Why is it all dark like?

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Now. This is just an aesthetic thing but why are the player models so dark? I walk around my well lit ship and the light doesn't seem to go to the player model? My skin is very dark and had to see (the game also says it is corrupted but that is a different story). I would just like to know why my skin so dark? Is it the lighting engine or did I do something wrong?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Just my random midnight passing comment.
    Iirc, I think that's a lighting thing, light emitted from 1 entity doesn't affect another (So taking a brightly lit ship into a dark hanger wouldn't light up the hanger). The Player model is also a separate entity from the ship, so the lighting wouldn't affect you (Shadows are done separate from lighting)

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Just my random midnight passing comment.
    Iirc, I think that's a lighting thing, light emitted from 1 entity doesn't affect another (So taking a brightly lit ship into a dark hanger wouldn't light up the hanger). The Player model is also a separate entity from the ship, so the lighting wouldn't affect you (Shadows are done separate from lighting)
    That makes skins useless. As you can't see them because of how inherently dark StarMade is.

Reaction score
    Oh man, this is a personal bugbear for me...allow me to explain...

CyberTao is totally right, light engine is so basic that even the most bright of ships won't even touch anything else.

And no, the brigness setting or lighten mode isn't good enough. Stations are dark and dingy which is OK for atmosphere but you can' t just take a search ship with a light on the front and use that to explore, and lights placed down are turned into scrap right away!

This makes me super butthurt because I know it won't be fixed in a very long time, because it has been like this since very early alpha when I first arrived. That was literally my first criticism, I thought that my ships' light not affecting a planet was a bug and I was told it wasn't...wow.

It sucks especially because the game runs somewhat well with little gamebreakers in the bugs department, and yet there are features that are so half finished it make the game look like total shit. Despite the gameplay being decidedly not shit! Bloody hell, full release roll on 2018...

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Oh man, this is a personal bugbear for me...allow me to explain...

CyberTao is totally right, light engine is so basic that even the most bright of ships won't even touch anything else.

And no, the brigness setting or lighten mode isn't good enough. Stations are dark and dingy which is OK for atmosphere but you can' t just take a search ship with a light on the front and use that to explore, and lights placed down are turned into scrap right away!

This makes me super butthurt because I know it won't be fixed in a very long time, because it has been like this since very early alpha when I first arrived. That was literally my first criticism, I thought that my ships' light not affecting a planet was a bug and I was told it wasn't...wow.

It sucks especially because the game runs somewhat well with little gamebreakers in the bugs department, and yet there are features that are so half finished it make the game look like total shit. Despite the gameplay being decidedly not shit! Bloody hell, full release roll on 2018...
    I don't know how I will feel if this is not fixed by full release. Probably a combination of anger, hate and the almost sexual pleasure I get that comes with me being angry and hateful towards things.

Reaction score
    I don't know how I will feel if this is not fixed by full release. Probably a combination of anger, hate and the almost sexual pleasure I get that comes with me being angry and hateful towards things.
    *hate boner intensifies*

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm posting an agree on the OP to try to get more attention on this issue. There have been multiple external-entity-lighting suggestions, including painting a light circle onto the viewed entity to simulate a flashlight, which I think would look good, especially when projected from each light face's normal vector. Maybe light sticks would only project light circle effects from the four non-point faces.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sounds great, but I think the only reason for this not being true yet is the performance, because it would give even more client-server interactions to handle.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Sounds great, but I think the only reason for this not being true yet is the performance, because it would give even more client-server interactions to handle.
    True. In about 6 years we might have the computing power to do run that. Maybe.

Reaction score
    why not just handle it all client side? I mean I don't see much area for abuse... making other ships more visible to spot them early maybe a lil abusable as a cheat and uhm.... I duno I think client side might be an option unless theres soemthing I can't think of.

Reaction score
    here's on exploit that can give an unfair advantage by handling this client side, cloak negation, some one could make a mod that causes cloaks to instead of hiding a ship cause them to shine brightly and even make them shine in what ever color

so like i could make them shine bright orange and in PVP combat i would hit those Orange ships fast and hard because i know that they will have almost no protection and might have decent weapons set up for quick stealth attacks

though on the other hand idk how the games runs any of this stuff and it might not be possible to do that

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    here's on exploit that can give an unfair advantage by handling this client side, cloak negation, some one could make a mod that causes cloaks to instead of hiding a ship cause them to shine brightly and even make them shine in what ever color

so like i could make them shine bright orange and in PVP combat i would hit those Orange ships fast and hard because i know that they will have almost no protection and might have decent weapons set up for quick stealth attacks

though on the other hand idk how the games runs any of this stuff and it might not be possible to do that
    Or, the server could just not send cloaked ships to the client to render. At the end of the day, if *any* information on a cloaked ship is sent to a client, it is possible to have the client hacked to de-cloak it in some way based on the information it is sent. So it either doesn't need to send anything and the client cannot de-cloak it, or it has to send something, in which case server-side lighting makes little difference to eventual hacks.

I can see there being a significant client-side performance hit - I'd buy that as a reason, but not server-side performance.