Read by Schine Wheel Block

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Could also come up with a way to let us make our own wheels and label them as such for the AI so it knows they are. These same labels in general would tell the game that a particular craft has a wheel base instead of thrusters for movement. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think hover jets are the way forward. Basically, the hover system should allow a vehicle to move like the Player does in gravity, but faster and with a smaller jump height. You can always add something wheel-shaped and rotating to the side of the vehicle to create the illusion of working wheels if you want.

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Know what would be cool? If we could bind logic to keys to act as movement. That way, would could build things such as mechs (would probably need a ball joint block to be implemented) and tanks (if they added wheels and treads). Then again, we would also need bigger planets to increase the immersion. And if they added tanks, why not more ground combat features. Like plasma grenades. And how about hull breaching ships. Things that could drill through armor and raid enemy ships and-hmm. Maybe I should make another thread for all this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Know what would be cool? If we could bind logic to keys to act as movement. That way, would could build things such as mechs (would probably need a ball joint block to be implemented) and tanks (if they added wheels and treads). Then again, we would also need bigger planets to increase the immersion. And if they added tanks, why not more ground combat features. Like plasma grenades. And how about hull breaching ships. Things that could drill through armor and raid enemy ships and-hmm. Maybe I should make another thread for all this.
    I believe you can already tie a complex series of rail movements to a single logic circuit, then activate that circuit from a remote button when in Flight Mode with a single press. You could do this to begin a walking or rolling sequence no problem.

However, making wheels and legs work would require changes to the collision detection system to take into account friction between surfaces. Also, you'd have to consider in your design how your vehicle would balance and remain upright in gravity. Especially tricky for vehicles with legs! Not a bad idea, but would require more "ground-work" (pun intended) than simply making Planets big enough to make such vehicles worth-while.

Everything else you mentioned also sounds good but, yeah, is probably best discussed in other threads :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449930973,1449929268][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think hover jets are the way forward. Basically, the hover system should allow a vehicle to move like the Player does in gravity, but faster and with a smaller jump height. You can always add something wheel-shaped and rotating to the side of the vehicle to create the illusion of working wheels if you want.
    Actually, I'm amending my idea. Adding 1 hover block to your vehicle will allow it to hover at a default height, say 1 meter above ground. Your vehicle can then move in 2 dimensions like the Player does in gravity. However, unlike Player movement (which instantly reaches maximum speed), your vehicle will need to accelerate like a ship does. The max speed (just like the current Thruster speed limit) is a server default, say 25 m/s. The more hover blocks you have, the greater your rate of acceleration until you reach the max speed.
    In addition, you should be able to hold down the jump button and it will accelerate you upwards. The rate you ascend is also determined by the vehicles mass/hover ratio. Your ascent will continue until you either release the jump button or you reach the edge of the gravity field.

This would allow heavy vehicles such as Tanks to make small, slow "jumps" to clear awkward terrain, and lighter "flying" vehicles such as helicopter gunships to remain hovering at higher altitudes with relative ease.

The only problem I can see with this idea is: what happens if you put both Hover jets and Thrusters on your vehicle? How does the game know which type of drive should be used?

What does anyone think?

Reactions: Amadeus
    Reaction score
    I believe you can already tie a complex series of rail movements to a single logic circuit, then activate that circuit from a remote button when in Flight Mode with a single press. You could do this to begin a walking or rolling sequence no problem.

However, making wheels and legs work would require changes to the collision detection system to take into account friction between surfaces. Also, you'd have to consider in your design how your vehicle would balance and remain upright in gravity. Especially tricky for vehicles with legs! Not a bad idea, but would require more "ground-work" (pun intended) than simply making Planets big enough to make such vehicles worth-while.

Everything else you mentioned also sounds good but, yeah, is probably best discussed in other threads :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449930973,1449929268][/DOUBLEPOST]

Actually, I'm amending my idea. Adding 1 hover block to your vehicle will allow it to hover at a default height, say 1 meter above ground. Your vehicle can then move in 2 dimensions like the Player does in gravity. However, unlike Player movement (which instantly reaches maximum speed), your vehicle will need to accelerate like a ship does. The max speed (just like the current Thruster speed limit) is a server default, say 25 m/s. The more hover blocks you have, the greater your rate of acceleration until you reach the max speed.
    In addition, you should be able to hold down the jump button and it will accelerate you upwards. The rate you ascend is also determined by the vehicles mass/hover ratio. Your ascent will continue until you either release the jump button or you reach the edge of the gravity field.

