Which weapons can fire through armor blocks?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I have found that I can protect the firing aperture of my beams and cannons by placing an armor block in front of them, and they are able to fire through them. However I have found that to 'not' be the case with missiles. If I put an armor block in front of the missile 'output' and then do a test fire, they cycle and use energy, but there is no visible weapons fire. When without changing anything else, I remove the armor blocks, the missiles fire just fine.

Am I missing something about how these things work? Is there some way I can protect my missiles the way I am able to protect my beams and cannon? Which weapons can be protected and which are more vulnerable?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Make sure a semi transparent block is not obstructing your view. You cannot see missiles through glass and stuff so they may actually be firing and you simply cannot see it. That being said I was under the impression that weapons could go through their own structure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I am looking out of my gun camera. The only change I make between not seeing missiles and seeing them is whether or not I put a hull piece in front of them. When I have nothing in front of them, I see the missiles fire just fine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I am looking out of my gun camera. The only change I make between not seeing missiles and seeing them is whether or not I put a hull piece in front of them. When I have nothing in front of them, I see the missiles fire just fine.
    I think he means glass in front of your camera mate. Glass is very bugged right now and you can't see missiles through it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I think he means glass in front of your camera mate. Glass is very bugged right now and you can't see missiles through it.
    Well, I'll be jiggered, I did use 'crystal' armor as the facement to my missiles. I will test that later this evening. Right now I am late and must run.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well, I'll be jiggered, I did use 'crystal' armor as the facement to my missiles. I will test that later this evening. Right now I am late and must run.
    Not in front of the missiles, the CAMERA, the Thing you are looking through, not the thing you are firing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Not in front of the missiles, the CAMERA, the Thing you are looking through, not the thing you are firing.
    Ah, sorry. I do not have glass in front of my camera. I figure if I loose the shields and my camera gets nailed, I've got a truly excellent view out of my cockpit in any case.

So that means there is apparently still an issue with missiles being blocked by hull armor.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ah, sorry. I do not have glass in front of my camera. I figure if I loose the shields and my camera gets nailed, I've got a truly excellent view out of my cockpit in any case.

So that means there is apparently still an issue with missiles being blocked by hull armor.
    My missile turrets are completely enclosed and I see them fire just fine.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    That's very odd, my missiles fire just fine, even with blocks in front of them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Ok, it turns out this is some sort of graphics glitch and I should probably be reporting it as a bug if it hasn't been already. I went out to test things again, this time with regular armor blocks in front of them instead of crystal armor. However this time I happened to have two point defense turrets active on the ship. It tested both sorts of missiles (snipers and heat seekers) and thought that again they were not firing, but I persisted and fired a few more times.

Sometimes I see the missiles, sometimes I do not. However each time I fire, whether I see them or not, my own point defense tries to shoot down my missiles. (!!!) So clearly the missiles are firing, I am just not being able to see them.

The bigger bug is my own point defense trying to shoot down my own missiles. WTF! Given that this is primarily a missile armed ship, my plan to install ten point defense turrets seems now to be rather insane.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ok, it turns out this is some sort of graphics glitch and I should probably be reporting it as a bug if it hasn't been already. I went out to test things again, this time with regular armor blocks in front of them instead of crystal armor. However this time I happened to have two point defense turrets active on the ship. It tested both sorts of missiles (snipers and heat seekers) and thought that again they were not firing, but I persisted and fired a few more times.

Sometimes I see the missiles, sometimes I do not. However each time I fire, whether I see them or not, my own point defense tries to shoot down my missiles. (!!!) So clearly the missiles are firing, I am just not being able to see them.

The bigger bug is my own point defense trying to shoot down my own missiles. WTF! Given that this is primarily a missile armed ship, my plan to install ten point defense turrets seems now to be rather insane.
    Check your server config. There should be something about missile friendly fire. Two things though- Are you in single player, and are you in a faction?

Because I'm pretty sure the whole "turrets shooting down their mothership's own missiles" thing was fixed, provided you have a faction. If it's disabled on your singleplayer server config for some reason and you do have a faction, just enable it and it should work again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I created my own faction so as to have a homebase (but inadvertently put it in firing range of a pirate base, so I am not at this point using it). I am playing however on a multi-player server.

Reaction score
    missile friendly fire
    That should(if it's intended to do this then that's just silly) only make it possible to shoot down own faction missiles when you're firing at them, not make AI turrets target your own missiles.