What Happened?

Reaction score
    After this latest update I tried to fly out and explore but when I got about 50km out I ran out of power. My ship has 4.8 million regen and 1.7 million power. It's only 160 blocks long, 65 wide. I was not using weapons or overdrive so what the hell is going on. Glad I didn't run into any enemies I would have been toast. Can someone please explain why my ship is now impossible to use.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What did you do with your ship? cloak? jam? jump?

I can't see a reason why it should run out of power not instantly or never (from what you tell us)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Maybe the thrusters use a teeny tiny bit of power more than the generators can provide? unlikely but possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why would someone have less power than their actual regen? That makes no sense to me. Anyways, nothing should have changed. The only thing that did change was overdrive, but since you weren't using that, I'll have to say something went horribly wrong.

Reaction score
    Did you make the ship before or after the shield updates/changes? Did you use Shields as a filler block like most people did?

It might be the shields see. They drain power like no other and now actually consume it. Now the go-to filler block is battery block.

What's your power consumption.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Yeah, what @ToyotaSupra said, shields will now take a nominal amount of power to maintain and a very large amount of power to recharge. If you've got a lot of shield regen blocks and take any amount of damage to your shields, you might see a spike in power usage, but not something that is constant.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    That shouldn't matter. The previous shield blocks changed to the shield capacitors, and those don't drain energy.

Reaction score
    The ship was built prior to the shield updates and yes i used them for filler.

I did a test: core + 6 power reactors + 4 thrusters. Same problem after flying bout 50 km ran out of power and was unable to achieve any more than 8 on the speed indicator.
    Restarted SM and still have same problem. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks for the reply's

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Shields - Shields are now divided into two blocks, to allow for better balancing. There is now the shield-capacity and the shield-recharge blocks. Current shield blocks on ships will be replaced with shield capacity, so it's advisable to use the new build tools to replace some of them with recharge blocks. Shield Recharge doesn't have a texture yet, but that will be updated in a few days.
    It shouldn't matter. Have you tried just using 1 core, 1 power reactor and 1 thruster? It sounds like a bug to me though, if you encounter it again, you might want to think about reporting it. That is, if the thrust drain isn't bigger than your recharge.

Reaction score
    Next chance i get will try 1 core, 1 power reactor & 1 thruster and then post again.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I heard someone say that power regen had been changed. I haven't had the chance to chek it out yet, though. So the claim might not be true.