they happen to cross each other when friendly fire is turned on.

Daro_Khan

Bearer of Truths
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    ah right.....overdrive is good with things that are small!!! to get higher damage then the objects mass would let on! illl havee to tests these! am, trying to get my turrets to look good

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yup, overdrive lets your turrets punch well above their weight class, while still being small enough for the mother ship/station to not really even notice the extra power drain.

Daro_Khan

Bearer of Truths
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I tried the overdrive turrets and they where going to take 700K or so per shot, when i would have 12 of them.

YAAAAAhh so i switch them to just explosive as i prefer this more. they only take 116k engery per shot now and still do respectable damage :) per shot. i might lower the ratio but am happy with my secondary turrets doing this amount of damage. now i am after making a Missles/Beam/ Turret, id have 4 of theses. and then i need to figure out my gun deck....