Whats the deal with asteroids not respawning?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I had a setup on my SP world, where all I would have to do is wait until a server save and press one button. Boom shit ton of mats already in my refinery. The old system where you could relocate and mine an asteroid many times was broken with how little "work" it would take.

These changes were made to remove multiple forms of "unlimited" resources. Like Aceface said, give them time to show you what they have planned.

All that said if you rely on mining asteroids for your income, you are missing out on quite a few other opportunities out there in the void.
    Realize, though, that I'm playing on a multiplayer server where the pirates aren't Isanths. Any other means of acquiring resources that I can think of depend on the ability of players to first create combat capable ships through non-combat means.

I'm also not buying the concept that the respawning asteroids equated to unlimited resources. You still had to go out and mine on a regular basis in order to stock material. That took time and work to achieve. Perhaps I'm not aware of some easy exploit for the system. I never much enjoyed that I had to halt a build because I was lacking materials, in order to find some particular rock or other to mine. At the same time, I appreciated that I wasn't simply playing in a creative mode game where everything was handed to me.

My previous point stands, though - it's fine if they decide to change or replace the system - just don't simply delete the system and leave us all hanging like they've done.

Last edited:

Noc

Reaction score
    Conceptually limited resources are cool, but they are too rare then. A good system needs to last long enough to justify setting up shop.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I hope schema gets asteriods back in soon, or once hes fixed the exploits

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    afaik asteroid respawn is intended just disabled for now for reasons of rebalancing stuff for moving asteroids into a mining containment and just haveing to press a button to start the mioning process of a respawned roid was considered exploit which they fought by not letting any roids respawn... that has to change again.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When faction points were introduced, schema and Calbiri hinted that a possible use for them was to respawn asteroids in your claimed system. Currently, the FP system seems completely neglected - just as NPCs and other "minor" things like putting shield rechargers on the Isanth Zero or upgrading the default stations with rail turrets instead of the old docking system that can't even be sold to shops any more.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I hope schema gets asteriods back in soon, or once hes fixed the exploits
    One simple fix would be to make it so asteroids completely mined don't respawned at all but generate new ones throughout the belts of the system after removing the old mined out ones from the database. :) That'd be a simple fix for now and the easiest to program.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    One simple fix would be to make it so asteroids completely mined don't respawned at all but generate new ones throughout the belts of the system after removing the old mined out ones from the database. :) That'd be a simple fix for now and the easiest to program.
    I presume this is probably how it will be implemented in the end.

In the past the flaw with respawning had to do with the fact that asteroids reverted to their shape and form as in the last previous autosave when their final block was mined. This meant that you had all kind of reasonably small half 'eaten' asteroids at some moment in time. Not a pretty sight and tedious to mine these, all the time becoming smaller, specs of raw material because of the game mechanic used. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I think it's better that the asteroids don't respawn. It teaches better resource management. Having the asteroids respawn encourages people to be lazy. If they don't respawn, you have to consider more carefully when to expand, and it gives extra emphasis on exploration.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I partly agree with you, if you talk about single player survival style of game play. It will certainly be a boost for exploration, although when fauna is introduced that will be a big incentive for exploration as well.

In a multi-player game where one should consider the influx of new players and the fact the initial spawn location is fixed, the need to travel large distances in a ship build with the start set of resources will proof sheer impossible after the server is in use for some period of time and all asteroids in the start vicinity are mined and gone.

Also there's respawning and respawning, no if one suggests a return in the same location and of the same type and size, yes if a form of a certain number of asteroids in a given sector is maintained, although type, size and location will differ all the time.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You cant have a set finite amount of resources on a multiplayer server can you? Because that means it will die..... new players dont want to have to travel across whole galaxies to find the scarps

Reaction score
    I have a problem with asteroids not respawning. When they don't respawn yes it forces people to go explore and be "nomadic" but yet the game seems to be focused on building stations as you can't refine mined materials on ships. The two concepts are leading in opposite directions of game play. With the current mechanics it makes more sense to have them respawn.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    In a multi-player game where one should consider the influx of new players and the fact the initial spawn location is fixed, the need to travel large distances in a ship build with the start set of resources will proof sheer impossible after the server is in use for some period of time and all asteroids in the start vicinity are mined and gone.

Also there's respawning and respawning, no if one suggests a return in the same location and of the same type and size, yes if a form of a certain number of asteroids in a given sector is maintained, although type, size and location will differ all the time.

Greets,

Jan
    The multiplayer aspect of your argument can be addressed by giving server admins more tools. The ability to spawn asteroids would allow admin to restock 000 space. The ability to lock out older players from 000 space would prevent asteroid abuse by inordinantly large salvage ships.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1442238529,1442238216][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I have a problem with asteroids not respawning. When they don't respawn yes it forces people to go explore and be "nomadic" but yet the game seems to be focused on building stations as you can't refine mined materials on ships. The two concepts are leading in opposite directions of game play. With the current mechanics it makes more sense to have them respawn.
    Obviously one would want to make 000 space workable for new players. But I think that the devs should move towards a more mobile and nomadic game instead of promoting a static one. Certainly both styles of play should be viable.

