Why the ship core?

Reaction score
    It\'s a pretty radical idea, and personally I see this working out. It\'s true that a spaceship (not to be confused with drone fighters etc.) should be commanded from the bridge (operated by players). In my opinion the core should act as a \'energy core\' or maybe a shieldcontroller, not as the single object that is at the top of the hierarchical pyramid.

Maybe we need to let go of the idea that everything is centered around one thing, and rather make ships and stations be more modulair. It\'s kind of old-fashioned anyway, right?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The idea of a ship \"Core\" comes from the Star Trek idea \"Warp Core\", a contained anti-matter explosion held within a thick core (Almost like a nuclear reactor). The idea is, if you hit the core, the antimatter mixes with regular matter, and BOOM! Your core should always be the most protected part of your ship.

I would like Power strips to be more like plasma-tubes and in the center, you got an AM reactor which goes boom and ignores shields - the larger the power lines, the bigger you have to make it, the bigger the explosion...

But it should not take out titans.

Maybe we need to let go of the idea that everything is centered around one thing, and rather make ships and stations be more modulair. It\'s kind of old-fashioned anyway, right?

+1

It\'s true that a spaceship (not to be confused with drone fighters etc.) should be commanded from the bridge (operated by players)

There could be multiple (fallback) bridges/command-consoles and you could have to target the players/AI-modules.

But with 10 seconds to kill shields and 10 more second till you cut power and thruster lines and pierced into the shield blocks ... who needs a second bridge?

We can already make modular ships with ship docking, but they have gaps (not bad for fighters, but visually) and it is not good for your shielding, except you turn around a lot, use the advantage in mobility and know how to undock the correct module if it is more weight than use in a fight.