This would allow heavy vehicles such as Tanks to make small, slow "jumps" to clear awkward terrain, and lighter "flying" vehicles such as helicopter gunships to remain hovering at higher altitudes with relative ease.

The only problem I can see with this idea is: what happens if you put both Hover jets and Thrusters on your vehicle? How does the game know which type of drive should be used?

What does anyone think?
    What if it worked kind of like the transition from the old docking system to the new one: thrusters and hover blocks can't exist on the same [non-docked] entity?

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What if it worked kind of like the transition from the old docking system to the new one: thrusters and hover blocks can't exist on the same [non-docked] entity?
    Not allowing both types of drive on the same structure would be a nice, simple fix, yeah.

However, you've made me think: Supposing I want to design a Shuttle/Fighter/Cargo Freighter which can handle both atmospheric and space flight with equal ease? Maybe hovering could be an "effect" you add to your existing thrusters which can be switched on and off with a control computer, just like the Overdrive effect on Engines?

This may cause space issues for very small ground vehicles, but would allow for some quite versatile ships to be built.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450023032,1450021487][/DOUBLEPOST]Or, maybe you could fit both types of drive to your vehicle, but the Hover engines automatically engage and override the Thrusters when you enter gravity/atmosphere without the need for a computer? Then they switch back again when you're back in space?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Maybe add some curved blocks we can use to build wheels? :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2

What does anyone think?
    I like everything you said up to holding space to go upwards, Instead why not implement a system where the craft automatically moves up terrain when it reaches within a 1 block radius of the front of the vehicle. This way a hover tank per say does not turn into a helicopter.

To combat the hover with thruster issue you brought up, just limit a hovercraft to only use hover blocks and not thrusters as well. This way the vehicle would have to rely on another ship with thrusters to transport it out of a planet/stations gravity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like everything you said up to holding space to go upwards, Instead why not implement a system where the craft automatically moves up terrain when it reaches within a 1 block radius of the front of the vehicle. This way a hover tank per say does not turn into a helicopter.
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. I think the vehicle should by default always be hovering 1 meter above the ground. So if you approach ground which is 1 meter higher than your present altitude, then your vehicle will automatically "bump-up" to the same height so you can move smoothly. However, if you approach ground which is 2 meters higher, you should need to increase the hover height. If the height is always automatically adjusted regardless of the steepness, then obstacles such as boulders, trees and mountains cease to be obstacles.
    A Tank only becomes a Helicopter when you remove enough armour (and other heavy bits) for it to be light enough to manoeuvre like one.

To combat the hover with thruster issue you brought up, just limit a hovercraft to only use hover blocks and not thrusters as well. This way the vehicle would have to rely on another ship with thrusters to transport it out of a planet/stations gravity.
    Amadeus already suggested that. It's a simple solution but I prefer having the option to swap between Hover drive and Thrusters. If you can't switch off your hover drive, how can you ever stop hovering? :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Not allowing both types of drive on the same structure would be a nice, simple fix, yeah.

However, you've made me think: Supposing I want to design a Shuttle/Fighter/Cargo Freighter which can handle both atmospheric and space flight with equal ease? Maybe hovering could be an "effect" you add to your existing thrusters which can be switched on and off with a control computer, just like the Overdrive effect on Engines?

This may cause space issues for very small ground vehicles, but would allow for some quite versatile ships to be built.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1450023032,1450021487][/DOUBLEPOST]Or, maybe you could fit both types of drive to your vehicle, but the Hover engines automatically engage and override the Thrusters when you enter gravity/atmosphere without the need for a computer? Then they switch back again when you're back in space?
    I like it being an effect, I think that would be the best solution out of all of these ideas. It could let us have one more offensive effect too- but that's beside the point.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    No :( How am I gonna build my space Ferrari?
    An option for how high you hover above the ground would be a neat little option for stuff like a space Ferrari... Otherwise how am I going to build a space Ferrari too?!?!