What will the upcoming particle system be used for?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I had heard about a particle system of some sort being added to the game in the future;
    What exactly would this be used for, and could we use it to add special effects to our ships/stations?

schema Calbiri

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: TheBlueThunder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sounds interesting. Although could you refer to where you heard this? If you remember ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    it was in the last several q&a livestreams with mushroomfleet and schema i believe

Reaction score
    Particles can be used for explosions, engine jet streams, sparks, steam, fire, …
    Yes, special effects for your builds should be at least theoretically possible.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I think it will only be for functional blocks and weapon effects like der_scheme mentioned. I'm sure you could use it to your advantage to add some decoration to your ship, putting thrusters down so their sparks come out of a "vent". Exposing power blocks in a reactor to get those nice spark effects. This is all speculation though, I have no idea what effects will be added.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm still hoping for engine trails.
    Or an option so you could trigger lights source blocks (lights, crystals, and so on) to leave a trail. Would look epic IMO :)

Reactions: TheBlueThunder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    some far off and random idea i had for particles: Have it so when ship components such as power or shield blocks get damaged or destroyed they start to leave a trail of plasma or something, as if the ship is bleeding. Damaged ships would be more obvious to see and look much more epic in battles

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think that we should be able to add them to our ships ourselves. However, the total quatity/size of the effect that we are allocated should be directly proportional to the size of the system it's being added to. This basically means that a mini-ship couldn't completely blind everyone with a gigantic blast.