Where is a good place to build my first station ?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hello,

I can't decide where to start my first Station.

Is next to my home planet a good spot ?
    In a new system with more planets, more asteroids, both ?
    Orbiting a planet ? Floating in the middle of nowhere ?
    Next to the star ? Next to the system's borders ?

Thanks for your advices

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd recommend building it near some asteroids for quick and easy resource access with a minimum of lag.

Reaction score
    I would also recommend building near the asteroid belts.
    I would not recommend building next to a, or within loading range, of a planet. You need to load the planet as well as the station and all the ships you might have there.

Also if you are on a multiplayer server you might want to build not directly on a system border if you want some early warning time if something enters your system.

I would strongly advise against building close to a star. What ever "tactical" advantage that might suggest it will be as much as a danger to you as to any possible enemy. And if things go south it might block your escape route.

Oh and i would suggest to stay a few sectors away from pirate stations.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    (Rohen makes very good points.)

Your first base may be a temporary one until you find a good location. I choose my location based on the following:

-Smack in the middle of an asteroid belt.
    -A good nebulae for building back-drop. I build a lot and a nebulae helps you see your ship while constructing.
    -I have Pirate stations fairly close so my enemies have to be careful. Nothing within a two-sector radius.
    -I like midway between galactic center and the rim. I want to be able to visit players easily but don't want to be too close to spawn.
    -Avoid spawning a new station across the border of two sectors or in a sector that has a planet. Aim for the center of a sector.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Thanks,

My first thought was to set my station orbiting my home planet. It seems it's not a good spot then.

The system i pick has one external orbite with 2 planets, and several asteroid belts between planets and sun. There is a shop safe from pirates 9km away from my planet, and a good spot with two shops and several asteroids about 15km away.

I've nice belts of asteroids without pirates so i might settle somewhere around.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    lol my faction's HQ is in the same system as a Blue Giant. Nice note is to never build anything within the burn range of a star because it won't be there long.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My criteria:

1) Within an asteroid belt, in a system with at least 2-3 asteroid rings in it. More the better.
    2) Away from planets. As already said, loading a planet along with a monster sized station is a real FPS killer.
    3) At least 3 sectors away from any pirate base/undiscovered station. I like to build in peace and quiet, and not have to be rushed into taking out pirates all the time or being forced to take out a pirate station before I'm ready.
    4) Within 1 sector of at least 1 shop, preferrably within a sector of two or more shops.

Usually first thing I do on a server is find a system with a terran type planet and good rings, and go claim it to build a temporary ground base on. No real reason for always wanting a terran planet other than it looking familiar and friendly. Making sure to have a nice big turret on a tower just in case pirates show up.

I then try to spend at least a day or two upping the size/power of my miner while exploring the asteroid belts. This causes shops to spawn as I explore, and the more I explore the more shops generate. Spend the most time in asteroid belt sections away from undiscovered stations to protect myself and to encourage shop spawning in those areas.

When I find a good spot, the first thing I build is the factory room. Once I have a working factory line, some storage area, etc, then I load my horded materials from the ground station and take them to the new station, and switch it to my faction home at that point.

So priorities are:

1) Ground Base - Gotta have manufacturing. Buying from shops is a trap option.
    2) Suitable Miner - Must have a miner that can eat entire asteroids in at most 30 seconds. Being able to quickly clear a sector out is important, no sitting around all day pecking at asteroids, vaporize them. Usually around 3,000 salvage modules in 50 module long arrays is sufficient for an entry level "real" mining ship.
    3) Scout for suitable station location.

Reaction score
    Hi,

I typically search (using the galactic map thing) for a system with 6 rings and at least 3 asteroid belts, that isn't too far from a worm-hole, and isn't too far from "void space". Once I've found a system I pick a sector that is near the edge of it, away from planets and "rotating sectors", and away from the "worm-hole side".

I don't care about shops much (with the new trading guild stations you can be sure that some sort of shop will be within one jump drive hop). Initially I build an ugly tiny station (shop module, undeathinator, build block, rail docker, faction module and very little else), claim the system, and set the station has "invincible faction home base". Note that I use the shop module as (limited) temporary storage in the early stages; not for selling things.

Then I build a salvaging ship with cloaking and jump drive (and a few missiles and a damage beam). Then I build a temporary factory and cargo area. After that NPC shops are mostly a waste of time (I hoard large quantities of crap and manufacture whatever I'm missing). Once I've got factory, storage and salvager, it's time to start building a decent base.

I choose "near void space" (and don't care too much if I'm near a pirate station) because I know my initial salvaging ship is typically enough to kill pirates safely and salvage pirate stations; and that pirate ships are a valuable source of blocks (the only alternative to mining and factories for increasing wealth). "Void space" has more pirates, which means more loot for me. They can't attack my base (it's invincible, so they ignore it unless I attack them first) and can't attack a cloaked ship either.

I'm not entirely sure why I choose a system next to a worm hole - I like to think that one day I'll use it for fast travel, but I rarely use worm holes because they're one way (and getting back to where you started isn't so easy).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally, I like building my stations in a system with a nice/calm nebula close to a planet and shop if possible - sheltered from pirate bases. That being said, making a station near a pirate station will cause raids to occur (IIRC) which can be farmed safely using station turrets, which is useful if you need a small stream of resources to supplement you.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I like to build in the center of a sector it makes jumping to shops and stations easier also I like to align myself with galactic north before I build the station (I think it's still C) so it is easy to align ships with the station or when trying to dock reactors or turrets . And lastly building in the lower half of the system so the shadows and lighting look better.