White Boxes in the Galaxy Map

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, a little nuance is to be made here. <g>
    Since I got a new PC since a week with a state of the art GPU (GTX 980) all is well again with this update.
    I did however, just to test, also do an upgrade on my old PC with my GTS 250 card and there the claimed sectors look fine now, but when one is in an unclaimed sector the white out still persists.

For me, this is just academic now of course, but not everybody will have a PC or graphics upgrade planned in the near future. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    I'm still having this issue... I updated my nvidia driver, downloaded a fresh copy 0.19431 and tested. Then downloaded a fresh copy of 0.19228 and tested. The white boxes are there on v0.19431 and not on v0.19228. Please Help.

Attachments

Reaction score
    Hello, I'm still following this bug but I don't see it fixed.
    I have a NVIDIA 9800M GTS video. Claimed systems look fine, other systems are white and impossible to see when highlighted.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I am also having this issue, its the new GUI.

Linux (Debian x64) on an NVidia card with latest product drivers.

Reaction score
    Interesting, I had that issue back in August, but haven't seen it again ever since that bugfix got released...
    Currently using proprietary Nvidia drivers 358.16, but as far as my experiments back then went, downgrading or reinstalling the drivers didn't cause any changes. Seems like some other piece of software might cause these issues.

Reaction score
    This definitely has something to do with older Nvidia cards or at least older software beyond drivers. I upgraded to a brand new card and I haven't had the issue since.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Latest build of SM running Debian Linux AMD_X64 running an NVidia card with latest patched product driver.

This is a common issue between shaders written between ATI/AMD style cards and NVidia which has a different method om implementing transparency. Normally this has to do with the bit depth of the images being parsed via the shader. I would suggest that you supply an option to simply render the system selector box as a coloured wireframe, the partial grid-frame that surrounds the currently selected system could just change colour based on faction and leave this white for non-faction.

UPDATE:
    I have been playing around somewhat, the fix should be pretty easy, just use anything other then pure #FFFFFF as white for the currently selected+non-faction colour, or check to see that the opacity value is compatible with the NVidia way of doing things. When I claim a sector for a faction it turns to the colour of that faction and behaves completely normally (Score!) but when I select another unclaimed sector its all white.

--Optional pre-emptive rant--
    Its been some time since I worked with writing graphical interfaces like 3D but I remember from my old GL loving days that there were some image requirement differences and something to do with the way each card was rounding some values (sketchy on this) and one thing was that nvidia drivers didn't like it when you overwrite a buffer without clearing it first when the same code ran on an ATI would display perfectly. but in this case I'm pretty certain its something to do with the plain colour rendering as I explained above. I'll keep tinkering.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hi,

I am having this problem too.
    GC: GeForce 9600GT

Update:
    To clarify: The faction occupied systems can be viewed as intended, but a non occupied system highlighted is in white as seen in the picture a few posts above. My drivers are uptodate.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    ...UPDATE:
    I have been playing around somewhat, the fix should be pretty easy, just use anything other then pure #FFFFFF as white for the currently selected+non-faction colour, or check to see that the opacity value is compatible with the NVidia way of doing things. When I claim a sector for a faction it turns to the colour of that faction and behaves completely normally (Score!) but when I select another unclaimed sector its all white...
    Bump because this seems unnoticed and the issue is ongoing while the bugtracker for it shows resolved some time ago.