What's the best way to learn this game?

Reaction score
    Hi guys, new here.

Just starting out on this game, I realise it's in alpha and all, so learning material is a bit spread out and sparse in some cases.

In your opinion, what's the best way to learn the game?

Going through the video tutorials one at a time, using the wiki and community YT vids to fill in any gaps?

Perhaps joining a server and learning from the community?

Would love to hear how you all learned to play and how you think a newbie should tackle it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A little bit of everything. If I had to start over, I'd say watch some videos explaining how the power system works, as that is the back bone of everything. Alternatively, we have several people that stream regularly that are more than happy to help. A couple that come to mind are GamingWithSaber who typically streams Mon/Wed/Fri, and EFSFRaiben who streams almost over weekday. After that, watching videos on how weapons and salvaging works should get you pretty well started building. In creative mode at least. I don't play survival enough to comment about learning that.

Reactions: arouq
    Reaction score
    Hi guys, new here.

Just starting out on this game, I realise it's in alpha and all, so learning material is a bit spread out and sparse in some cases.

Going through the video tutorials one at a time, using the wiki and community YT vids to fill in any gaps?

Would love to hear how you all learned to play and how you think a newbie should tackle it.
    Your fastest and best bet is to join a server. Join a server and ask some questions, but most importantly just try new ways of building until you get the best outcome.

Reaction score
    I found youtube videos to be invaluable. The ones made by Bench are probably the best available.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score

All of the above, so you are off to a good start. I have a tutorial ship on the dock but it may be wonky.

I would encourage you to play a bit of single player first. Avoid pirates until you have mined some wealth and made a decent ship. I advise trading in some of your starting materials to make a perma-cloaked stealth ship to explore. Find an abandoned station some distance from pirate bases. Mine and build some defense turrets on the base. Build a series of smaller ships to learn before attempting big ships. Don't navigate through a star and don't get too close to the sun.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yeah, Bench's videos are a gold mine for learning the logic and Rails systems.

On the subject of stellar exploration, be careful in systems that on the map have a bigger sun icon or even 2 sun icons. The larger icons indicate a giant star, which can hurt/kill you and melt your ship from further away than a regular sun. 2 sun icons on a system, while rare, mark a binary system, with each star having its own kill-you radius. The big black doom-looking balls on the map are black holes. The game currently uses them for wormholes, but if you're not in your ship when you touch one, instant death. Oh, and like real black holes, they have powerful gravity, so be careful flying anywhere near their system as they could pull you in.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    The official livestream airs 4pm EST on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You are free to drop by here and ask Saber or I any questions you might have.

Reactions: arouq and nightrune
    Reaction score
    Self experience, youtube videos and servers. Be careful as servers usually got custom and strong pirates, it might be a bit hard first. Playing solo is safier but more boring.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Self experience, youtube videos and servers. Be careful as servers usually got custom and strong pirates, it might be a bit hard first. Playing solo is safier but more boring.
    Even really strong pirates can be safely handled if you start out with a permacloak miner. It is quite feasible to have even a much larger permacloak miner than the tiny one you might build at the start. At one point for instance I had a permacloak miner with a deep, 12x12 salvage/cannon waffle. That can easily harvest sufficient materials with which to build a fighting ship that can duke it out with even tough public server pirates.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If something doesn't work as it should, it might be bugged. Check the bug tracker to find out if it's a known bug.

The official livestream airs 4pm EST on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You are free to drop by here and ask Saber or I any questions you might have.
    What's that in UTC? Not everyone lives in the US. ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    EST is GMT/UTC - 5; UTC - 4 when under Daylight Savings Time (during which EST is officially referred to as EDT).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    EST is GMT/UTC - 5; UTC - 4 when under Daylight Savings Time (during which EST is officially referred to as EDT).
    Thank you. But now I'm confused. Is it UTC -5 or UTC -4? We have Daylight Savings Time right now, but Criss wrote EST.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yeah, that's why I put "officially." Official sources, such as any .gov site, would use EDT to refer to EST under DST, but the average person still refers to it as EST.

Currently, we are UTC - 4.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    if you want to break into online servers,find a friendly faction to join and learn from them.There is strength in #'s.