What is your PRIMARY building focus in starmade?

What is your PRIMARY building focus in starmade?

• Aesthetics; I'm an artist. It's all about the style. Combat is secondary.

Votes: 3 16.7%
    • Pure combat; I want to crush anyone who gets in my way!

Votes: 2 11.1%
    • Capitals; I want to be the biggest baddest mo'fo in space. Give me your lunch money!

Votes: 1 5.6%
    • Small ships; Speed, skill and manuverability. Death by a thousand cuts...

• Exotic; What the hell was THAT thing? O_o

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Bases; Cities, stations and planets. All your base are belong to us...

• Utility; I like to mine, maufacture, and grind away at this game.

• Technical; Rails and logic ciruits. I will break the game with my complex contraptions.

• Experimental; I design and build outside the box. WAY outside the box...

• Roll play; As a Jedi, StarFleet Officer, ODST, etc; my first duty is to the plot.

Votes: 2 11.1%
    • Other; please explain.

• Total voters

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Hi everyone,

I've recently gotten back into StarMade and joined a multi-player server. I've always been curious about who/what I might encounter with regard to other players, ships, and factions. This is a poll to see what kind of builders we have in StarMade. For the poll, you can select one option. However, if you feel that one choice does not adequately describe your play/build style, then by all means, please share your story with us.

I'll begin.

I voted for all your base. It doesn't matter if it's on a planet, a space station, capital ship or the Death Star. I like to build and maintain a large city-like structure with immersive environments that can hold all my creations and allow other players to visit and interact. Accommodations are typically made for spacecraft of any size and I tend to maintain public docking, refinery, manufacturing, repair and medical facilities for visiting players. I usually start off on a planet collect as many resources as I can, then construct a large mobile station that can move to another location and dock to what I call an "anchor station", providing station specific capabilities (shipyard, factories, etc) and faction home base protection while maintaining mobility.

Once my base is established, the real fun begins...

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You can have best looking ship in the world
    But you can't have both beatufil and great in utility

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    You can have best looking ship in the world
    But you can't have both beatufil and great in utility
    Why not? An empty shell can be filled with optimal systems. The shape of the ship won't influence much besides armor (with cubes being the worst since they have 0 armor slopping). The idea that a ship can't be made to look good and be effective in combat is deprecated since the addition of the HP system to the game. At equal block count/mass, optimal combat ships will be roughly the same even if one is pretty and the other is not. The only exception is salvagers since they need a wide surface at the front for the salvage array.

Seriously, the "it's a combat ship" excuse to poor aesthetics is just bad. If individuals don't have the knowledge or artistic skill to make pretty ships, which is perfectly normal (not everyone is an artist), then they should just say so instead of making up excuses.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm a little bit of a lot of things.

I'm a computer scientist, so I like my technical stuff and my functional ships. Respect the highly engineered noob cube: just because it's ugly as fuck doesn't mean it can't put a 31 diameter hole in your hull with one shot. I really like some of the cool stuff people have built with rails and logic - like transforming ships and mechs - but I don't really have the drive to put one together. For now, I'm more interested in smaller stuff, like the theory behind chain drives. I do technical stuff for a living; sometimes you just want to hang back and build cool spaceships rather than debugging the pinky finger on your 2000 logic block mech hand, you know?

The thing I really like about Starmade is that everyone loves a cool spaceship. The community is very encouraging and is always around to provide constructive criticism, which I think is really cool. I'm not really an artist, but I've been trying to learn some things and build cool looking stuff (even though some of it would work better if I made it uglier). So far the only thing I've made that I really like is this jump ship. I've "finished" a few other things, but they don't really look good enough or function well enough to put on the dock, so I either scrapped them or got halfway through building a different version.

Right now the two most interesting things I'm working on are a 300m defensive ship and a ~200m pirate hunter, both of which have lots of disconnected parts. I kinda figured, "why build a normal spaceship when I can build a weird spaceship?" Probably not a good way to learn how to art, but whatever. Go big or go home.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Why not? An empty shell can be filled with optimal systems. The shape of the ship won't influence much besides armor (with cubes being the worst since they have 0 armor slopping). The idea that a ship can't be made to look good and be effective in combat is deprecated since the addition of the HP system to the game. At equal block count/mass, optimal combat ships will be roughly the same even if one is pretty and the other is not. The only exception is salvagers since they need a wide surface at the front for the salvage array.

Seriously, the "it's a combat ship" excuse to poor aesthetics is just bad. If individuals don't have the knowledge or artistic skill to make pretty ships, which is perfectly normal (not everyone is an artist), then they should just say so instead of making up excuses.
    I'd have to agree with this.

Some of the most attractive/elaborate looking ships I've ever seen tend to have a lot of firepower. Looks aren't everything but you don't have to build a "death brick" to win a fight. That's just lazy building.

My "sub-capital" was originally built as to serve as an attractive mobile base. However, it has 3 different weapon systems; each of which can destroy a planet. If I filled up the RP living spaces and fighter bays with shields and power grid, I imagine it would be a formidable PVP ship.

Reactions: Agame3

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah I'm an All of the Above builder at this point, but I am for good looking/practical/RP most of the time.

Reaction score
    Other: I have so far built a few good-sized ships, and I started with the hull, packing the interior to the best of my abilities with sheer combat power. That said... I have a Republic Frigate that's a mix - it has small interior spaces (like the movies, except theirs is WAY bigger inside, by the diagrams I've found, than it is on the outside lol; Clone Wars is also bad with that) for RP functions but it's also combat-effective. Pirates stand no chance, but as it is built as a slash-run ship with light armor and weapons, but decent shielding, I think, PvP will be interesting if I ever take it into battle.