Where can I find a good tutorial for a multi-floor rail elevator?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial on how to construct a multi-floor rail elevator, preferably with as simple a logic system behind it as possible.

Reaction score
    Oh :(

It helped me, sorry. try bench's tuts
    Some people are never happy....

Thanks, this helps me. Now I just need to find if we can make a more efficient airlock with the new logic blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The video was showing off an already built elevator. I'm looking for step-by-step-by-step instructions from the ground up that assumes the person watching has no understand of how either rails or logic actuality works.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Cornedo, if you fancy jumping on the NFD build server I will show you how step by step. I can't say I'm too good at making videos though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    For no logic system, do this. (Make sure all rails face the same direction, when I say pointing towards I'm referring to the direction the rail points)

For each floor make 3 groups of rail/activation blocks. In each group put 1 rail going up, 1 rail going down, and 1 rail going to either side(this will be to keep the elevator from moving once it reaches this block). One rail adjacent to one activation button. Press c on the rail and v on the button to link them. Make sure that each rail is associated with its appropriate direction.(>> for sideways, /\ for up, \/ for down)

Put a button at each floor, and connect this button to the buttons connected to the rails.

Place the rail that the elevator will go up and down, doesn't matter which way it starts off because the buttons will change them as needed.

For each floor set the sideways rail to the block you want the elevator to stop at, and the up and down rails for every other block to make the elevator go towards the floor you want.

For the car place a ship core and a rail docker and link it to the main elevator rail. Build your car as you wish from there.
    Put an activation button connected to wireless block for each floor you want the car to go to.
    Put a wireless block by the buttons at each floor, and connect the wireless blocks together and to the button for it at each floor.

And that's it. Very simple, no frills, elevator.

I attached a diagram of one floor; you can add more above/below. The placement in the picture is just for clarification of what is linked to what. If the elevator gets stuck make sure all the rails are linked.
    starmade_elevator_simple.png

I can make a step by step video if this isn't enough.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I'm going to ask this question here since it's somewhat related and I'd rather not make another thread.

I want to make a 3-floor elevator, but with 1 input button for the elevator itself that cycles between floor 1-2-3-2-1... with each button press as well as a callback function for each floor. I've got the circuits for each rail configuration for each possible outcome down, but I can't figure out how to implement the cycling function for the single button. The reason I'm going with a cycle for the elevator is that the elevator itself is very small and only has room for one button.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Could you squeeze an extra button in? Having one up and one down button might be easier when combined with a shift register

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I could but I'd rather not as it would compromise the seamless look of the lift.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    hmm, okay. You can incorporate a single button to cycle a shift register, im just trying to get my head around the potential issues that may arise from interrupting the cycle with the call buttons. Give me a sec to think and I'll get back to you. Or alternatively, you on the NFD Build server any time?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    hmm, okay. You can incorporate a single button to cycle a shift register, im just trying to get my head around the potential issues that may arise from interrupting the cycle with the call buttons. Give me a sec to think and I'll get back to you. Or alternatively, you on the NFD Build server any time?
    I don't play on servers (yet). There shouldn't be a problem with a call function except maybe on the middle floor. I think I have a general idea of how to check which floor it's on though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    If you were up for it, i'd say jump on and i'll work on it with you tonight, it'd be easier than trying to explain in text.

As for floor detection - First build a gate with two ORS and two NOTs, linked as OR -->Not -->OR -->NOT --> first OR and cycle the gate. This gate will take inputs into the OR and toggle on a high signal to a particular or only. Link an activator to the rail that the elevator will stop at to one of the ORs. Take an activator and slave it to the rails either side of the rail the elevator will stop at. Link these activator to the other OR block. Take the output of the NOT gate that is high when the elevator is at the floor and delay the signal by 1 second (2delays) and put into an AND. Take the same NOT and stick it into the same AND. This AND will only go high when the elevator stops at that floor. Passing through will not trigger the AND as the conditions for it to be high get reset too quickly.

I realise this probably doesnt make a huge amount of sense so I'll post some pictures when I get home later tonight. I'll also try work out the entire system when im on SM. Its not super easy to visualise :p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    So, I figured out a really neat way to make the cycle work. A button with a flipflop as a slave which has another flipflop as its slave. I should have just looked up shift register before like you mentioned and saved myself the time experimenting, but that's learning I guess! This will cycle those flipflops through low-low, high-high, low-high, high-low. From there it's just as simple as using AND gates to uniquely detect each state and send the output to the correct rail controller.

Thanks for the floor detection, I'll see if I can make that work with my ship. If I get around to it, I think I'll make a simple gif of the shift register + AND gates for the benefit of anyone else who's just starting out dabbling into logic like myself.

Reactions: iceman6491
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Nice :). If you run into any issues give me a shout, I like logic - it works by brain :)