What's next? 0.9/0.85 spec general.

Reaction score
    So, with the cool (really, really cool) universe with plenty of variety and potential just out there waiting to be fought over and built on, (and then sat on, yeah sitting!) it's nice to just take a break and see what wonderful additions could be added next. So we can fight over it for the right to build on it, and sit down on it...

With the way this game is progressing it's inevitable we will get something big added again by early/mid 2015, maybe even some foundation laid down as early as crimbo. Sounds like a bit of a stretch right? Not so. I was expecting the universe update early 2015 and here we are. Scemax is a lean, mean one-cat coding machine and I think it's safe to say that the game is progressing at a rate even AAA games can't catch up to. I don't want to rush the guys, just like to point out the good stuff. Anyway...

So far? I think first implementing the new ships and stations is obvious. But I think some foundation to the AI will be added. Pathing and commands will be improved upon, those spider...thingies...in the stations will be added gradually to planets. The we might (MIGHT) see NPC pirates pop in and out occasionally. Generally, I think either squad commands or AI will be the 'next big addition'. I wonder if the AI will get to use chairs? We will only have to wait and see.

What do you think? What's next?

Old thread subject is old I know, but it's fun to speculate. And don't tell me to just enjoy it. I am, I just want to hear what you think is next.

Reactions: Mariux

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I think in terms of fluff, we could see the implementation of the customizable effects system that was teased at a while ago. It'd be a pretty awesome addition for how little it actually adds content-wise.

As for the big stuff? Well, the map is set so it's my personal opinion that updating the NPC factions and mobs within it (along with the AI within them) to fill the newly expanded void with life is the logical next step. Give the game more feedback on the player's actions and even a little push on the players independent of their actions.

We'll see.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    The universe is coming along nicely, but there is still a ton of stuff that could be added and exploited such as nebula or dense asteroid fields where you could hide a base, gas giants, etc.

We really need a compelling reason to explore deep space, I am anxiously awaiting the AI critters for my intergalactic zoo. Also planets with vicious creatures to eradicate (or stealthily place on enemy planets).

How about EXPLOSIONS! It would be awesome for a large missile impact to send out a blinding flash and particles being blown all over the place!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think first we're going to see more Faction, AI/fleet control, and more importantly Quests implemented. That's something the game is sorely lacking in right now. Schema really wasn't exaggerating when he said as the foundation is built, updates will come in faster. The waiting from past update phases really was worth it in the long run.

I think after that we'll see some more variety added to the galaxy like creatures, better planet generation, and possibly some different types of planets like gas giants and water worlds with their own individual benefits. I hope we get another dev Q&A sometime. I'd like to hear the team's plans on their future plans.

Reaction score
    I'd like to see something done with cargo space. ( Storage enhancers make storing more in storage possible with storage being reduced by default. This makes cargo ships a thing. ) and AI traders shifting resources around in shops ( including player owned shops. )

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I only want to see bug fixes. There are lots of bugs old and new that are getting really annoying. It would be nice to see a big chunk of them taken out.

Reaction score
    I hope that the AI functionality of the bobby gets better !!! It would be great to be able to make a cargo ship with Bobby AI guided cargo pods for docking and undocking of the cargo pods at a base or to have the pods land at a planet side or station side docking area.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    By 0.75 I'm sure the majority of planned features will already be in place along with the requests like modding, music, so on. In the 0.8 and 0.9 series it'll be optimizations and those nagging little bugs that only seem to affect specific hardware configs. During that time we might see new standards adopted by Oracle, Intel and the GPU makers which will get supported ASAP. Even though I can personally play the game with vsync; We're likely to see a transition to something less clunky like MANTLE and/or G-Sync. So in most cases we'll be looking at a small performance hike for all upper level GPUs (read: not Intel).

By 1.0 Star-Made should be a fully functional OS that should quickly replace all things Apple, Google and Microsoft.
    And I for one welcome our Schine overlords. -INDOCTRINAAAAATE-

Reaction score
    Would be tight if the rumored HP system made it's way there or some better effects and ambiance.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm mostly looking forward to AI overhaul. It would be really, really awesome to have auto-docking fighters and being able to command a fleet. Cargo stuff could be interesting too.

Also, 500th post.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ithirahad

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Shipyards, I want to see shipyards even more than AI fleet controls because of how badly they are needed with the new economy.

Reactions: Mariux and marcus87
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I look forward to a game where ships that aren't designed just to destroy other ships are useful, such as freighters, science vessels, survey ships, passenger transports, etc. This will only happen once the game gets missions and more noncombat NPC's. We really need a REASON for these ships. Since we can now hold a million tons of solid rock in a tiny fighter, there is no REASON for them.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I look forward to a game where ships that aren't designed just to destroy other ships are useful, such as freighters, science vessels, survey ships, passenger transports, etc. This will only happen once the game gets missions and more noncombat NPC's. We really need a REASON for these ships. Since we can now hold a million tons of solid rock in a tiny fighter, there is no REASON for them.
    Technically there is: if you want to transport absurdly high amounts of items.

Reaction score
    This by an order of magnitude, I appreciate that the game has a focus on combat but it'd be nice to focus on diversity in gameplay.

Technically there is: if you want to transport absurdly high amounts of items.
    Not really. Your average fighter, when filled with some storage blocks, can do just that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Shipyards, for spaceships... And perhaps some sheepyards for... spacesheeps?

In all seriousness, the main things I want to see are:
    -Shipyards
    -Command chairs
    -Planet atmosphere fixes