WIP: HMS Nightmare

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So, I'm back, and starting on a new project! The HMS Nightmare is my (second) biggest project yet, with estimated dimensions at 400m length, 200 width, and 150 height. She's going to be a Fleet carrier, and depending on how I do the hangar decks, she could very possibly hold 128 fighters. However, I think that's a bit excessive. She's just a skeleton at this point, but let's get to the screenshots.

This one's a size comparison between the Dream class fighters that will be stationed inside her. The large rectangles are the dimensions of the hangar decks. There will be four of them, hopefully able to hold 18 fighters each. Depending on expansion, i may increase the count to 8 decks. We'll see.

This is a closeup of the engine layout. I'm going for a very curved, organic feeling to the ship, so naturally i'm tearing my hair out in frustration.

A side view, showing off the turret troughs. There will be long, railgun style cannons coming out of the side. They're designed this way so that the cores of the turrets will be protected by the main ship itself.

Leave comments, suggestions, easier ways to do these fucking curves, ect. It's nice to be back!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t envy you the construction of those curves.

Edit: Regarding said curves....

Someone posted a \"pixel circle generator\" application somewhere around here earlier - you could in theory use it to generate a curve of the dimensions you want, since I think it also allows for ovals.

http://donatstudios.com/PixelCircleGenerator

Also I think there is a sphere generator somewhere, but I do not know the link for it...

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Yet another amazing project. Why am I still surprised, though?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    kill me now.... I can do polygon sculptures. I can do spirals, spheres, circles, ovals, all sorts of simple curved shapes...

but this fucking flared S-bend....

s\'gonna make me lose my mind

EDIT: I love you whoever you are

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alrighty, so after a few days of sporadic work, I\'ve made some considerable progress. The flared S- Bend going from the bridge to the engines took FOREVER. But it looks nice now, for being done completely by eyeballing it.

I also dicked around with the engines, trying to come up with a shape I was happy with.

What do you all think?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    After quite a bit of work yesterday, the back end is pretty much fleshed out, and I have only one thing to say:

Do she got booty?

She do

I also worked a bit on the front and sides, fleshing out the gun troughs with turret mountings, and adding a bit of spice the the bridge and hull. It\'s still a little bland, but it\'ll get better.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I probably should have thought of giving you the link to that generator earlier... I\'ve kinda been using it for around 8 months now...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    By the way, after this, you should make a showcase of all of your ships in one or two photos (two because I doubt you can fit much in a photo after the Harmony.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve made consideable progress on the ship, and you can really start to envision the finished product. She\'s a very pretty ship so far, for literally being a pregnant whale.

This is an excellnet front shot of how far she\'s come. I\'m currently filling out the Hangars, which are the four glowy slits you see there in the front. Question, how many fighters does the record holding carrier in Starmade hold? Because right now, the Nightmare is sitting with 240 of the little things snug in her belly. So cozy. Work in progress shot of the Hangars.

That is 60 fighter spots per hangar deck. There are 4 hangar decks. 240 fighters. Just let that sink in.

Fear the swarm.

While this may seem like 240 fighters would fill every spare cranny in this ship, I assure you that there will be more than enough room to fit everything else, including a fully functional interior. The shell isn\'t completely done. Not too worried by that though. What do you all think?