Whats the difference from "high res backgrounds" on/off?

Reaction score
    Anyway, so I was dicking around with the options and first time trying out the background at 4K (default 2k). It looks absolutely fucking beautiful as I was on a planet looking up at the stars at night.
    Im just wondering now if "high res backgrounds" being on do something? I enabled it just in case anyway.

And btw bloom should be ON by default and so should 4K background be it, the game looks much better and I don't see any difference in performance, the game still works great and I have 2gb of ram, q6600 and hd7850.

I hate telling to my non computer literate friends to change options so if these are on by default it would be good I think.

The rest is set to default in a way that looks good and its balanced peformance wise so dont need any changes unless you really want to.

What i've noticed that kills performance a lot is shadows, had to set it off.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    If you turn off procedural backgrounds then a static high res image takes its place. Turning off high res backgrounds will just leave a black sky. This is at least the way I understand it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If you have the vram, the performance hit isn't much.
    However, if you have 1gb vram, enable all the pretty settings and disable texture compression, your game will crash.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    on low end cards (such as my old gt 210) i got 5 fps with bloom on and 100-120 without it.