Why the shield change is good

Reaction score
    I think the change is a start. Its neccesary to make the shields of smaller fighters stronger cause its just ridiculous how weak they were. But the softcap should be removed again or at least changed. Its not really good if one single small fighter can shoot out a Huge Planetsized ship. But i think it would be a good idea to increase the recharge delay with the mass of the ship.

Reaction score
    If you are not happy with the shield nerf you can ask for \'modify\' the shield power in config files no ?

Reaction score
    Somehow all of them act like Schema cut their b**** and d**** off only because their ships aren\'t invincible anymore. If you want protection from small ships, use turrets. The AI just needs to be better and you have to be able to activate and configure the AI from inside the host\'s core and then that is viable, too.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    This guy understands it. While it IS possible to take out a capital ship with a small fighter now (ask BDLS), this basically fixes combat so that smallerships can stand a chance against larger capital ships. Just now I attacked Orrin in his Blizzard, something with upwards of 40 million shields with some ridiculous amount of regen. I won, and proceeded to destroy two other capital ships in a vessel half their size. It\'s not about breaking combat, it\'s about intelligent design.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This patch doesn\'t let fighters take out capital ships. It lets slightly smaller capital ships take out slightly larger capital ships.

See, I was confused, because I was able to destroy waves of fighters with my main gun alone (I have enough engines to rotate faster than they can strafe around me)

But now I see. Before, you could see whether your penis was larger than the adverseries and know whther to attack or run away. Now you have to have skill at using your penis, and all the little kids are sad that they haven\'t reached puberty yet.

^ Ad homiem FTW :D

But actually, make better, smarter ships, or get better at the shipfighting game. A small ship with no thought put into it is not going to be able to take out your giant ship unless you put equally less thought into it.

I just sunk 10+ hours into my first capital, and it was super fun regardless of the shields.

Reaction score
    Think of these ships not as naval vessels, but large planes. We move in 3 demensions people, not 2.

Don\'t use the Somali Pirates as an example, we don\'t have the capabilities for inter-ship combat via EVA.

A man with an RPG (or even several) pale in comparison to the Challenger II tank, where they detonate and all the crew year is a quiet thud before turning their main gun... So yeah, who wins there?

Shields were meant to protect against the more maneuverable ships which could otherwise dodge AMCs and missiles with ease. Don\'t forget that, while a good pilot in a small ship made almost entirely out of guns can dodge indefinitely, a cumbersome dreadnaught cannot protect itself indefinitely, and arguing that their protection is the turrets is rendered pointless by the facts that everytime we log on, we have to reconnect them, and then rely on their GOD AWEFUL aiming to protect us.

So in reality, the little guy rarely wins against the better equipped opponent, but the big buy often soaks and deals damage pretty well, especially in the way that a tank is meant to.

That\'s kind of why it\'s called \"tanking\".

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    When you take all the numbers and game mechanics into consideration, the shield modification is a buff to shield strength against other ships your size (due to increased shield capacity), a nerf to shield strength against things slightly smaller than you (No invincibility thresh hold due to regen delay), and it doesn\'t even matter agaisnt fighters because you\'re not going to sit there for an hour letting them plink at you, are you?

Reaction score
    In this thread (ITT): People with MASSIVE capital ships crying because their OP shield regen go nerfed, cry more. The game is more fun this way.

Reaction score
    The Isanth\'s are shitty ships built for aesthetics. Not to mention the AI are a terrible shot, and normal players wouldnt just stand still and let the turrets hit them.

I\'d like to see the video recreated with 2 player flown Kytech Ravens.

Reaction score
    You sir, got something totaly wrong:

The recovery value isn\'t the reggen tick. It\'s the time you need to not take damage before regeneration starts (with the full value). This means super big shields need a longer time before they start reggen but they still regenerate faster and they are bigger.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The comments have some sense on both sides, but for for logic\'s sake stop comparing HUMAN piloted ships with AI ships especially with ISANTH that are just for the aspect (to look like the StarMade logo), they just have 10 AMC blocks for each of 2 guns, which is the starting pack for a newbie (20 AMC) and just sit there firing slow and missing 50% of the time. Isanth AIs can\'t even kill other Isanth AIs, you can literally wait over 10 minutes and none in a group of 5 gets killed.

OH LOOK I CAN TOTALLY OWN 5 SITTING BARELY ARMED ISANTH, I\'M SO COOL IN MY WORLD WHERE I\'M THE ONLY ONE ALIVE !! xD *foreveralone* ... One thing is explaining that the changes are positive, but could have a little issue at regen, another thing is putting a joke video as \"final addition\" to a comment, it\'s just provoking.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is a video of such and the Ravens lose, wouldn\'t people automatically say that it doesn\'t prove anything other than even bad pilots could fly Ravens?

Reaction score
    if they at least showed effort to destroy the ship and dodge it\'s shots...

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    2 players both flying a Raven would be able to destroy some pretty big ships as long as they are the ones getting the jump on the enemy. Keep rotating on different axis so the enemy can never see more than one of you, and have one draw attention while the other uses safety to rip apart turrets and other vital defenses. Given the design of the Raven it\'s forward hull defenses are pretty strong, the cap ship would need to get through a lot of blocks to hit the core.

Then again, if the capital ship fires first, it will melt the ravens before they can get close enough.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I\'ve been playing StarMade in the last few days, and got into decently (i guess).

This shield update left me a bit disappointed because my biggest ships (a 201m long carrier and a 185m battleship) had rather capient shields and a decent regen. Everything got busted, of course.

Now, has anyone EVER considered making a thick hull instead of relying on shields only?

My battleship has at best a 2-block thick reinforced hull, thus it can withstand it\'s own punishment enough to make an attempt to outmanuver. Ever tried that?

Until shields won\'t be touched again, try to think with armor, not just shields. You\'ll use more blocks, but least you have to worry less about regen and stuff!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would it not also come down to what kind of turrets are being used and if the capital ship is standing still? I personally use 35x18x14 Bobby controled shotgun turrets for station and capital ship defense. If the capital ship has significant thrust it would force the Ravens to fly in more shallow angles, which makes it easier for turrets to track them. Such turrets only need a good shot onto most ships to cause significant damage, and from the shielding change, these turrets would be close to as shields, if not more shielded, than the Ravens shooting at them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hardened hull is quickly eaten up by those to segment their arrays. Base Hardened hull only has a effective HP pool of 400, when you have even five layers that is 2000. Ships with arrays doing over 800 damage still only break a block at a time, ships with two arrays doing 400 damage each will break through two blocks per shot. This damage can be done in light assault class of ships, let alone frigates which could have over half a dozen or even a dozen arrays that do this. Hull, unless buffed(which it should be for the price), means very little.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Of course hull layering isn\'t THE solution to subside shileds, BUT if defenses are so important than i think that at this point i\'d rather (for a capital ship) slap on it about 10 layers of hull and about 20 turrets per side, rather than rely only or mainly on shields as a mean of defense......

Then again, capital ship VS fighter is a ridiculous example.

A capital ship should never hang around alone, nor a fighter should without a support craft in the immediate sectors. \"Realism\". Teamwork is they only salvation to solve this whole thing.

Want to be a lone wolf? Ok, take these 20 small craft rifling you to the core with you being like a fish out of water....

But anyway, i haven\'t played yet on any \"big\" or official server, so i can\'t really say anything about teamwork in SM.