WHY MUST THINGS LIKE THIS HAPPEN TO ME?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So, I had spent pretty much an entire day making a battleship, which was by far the best ship I had ever made. Then, something went wrong with my starmade, and it gave me an error message about a "socket exeption". So, backed up the ship, then went to steam and deleted local content and reinstalled. What I did NOT realize was that for some stupid reason IT HAD PUT THE SHIPS SAVE FILE IN THE STEAM CONTENT FOLDER. So I just deleted the ship I had worked all day on. ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG. WHY? WHY CANT I HAVE NICE THINGS.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So, let me get this straight- your game crashed. You started the game back up with no problem, saved your battleship blueprint, then closed the game and then deleted all of your content? And you're angry that blueprints are kept with the rest of your local content?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    So, let me get this straight- your game crashed. You started the game back up with no problem, saved your battleship blueprint, then closed the game and then deleted all of your content? And you're angry that blueprints are kept with the rest of your local content?
    No, I exported the blueprint. Mostly I am just angry in general.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No, I exported the blueprint. Mostly I am just angry in general.
    Exporting the blueprint just gives a .sment of the blueprint. Where else would it put the BP except in the SM folder? You're supposed to manually take the .sment (or just the BP folder itself) out of the SM folder.

Also, why did you think wiping local content was the solution to what appears to have been a single game crash?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No, it wasn't a crash. It wouldn't start. I get that it was my fault, but it is still incredibly frustrating.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Feel free to upload SMENT blueprints to the Community Content for all to enjoy. It's a great backup solution.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Feel free to upload SMENT blueprints to the Community Content for all to enjoy. It's a great backup solution.
    I had planned too once it was finished..... This has put me off of starmade for a while :(

Reaction score
    If you are using windows 7 (or up?), I think I know a way you might still be able to save your battleship. You can use the Previous Versions feature to open up the game folder you deleted and restore it.

Edit: Just reread your post and if you made it and deleted it within a day its unlikely to be backed up (although it wouldn't hurt to check). Good news is that its STILL probably not gone, but you will need to use something like Recuva. That's a pretty technical program however, so it may not be worth the effort depending on how hard it would be to just rebuild your ship.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yea, I think I may put a note on my screen that says "Don't leave blueprints in the starmade folders"
    [DOUBLEPOST=1438987194,1438987133][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Alas, it is not there.
    Oh... ouch indeed then.

On the bright side, you can now make it bigger, bader and better and correct the flaws of the previous version! Never give up!

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you are using windows 7 (or up?), I think I know a way you might still be able to save your battleship. You can use the Previous Versions feature to open up the game folder you deleted and restore it.
    Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the windows backup thingy. I don't really want to download it because everything microsoft makes seems to include malware.
    Oh... ouch indeed then.

On the bright side, you can now make it bigger, bader and better and correct the flaws of the previous version! Never give up!
    I think I will start on that now, if I could only make starmade work. The errors are back, game wont start. It just says "socketexeption: unrecognized windows sockets error: 10106: create".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think I will start on that now, if I could only make starmade work. The errors are back, game wont start. It just says "socketexeption: unrecognized windows sockets error: 10106: create".
    Have you tried using steam to verify the cache? I've found that even redownloading a game has a different effect than running a cache verification.

Alternatively, you could just use Starmade's actual launcher instead of running it through steam and see if that helps.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Have you tried using steam to verify the cache? I've found that even redownloading a game has a different effect than running a cache verification.

Alternatively, you could just use Starmade's actual launcher instead of running it through steam and see if that helps.
    Verifying cache has not worked. official launcher has the exact same error.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Verifying cache has not worked. official launcher has the exact same error.
    According to A Random Post On The Internet™ this might fix the problem:
    Go to the Start Menu and run cmd.exe in administrator mode, then type in
    Code:
    netsh winsock reset
    Being from the internet, it might do any number of other things, but if it doesn't work you could always restart your modem+router+computer and see if that helps.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    According to A Random Post On The Internet™ this might fix the problem:
    Go to the Start Menu and run cmd.exe in administrator mode, then type in
    Code:
    netsh winsock reset
    Being from the internet, it might do any number of other things, but if it doesn't work you could always restart your modem+router+computer and see if that helps.
    That did, in fact, fix it.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1438996692,1438996508][/DOUBLEPOST]And then I logged in and it was back... all of my rage was for nothing :D