Why the ship core?

Reaction score
    So, I was looking at starnade one day and said to my self "The ugliest block in the game has to be the core", I said this hoping that the core was a temporary block, so later on we can have chairs with control panels near them, and captain the ship from our view as if we were flying it. I want to be able to see my hands when flying, and I am certain that if you do this more people will make a skin.

Also, you need to fix the skins, because they be ratchet.

Reaction score
    They work, but they do not look the best, they are too complicated, they need to have the legs together not apart, they need to make the arms and shoulders not bend and clip, they need to make the head more 3D the body more 3D and basically everything is too thin. \"the skins work just fine\"?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    So, I was looking at starnade one day and said to my self \"The ugliest block in the game has to be the core\"

Not sure about everyone else but I personally don\'t think the core is ugly at all. If so you\'d have to say the same about the build block, faction module, shield block, docking expanders, etc. etc. They all have the same design as the ship core but with different colors. So I think you might be in the minority on this one.

I said this hoping that the core was a temporary block,

Nope. You need the ship core to start a new ship. It\'s a necessity. And what else would you start a ship with? (that\'s a rhetorical question; meaning don\'t answer it)

so later on we can have chairs with control panels near them, and captain the ship from our view as if we were flying it.

This is what SD Cockpit blocks are for.

I want to be able to see my hands when flying, and I am certain that if you do this more people will make a skin.

This currently isn\'t a reality in the game, you can\'t see your hands anyway, and you probably won\'t be able to for a long while.

Also, you need to fix the skins, because they be ratchet.

\"Ratchet\"? How... I... How does that word even work as an adjective? Is this some sort of hip middle school saying that the new generation uses these days? I\'m a 90\'s kid so I\'ve never heard this phrase used before except with kids below the age of 12.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Is that ratchet as in \"Ratchet & Clank\"? I certainly hope so, because that game was synonymous with \"awesome\" back when I was a kid, and the stuff that\'s being done in Starmade is most certainly awesome.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    No ratchet means loud and annoying. ex: That girl is so ratchet.

Reaction score
    Not sure about everyone else but I personally don\'t think the core is ugly at all. If so you\'d have to say the same about the build block, faction module, shield block, docking expanders, etc. etc. They all have the same design as the ship core but with different colors. So I think you might be in the minority on this one.

-Then You have very poor taste. Said blocks don\'t look particularly like anything. They\'re bright and colorful, so simple minded folk must find them mesmerizing, but anyone not on the mental level of a moth isn\'t likely to enjoy them that much; They don\'t look like computers, nor pilot seats, nor consoles, nor anything mechanical. Just a non-figurative jumble. Plus, I don\'t even think the OP was referring to the textures. Those can be changed easily.

Nope. You need the ship core to start a new ship. It\'s a necessity. And what else would you start a ship with? (that\'s a rhetorical question; meaning don\'t answer it)

-A; They shouldn\'t be a necessity. They limit the freedom of construction, and it has birthed terrible combat mechanics; A ship shouldn\'t stop functioning because someone drilled a 1x1 hole in it and damaged that one single block in the middle.

-B; There\'s plenty of other methods to start building a ship. If that question looks even remotely rhetorical to you, you are woefully unimaginitive and also live under a rock. Even if you don\'t want it answered-for fear of looking foolish-, there\'s many logical answers. A certain other game already showed a much better method. Their ships start wherever you want to start, and stop functioning as you lose true function blocks.

This is what SD Cockpit blocks are for.

-No. SD Cockpits are cameras. You can\'t sit on them, you can\'t enter them. (Should be renamed to cameras by the way) Also unrelated to what the OP meant. He himself explained it better a few lines later. You even quoted it. But you just had to be a smart@ss. Which would be okay, IF you knew what you were talking about.

This currently isn\'t a reality in the game, you can\'t see your hands anyway, and you probably won\'t be able to for a long while.

-Quite possibly why the OP wrote \"I want to be able to...\" instead of \"I am able to...\" -Which pretty heavily implies he himself is aware of the fact it\'s not in the game right now, but would like to see it happen some day.

\"Ratchet\"? How... I... How does that word even work as an adjective? Is this some sort of hip middle school saying that the new generation uses these days? I\'m a 90\'s kid so I\'ve never heard this phrase used before except with kids below the age of 12.

-You\'d better believe the 80\'s kids found your slang terms just as odd. Also, if by your own admission you\'re a 20-something, should you be going out of your way to undermine a perfectly sound argument posted by someone you think to be half your age? Or better yet, should you be so bad at it? You seem to have misunderstood most of his points; considering how he was able to make a smarter post than you did, he looks to be the \"older\" one among the two of you. And on the web, you\'re only as old as you can appear to be.

Reaction score
    The core is essential, but hopefully later on you will have it somewhere else in the ship, but access flight with a cockpit that is not a block, hopefully something that is (in it\'s own square way) a chair. The SD cockpits would become chairs and you would access the ship by entering the chair, not the core. further more I am very young and all that jubble, but I do not know why I said ratchet, I think my sister is influencing me more than she should...

Reaction score
    On the web I have been told to be \"mature\" and I do not do something usually someone my age would do.

I am 11 as to this day, but I will be 12 on Febuary the 8th

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I know how you made your player model look like Dave...

Reaction score
    If you really like something, it\'s good to be thinking about how to make it better still.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Correct. It is technically a \"ghetto\" corruption of the word \'wretched,\' but doesn\'t really mean that... Try Urban Dictionary\'s definitions and you\'ll get the jist of it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    What could be if the sign is a monitor like block and with blocks being coded with lua: http://star-made.org/content/lua-code-blocks-functions-0

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I made a similar, but broader, topic like this, about decentralizing the core in general.

CES

Reaction score
    I actually use the core a lot just as a very quick transport when my ship glitches or if I get out too early.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I actually use the core a lot just as a very quick transport when my ship glitches or if I get out too early.

But I hate not to know which AIs are activated and have to fix it everytime - you also go into turrets.

Also - for a spawn base or some RP stations - it would be cool to have public teleporters which can not get salvaged or undocked.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The idea of a ship \"Core\" comes from the Star Trek idea \"Warp Core\", a contained anti-matter explosion held within a thick core (Almost like a nuclear reactor). The idea is, if you hit the core, the antimatter mixes with regular matter, and BOOM! Your core should always be the most protected part of your ship.

-Cheers! :D