What is there to do?

Reaction score
    I just picked this game up the other day. I've played for a few hours, and I'm not sure what there is to do beyond ship building. I was hoping for some progression system. something like in many games: copper to iron to gold.

It seems like you just go to the nearest space station. take all the glass. go sell it at the nearest shop. profit.

I can now build a huge ship, but to what ends? I feel like this game is not ready for me to play it yet.

p.s. I hate the planets.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    We do have the space station competition.
    You can always PvE in w/e big ship you build. Pirates are out there just gotta go looking for 'em.
    There's PvP servers too but you might want to choose from ships they have uploaded already.
    Several factions have collaborative build spaces on servers. You can help build something truly epic.
    You can always check the official bug list and test or submit bugs you find. Always double check that the bug isn't already listed!
    Or you can hang out in the chat-rooms and forum with us.
    yesss 0_0 join usss
    p.s. the new planets have no love for you either. X3~

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    its true, there isnt much to do yet beyond ship/station/base building, and fighting pirates or other players in PVP on a server. but keep in mind the game is still in heavy alpha and there are many many features yet to come. think of what minecraft was in alpha as compared to now. well starmade already has a ton more features in alpha then minecraft did. so give the game a bit more time and its guna go from amazing to epic. i personally think that once it gets some more features its going to leave minecraft in the dust.

and yes i agree, i would love to start off on a planet and have to slowly work my way up to building my first ship to be able to leave the planet and start exploring the rest of the universe, instead of the current method where you start at a shop and just go sell glass. but im sure thats coming. probably some time after the new crafting system and mobs get implemented. as far as i know if you started on a planet now you wouldn't really be able to build a proper ship to leave it yet (i could be wrong about this tho as im still fairly newbie to the game my self).

but basically, give the game sometime, it is a bit limited in what you can do at the moment but that will soon change. and when it does, all will know the name, Starmade :)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    if you started on a planet now you wouldn't really be able to build a proper ship to leave it yet
    Due to gravity and position-blocking you can hardly build a 5 block ship on a planet without permanently exiting and entering flight mode.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I theory you could start on a planet as long as you could build a scaffold to produce your first ship. I might stream an attempt later.

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    hm, you mean like, you wouldn't be able to add anything to the bottom of the ship core cuz its stuck to the planet? i didnt think about that, but makes sense.

but then again it would also add another opportunity to add more game mechanics. like maybe you have to make an anti gravity block or something first and when you place a ship core on it it would make it float say ten blocks above it or so, and you have to build scaffolding around it to reach the core and finally build your ship. im of the idea that the harder it is to make your first ship, the more rewarding it will be to complete. then once you can get to the relative easy building environment of space, you can really let your creativity fly, but youd have to deal with a whole new set of problems. (like pirates)

the more i think about this, the more i like it :p

Edit: ninjaed by warsong

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Lol not intentionally, starmate OdraNoel. Apologies. :3
    BUT I did start a suggestion. Please contribute if you see something lacking or want to add to the OP of the suggestion.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/two-suggestions-to-allow-planetside-ship-building.2197/

But back on topic.
    The game is still in alpha state. There is SO much to be done yet. Test the game out. Think up stuff that would make it better. Check the forum and see if someone had a similar idea. Make a thread if it doesn't exist yet or if the thread you find is over a month old try making a new thread and link to the old one with your ideas listed in the new thread's OP.
    Welcome to StarMade.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Topic creator is right. Starmade lacks progression system. That's huge con.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    They still are trying to balance things. These is my attempts at trying to balance the game and make it progressive at the same time:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/an-attempt-to-balance-the-salvage-cannon-combination.2566/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/suggestions-for-improvements-to-the-crafting-system.2496/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/crafting-only-gamemode-and-more.2335/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/make-ingots-useful.2412/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/better-shops-mining-salvaging-and-factories.1759/

Look around by the suggestions and you'll find a lot more good suggestions to improve gameplay. All I can really say is that this game needs a lot, and I mean a lot, of balancing by the economy/crafting system and that every bit helps, so get out there and post some suggestions (in the suggestion forum of course).

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can use gravity to through yourself off a planet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok. About the ship building on planet/how to escape the planet.
    Cores have reduced thrust now, so they can't lift off planets safely with collision damage on.
    The bug prevents you from building ships from scratch on planets
    You can't always make docking modules.
    You can't always make gravity modules.
    Building really far out doesn't get rid of the gravity.
    Even if the bug gets fixed, if you can't make thrusters, you're not going anywhere anytime soon if the core can't lift off the planet.

What I'm trying to say, if you crash on a planet there is a big chance you will never leave it.

My suggestion to solve all this was to increase the thrust of the core so you could lift any planet that has resources. You still can't crash on asteroids though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be ncie if cores would be able to craft from minerals foundable on planets :P
    So we could make from 0 survival :D

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    i did a series of twitch videos where i had nothing except the tool guns and a helmet and managed to get off the planet and became financially stable enough to solo pirate wings. no cash to start, no starter blocks. 8 hours in and I was back in a frigate sized ship. and I took it all slow and easy. That could probably be compressed down to two hours.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    There are many ways to get off a planet. Be creative:
    Push pulses, thrusters, push modules, gravity, space elevator, etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The problem is that those use a lot of specific resources. Everything that isn't resource specific is easy to craft anywhere, but as soon as you need specific resources, if you haven't got the one (they're always in pairs), you're not going anywhere.

I'm planning on making the thrusters non resource specific by using the same amount of resources for the resource specific in the form of metal meshes/grills and crystal circuits/charged crystal circuits.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Every server can change what's needed to do build whichever block. If you want thrusters to be easier to make than grey hull it just takes fiddling with the XML to either make grey hull harder to make or thrusters easier to produce.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know. Just one quick question: can you use notepad? The default xml editor on my computer is rubbish (it lets my edit, but than it smacks me in the face by not saving anything, I'll need to figure that out).