What's a good way to make thirteen billion credits?

Reaction score
    I'm pretty new to this game (purchased it on the 25th on Steam to help support its development). After a lot of bad starts due to pirates showing up the moment I put down ship core I'm finally moving forward. Just yesterday I found my first derelict station....

I remember reading that I can have the thing repaired, and I want to use it as my very first starbase. The problem is that the thing requires over thirteen billion credits for repairs. I'm not sure I want to claim it with a faction module before repairing it, but the temptation is there...

So now I gotta ask... what's a good way to make that amount of cash?

As for the station... well...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    mine/commands/salvage other stations for loots. should really make your own station.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Command: give_credits
    Example:/give_credits Schema 13000000000
    Parameters: PlayerName(String), Count(Integer)
    Description: Gives player credits.

Just replace Schema with your name and paste in chat ^_^
    Unless you have changed some values in the server settings there is very little chance you could ever make that much using stores

Reaction score
    I guess you're correct, both of you. I really should make my own station. However, I've found the Youtube tutorials confusing (a lot of them are done from the viewpoint of a veteran rather than that of a totally new player), so I guess I'll just do this blind...

Reaction score
    You do not need to repair the station to use it. There's no point. Worst that can happen is you lose a couple of factories if you place them. Use derelicts as temporary bases. Move to a planet and give the planet homebase protection. Then you don't even lose the factories you place. (Not that they're that expensive, but placing 1000 enhancers on a derelict is a bad idea)

Reaction score
    Get the Blueprint of that station. community content. or whatever means you can think of. then fill it up and spawn it.

Reaction score
    You could purchase it after you've salvaged it down to one block, and then build your own station upon that as a foundation. Should be cheaper than a new station (depending on your server's settings of course), and you'll get tons of crystal and mesh in the process that you can sell or use.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    When your ready, giving multiplayer a go is definitely worth it!
    I personally love teaching new players what I know and building ships/stations together. If your keen, Im more than happy to work with you ^_^
    That being said, nearly every time I log on I learn something new despite having played SM for about 3-4 years

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I thought Dave's limit on any inventory item, including credits, is 2.1 Billion. (A hard limit imposed by Java.)

To answer the original question, you would want to destroy or scrap-mine most of the station. At it becomes less massive, the price drops. You can rebuild later.

Reaction score
    So I can only hold 2 billion? I guess I will be building my own station then (gonna make a new savefile anyway). So any recommendations on what tutorials I should be looking at? Or do I just make a space saucer with landing pads? Or that one gigantic space station from the anime "Space Dandy"? :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    As pretty as that station is, I found its interior to be a confusing mess. Although attractive, I doubt it has much practical space to work with. You would be modifying it heavily in order to make it functional, which is where you end up better off just starting from scratch.