Who thinks Forcefield door are not like sci-fi movie.

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hello,

Now that we have fleets it would be logical to have proper forcefields that only freandly ships could pass through.
    But players not on a ship would not be able to pass,or missles,or lazers and etc.

The reason forcefield doors in sci-fi were created its because that giant air lock doors wouldn't work with hangars.So the Idea of a traparent door that only freadly ships could pass through and anything else can't pass(OXYGEN).

Reaction score
    That would be an interesting addition.
    Well we tried to simulate this on our server, we have set all the water blocks to non physical, so you can see them and pass right through them.
    It obviously does not have the "faction" or enemy friendly recognition, but it gives you a feeling that there is something keeping the atmosphere in the hangar bay when you open the hangar doors. And you can still fly through it.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Or you could just close the door behind you?

Reaction score
    Well i do that too of course, there is no need to leave the garage door open if you are not at home :)
    This is just for the roleplay element, for the duration of a ship taking off or landing.
    In Star Wars and Star Trek and Wing Commander the Movie they use some sort of atmosphereic Shielding so that people could be and work in the hangar without the need of heavy and most likely bulky space suits.

Normally if you would "roleplay" a ship with out this shielding you would have to evacuate the hangar, close all doors to it, remove the air inside and then open the hangar door.

As there is currently no need for real working airlocks as well, i just build them as they would make real sense int the ship actually had an atmosphere.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    I have no issue with a new atmospheric shield block that is simply none collidable, but replacing the functionality of forcefields is a pretty sucky thing to do, as they are already being used by people as doors, for things like deployable armour

Also, the faction lock idea is also bad IMO, it would mean that there is no risk with leaving a door open, with this block you may as well just fill the entire interior with them and screw anyone attempting to use the already crappy boarding mechanics. It would probably cause lag as the game would need to test if the ship colliding with the door can pass through or not.

Reaction score
    Right, the original forcefileds should not be changed.

And i get the point about not wanting the option for the faction lock.
    So i agree an new "atmospheric forcefield" would be a good idea.
    Btw. Why are the Waterblocks by default "solid"? Like i said, we modified the blocks to be "non physical" so they can work as atmospheric shields.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I agree, the forcefield blocks are not forceyness enough and if they required Midi-chlorians to craft then it might solve everything like its forceyness-ish attributes.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Generally when I think of a force field I think of something that stops ANYTHING passing through... A plasma wall or something to keep in oxygen would be a little different.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Which scifi's actually have force-fields you can pass through that still contain atmosphere and which ones simply have force-fields that act as solid walls?

Reaction score
    Like i mentioned above:
    Star Wars :
    Death Star Hangar and Hangars in Star Destroyers are all 'open' to space So they have a forcefield holding the atmosphere in.

Star Trek:
    Look at the shuttle bays.

Wing Commander the Movie:
    The Tigers Claw main hangar has such a shield they land their fighters through it.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    why does it have to be realistic or resembles force fields from movies or other games.
    They are completely fine as they are right now

Reaction score
    I wouldn't mind something like this it's an awesome idea for things like carrier bays. Being able to launch fighters without having to make your interior and astronauts vulnerable to incoming missiles.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Like i mentioned above:
    Star Wars :
    Death Star Hangar and Hangars in Star Destroyers are all 'open' to space So they have a forcefield holding the atmosphere in.

Star Trek:
    Look at the shuttle bays.

Wing Commander the Movie:
    The Tigers Claw main hangar has such a shield they land their fighters through it.
    None of forcefields in those discriminate between the friendly/enemy ships. Afaik any ship can go through them (unlike what you said in the OP)

Reaction score
    I never claimed that those have a friend or foe recognition.
    I just answered to Sven the Slayers question which Sci Fi universes have atmospheric shields where you can pass through and keep the atmosphere in.

And where did i claim that any universe has this? Can't find it in my previous posts.
    If i raised the impression of being so, than i blame it on not being a natural english speaker and making mistakes in wording my statements correctly.

What i said (or meant) was that it would be an interesting function. Not that it was a good idea to add this to the game.
    I am in general for "atmospheric shields".

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    If forcefield doors are like normal doors execept eye candy what i the point then.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    they are bloody good decorative blocks.
    So much this.

They also suit things that a door wouldn't, like jail cells. or they can just be used as a dim light source

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So much this.

They also suit things that a door wouldn't, like jail cells. or they can just be used as a dim light source
    I don't know about you but I would rather stick to physical mechanical doors to keep my prisoners in. All you need is one power failure and they all escape.