If asteroids are to respawn outside of 000, there should be a logical reason: a comet colliding with something, a planet breaking up, just not... wait for it... POP *salvager slurping noise*

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The multiplayer aspect of your argument can be addressed by giving server admins more tools. The ability to spawn asteroids would allow admin to restock 000 space. The ability to lock out older players from 000 space would prevent asteroid abuse by inordinantly large salvage ships.
    Well, the multiplayer aspect I mentioned was more or less hypothetical for me since I mostly do single player survival. ;)

In my vision there should be a setting in the game options menu if one wants respawning or not. I don't know how the number of asteroids in a sector is determined currently, but it would be quite easy to have a average number per sector and a variance. As long as this number minus the variance exists no spawning takes place, but if the result drops under this threshold respawning takes place with a random interval in a random location, size and type. The interval will be longer and longer when the average number of a sector comes closer and passes it until the upper variance is reached. And with interval I rather mean days to weeks, then minutes to hours. <g>
    If asteroids are to respawn outside of 000, there should be a logical reason: a comet colliding with something, a planet breaking up, just not... wait for it... POP *salvager slurping noise*
    This certainly would cater for interesting fireworks on a galactic scale, but realistic speaking most of the time you won't be there to see it. If you would have a front row seat you'd probably not survive the event. It's a nice idea though. :D

Greets,

Jan

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    True, most events would go unnoticed, however, I think they could add in a thing (sensors, telescope, etc), which could inform us of such largescale happenings. It's give us a system or even a sector to go and investigate. It would be a lot better than asteroids magically appearing out of no where.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've said it before. Respawning asteroids was not a bug. It was intended, but not complete as a feature. They removed it because it was exploitable, but it was not a bug. There will be renewable resources of some kind, that much has been certain for a long time. What form they will take is an unknown.

I just hope it happens soon, as was mentioned in this thread already, basing a galactic economy on mining and then removing the source is counter productive. Damaging even, to regular play on populated servers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be great if you had a server option to allow/disallow respawn once they work around that exploit.

I can see some issues with a no respawn's forcing a more nomadic game play. As you do that on a multiplayer server people will spread out even more and be less likely to run into each other. Planet mining is encouraged to get resources. On the other hand there will be fighting over the remaining resources in a galaxy at some point or they could just shift galaxies.

Reaction score
    I've said it before. Respawning asteroids was not a bug. It was intended, but not complete as a feature. They removed it because it was exploitable, but it was not a bug. There will be renewable resources of some kind, that much has been certain for a long time. What form they will take is an unknown.

I just hope it happens soon, as was mentioned in this thread already, basing a galactic economy on mining and then removing the source is counter productive. Damaging even, to regular play on populated servers.
    Market economy by its very definition is based on scarcity of resources. Unlimited resources are great for a gift economy, or creative mode.
    For all it is worth, resources in SM are still unlimited even if asteroids (or planets) don't respawn - just move to the next system, or galaxy if you can't find what you want. Or possibly, fight smaller battles with smaller ships instead of every player having their private titan fleet.

Reaction score
    Market economy by its very definition is based on scarcity of resources. Unlimited resources are great for a gift economy, or creative mode.
    For all it is worth, resources in SM are still unlimited even if asteroids (or planets) don't respawn - just move to the next system, or galaxy if you can't find what you want. Or possibly, fight smaller battles with smaller ships instead of every player having their private titan fleet.
    Respawning asteroids does not equal unlimited resources. You still have to invest time to mine them, and since the respawn is probably gonna take some time, there is only so much resources a system can generate. If you want more, you'd have to expand (costing you resources in the process) or trade. It's not the same as creative mode.

I would think it would be cool if not every system has the same chance of spawning asteroids of a certain type. So have a certain system spawn a lot of the green asteroids (no idea what the name is on those minerals), but rarely if ever red ones. 10 systems down south, it's the other way round. I believe it would encourage player interaction to a great deal.

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    if you rely on mining asteroids for your income, you are missing out on quite a few other opportunities out there in the void.
    Such as farming rats, salvaging stations, trading between shops, and..... ?
    Those three.
    There is no other "opportunity" for income "in the void" of starmade at this time.

Trading is tedious and barely profitable. Salvaging stations is as un-sustainable and unreliable as mining now is. Farming rats is pretty much the only practical form of income at this point. Refinery-factory rigs and mining ships are now essentially obsolete garbage that only noobs are going waste time on and then only until they find out that mining is 1) unsustainable and 2) unlikely to yield anything near the appropriate kinds of resources they need to build ships. Then they'll switch to mining pirate stations like everyone else.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    From the 0.19476 patchnotes

Asteroid replenish server option
    There is now an option to periodically let the server replenish asteroids in the server cfg. To trigger, a sector will have to be unloaded and completely empty. If the time of the time it last replenish is beyond the waiting period set in the config, the sector will regenerate. This will help bridge the time until a better system takes its place.