Why do you die at 50% hp? Shouldn't it be 0%?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm wondering why the game tells you that your ship dies at 50% hp. Shouldn't it say 0%? I'm not saying that I think there should be more blocks destroyed before a ship overheats, I'm fine with how it is now. But why 50%? It just doesn't make sense to me that it dies at 50%, and not at 0%, and at 0% there is still some ship left.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    because lets say someone puts a lot of work into armor and makes some crazy shapes,it would be impossible to destroy every single armor block. the enemy ship would have to be stationary if you wanted to snipe that one armor block you cant hit.
    50% is a nice balance

Reactions: jorgekorke

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    If you decimated 50% of a ship, you can safely assume the crew is dead :)

Reaction score
    I think op is just referring to they way its displayed.

And on that note i totally agree.
    It makes a lot more sense that the hp-bar in the hud shows the remaining hp until the ship overheats rather than the overall hp.
    That way you die when your hp-bar reaches zero.
    Just change the way its displayed. It does feel more natural.

Again for further clarification: The max hp displayed in the combat hud should be (0,5* actual max hp).

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Could also display HP left until Overheat on the side of the main HP bar. Would make more sense than. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think op is just referring to they way its displayed.

And on that note i totally agree.
    It makes a lot more sense that the hp-bar in the hud shows the remaining hp until the ship overheats rather than the overall hp.
    That way you die when your hp-bar reaches zero.
    Just change the way its displayed. It does feel more natural.

Again for further clarification: The max hp displayed in the combat hud should be (0,5* actual max hp).
    Yeah, I second this. "Ship HP" should be how much health the ship has until it dies, not some strange "structural constitution" stat that isn't directly relevant to combat without other knowledge.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Some larger ships don't even explode at 50%. They explode at 60% or higher HP.

The HP bar needs to indicate how much is left until core detonation. Furthermore, different parts of the bar should be different colors to indicate how the loss of HP is affecting the ship, such as:
    • Dark green for OK
    • Yellowish green for slight debut
    • Yellow for moderate debut
    • Orange for severe debuff
    • Red for disabled
    • Empty bar: Your ship just became a time bomb.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I pretty much had to agree with every comment in this thread. Ships shouldn't need to have all of their blocks destroyed to die, but the HP bar should show when you're going to die instead of some random number.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Some larger ships don't even explode at 50%. They explode at 60% or higher HP.
    This is not true. All ships start overheating at 50% system HP.

IMO your ship really should die at 0% system HP. It makes much more sense that way. It could easily be readjusted so that what we know of now as 50% HP becomes 0% HP.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440045511,1440045347][/DOUBLEPOST]
    because lets say someone puts a lot of work into armor and makes some crazy shapes,it would be impossible to destroy every single armor block. the enemy ship would have to be stationary if you wanted to snipe that one armor block you cant hit.
    50% is a nice balance
    You do understand that's not how the HP system works right? You don't literally have to destroy every armor/system block to bring a ship down to 0% of either type of HP. Each block adds its own custom amount to the HP values, and there are also hp damage multipliers added to the ship based on its mass/size. So on a ship with a high multiplier, destroying a single block will do many times more damage to system HP to the ship than it would on a small ship.

As for armor HP, I think its protection value should stay the same until 50% HP, then start gradually dropping down to 0% extra armor protction once it reaches 0% armor HP. That would be much more sensible than instantly and entirely losing a 50% armor defense buff when you go just a minute distance of .1% when you have 50.1% armor HP.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you decimated 50% of a ship, you can safely assume the crew is dead :)
    if you down a ship to 50% hp you definitenly do not remove 50% of the blocks. i mean what displays
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440066146,1440065961][/DOUBLEPOST]
    50% is a nice balance
    I don't understand how this has anything to do with it. I mean the overheat thing, why 50%, shouldn't it say 0% when it dies. I think the amount of blocks required to overheat a ship right now is completely fine, I just think its weird to have the ship still have hp when its overheating "dead".