Why is there no wiki?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It is extremely difficult to find coherent, up-to-date information on starmade. Most information regarding the formulae and mechanics behind everything is gleaned from fragments of information dropped by devs here and there, and from the Starmade site news feed.

I find it curious that there is no wiki or ANY documentation of the game at all. This makes the game harder for new players to get into as they must learn everything from other players and by testing things themselves. Information from other players is often inaccurate, and testing is time-consuming, sometimes expensive, and seldom offers complete information.

Reaction score
    IKR? Even the shittiest games have wikies. This game deserves better.

Reaction score
    You are talking about finished games. This is alpha. Wiki is probably hard to manage because everything changes every other patch or so.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It says finished articles : Block IDs but lists the old Plextanium and Quantanium stuff :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    As I understand wiki's are maintained by the public. It is up to us, the players of StarMade to contribute our knowledge to the StarMade Wiki. The StarMade Wiki's success is our hands, at our finger tips let them follow through to your keyboard and lets make this a happen.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    No one can even touch the official wiki and the unofficial one isn't well maintained either. (The former lacks any presence as well, if I didn't follow a link I wouldn't know it existed.)

I guess we could ask and see who has the keys to the official wiki if you think it's urgent and want to contribute but it looks like it was undergoing a overhaul that was never finished.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @DukeofRealms please finish the wiki as soon as possible. I have all sorts of plans for it, and I'd like to get started. I would like to add the item id list with descriptions of all the items and a nice tutorial on everything.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    @DukeofRealms please finish the wiki as soon as possible. I have all sorts of plans for it, and I'd like to get started. I would like to add the item id list with descriptions of all the items and a nice tutorial on everything.
    I second that request @DukeofRealms to please finish the wiki asap
    The wiki is my top priority, and has been for the past month or so.

I can't finish start until @Audentio is done. (Sorry for pointing you out! :p)

I'll keep on poking him until I can start, you have my word.

Reaction score
    I'm not very good on technical stuff like how to set up effective power grids etc. I can however, write basic articles and I will be willing to help out with this once the wiki is set up so that we can be involved with it.

Reaction score
    Wait, who's @Audentio ? Never heard of him. When the 'Admin AI' Resba introduced 'her'self and the rest of the team, 'she' didn't introduce him...

It's a mystery. Anyway once the mysterious Audentio is done with whatever he needs to do, y'all should start editing hardcore style. There might be some medals up for grabs...

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Wait, who's @Audentio ? Never heard of him. When the 'Admin AI' Resba introduced 'her'self and the rest of the team, 'she' didn't introduce him...

It's a mystery. Anyway once the mysterious Audentio is done with whatever he needs to do, y'all should start editing hardcore style. There might be some medals up for grabs...
    @Audentio is the guy who designed and built the site, look at the bottom, his business is credited. "Design from Audentio Designs".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    @DukeofRealms no worries, I don't mind being pointed out, I felt the sticking out of the tongue was a bit juvenile but that is just me; all in all I think the community really wanted to know were the project was are far it's progress or if it was dead in the water. Thanks for letting us know, sorry if you felt like we were calling you out.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    @DukeofRealms no worries, I don't mind being pointed out, I felt the sticking out of the tongue was a bit juvenile but that is just me; all in all I think the community really wanted to know were the project was are far it's progress or if it was dead in the water. Thanks for letting us know, sorry if you felt like we were calling you out.
    ????

I did not call you out...

I can't finish start until @Audentio is done. (Sorry for pointing you out! :p)
    The ':P' along with the rest of that quote, was directed at Audentio.

I also did not think you were calling me out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    @DukeofRealms Sorry for the misunderstanding I did not give the post my full attention. I still feel the sticking out of the tongue was a bit juvenile but that is just me, I think words best describe our emotions regardless of whom it is towards. Communication is key to the success in almost in venture. Thanks for letting us know that it is your top priority. The phrase "calling you out" in this instance was intend to refer to bringing your focus to the StarMadeWiki needs nothing more. Perhaps informing the community were the projects progress lies will ease our minds and aids those of us whom are planning in contributing to StarMadeWiki.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    @DukeofRealms Sorry for the misunderstanding I did not give the post my full attention. I still feel the sticking out of the tongue was a bit juvenile but that is just me, I think words best describe our emotions regardless of whom it is towards. Communication is key to the success in almost in venture. Thanks for letting us know that it is your top priority. The phrase "calling you out" in this instance was intend to refer to bringing your focus to the StarMadeWiki needs nothing more. Perhaps informing the community were the projects progress lies will ease our minds and aids those of us whom are planning in contributing to StarMadeWiki.
    You are correct.

However, when I'm participating in forum conversation, I prefer to speak lightly and with a bit of humour. I'm part of a video game community, a bit of banter here and there helps get to know the userbase on a deeper level. Of course, we all interact differently, and have opinions on the way one should communicate with others.

As for progress, If all goes well, I should be able to start working on the wiki in the weekend. My goal is to open up access to the public within a week. An announcement in the forum news will be made.

Glad to see more of you who are interested in contributing.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem is that there is no wiki about Logic and most things peoples contribute they do over the community content or __the forum__.

Until there is an official wiki with a shared login and we get told not to get blamed for adding a new article there will not be much progress.

1. I'd like everybody being able to edit his own page (possible a group can have a shared version) in the same hierarchy
    2. the owner can suggest a paragraph to be inserted -maybe to replace another- or delete one
    =>
    3. creates a copy for following steps to prevent changes during running votes
    4. the community votes +1 | ~ | -1 to keep spam out
    =>
    [5.] on important or dev-team pages, the admins can accept/reject changes before it's done
    =>
    6. old version (diff file?) is archived
    7. the change gets done​

With the ability for everybody to have own pages one can make an overview over forum topics for himself too.
    Some users will have a good overview of suggestions, good community content ...

I always wished something like this would be a download-able tool - ((would do it myself if it wouldn't require so much third-party information about API and Wiki-syntax and if wouldn't have already running projects)).

Last edited: