Why can we rate locked posts?

Reaction score
    I was looking at a thread. Rating the posts as I went, if they fit into one of the categories, in my opinion. At the end of the thread I was thinking if I should post anything useful to the discussion when I noticed it was locked.

The thread isn't the topic. The lock isn't the topic.

The topic is:
    Why can I still rate a post in a locked thread?

While this is a interesting feature I can think of many situations where it could lead to issues. I don't know. It might actually be as useful as it is detrimental. So I can't really suffix the thread title with "bug" or "suggestion". Since, at the core of it, I am just curious.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Well, we generally only lock threads if these situations apply:
    • The post is old and has been necro'd
    • It's a competition or other thread that no longer needs replies
    • The thread has been repeatedly derailed and all rule breaking content has been removed
    • An example of what not to do in a thread (Unlikely)
    Any thread that breaks the rule is usually removed from public viewing, instead of being locked.

So, there really is no need to restrict ratings to only open posts. In fact, for some locked threads such as news or competitions, it's beneficial to have people to continue rating posts... even when we don't want them to reply.

Over the past year and few months this site has been in operation, this has not caused any issues as far as I'm aware.