What game do you want this game to become?

Reaction score
    We all have our favourite games, and when we finish a game that we like, we looks for similarities in the next one. This is a fact, it's why we have tastes.

Anyway, if could steer this game into a direction of similarity to a game (in mechanics, in environment, in art, whatever) which game(s) would it/they be? I'm not saying EXACTLY the same, just similarities or mechanics you liked.

For instance, I want this game to go with the direction of Starbound in terms of decorative blocks and exploration, for the exploring all planets had unique ground weather and environment. The animals were procedural as well with different attacks and styling (planned for this game).

Decorating was fun as well, I'm not asking for throw cushions or being able to buy a 'Colin and Justin block' to snazz up the place, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy turning my plain spaceship into a beautiful Glitch (medieval style) castle, with beds and CHAIRS and banners and such. Right now, ships are just empty and cold shells strictly for battle only. Battling in this game is only fun for so long IMO...

What about you Starmates? What game would you steer towards?

Reaction score
    EVE online with blocks of course. but yea. i guess starmade will never reach the popularity of it (or even half of it.) maybe not mmorpg but yea...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    EVE mechanics, but in a starbound world. I want fleet battles to be a legitimate thing but its only really just now picking up pace. People still don't really bother with logistics and Ewar mechanics might help with ship roles. I'm hoping the inclusion of more useful modules will help push decision making when ship building. I want to have reason to explore though and the universe update should cover a lot of that. Considering the potential the game has and schemas willingness to implement player requested features I have no doubt it will eventually happen. The fact that I can build everything from shuttles to gates is amazing to me, its something I want to do in any space sim, but I cant, and in this game I can do it from the view of some tiny dave. Its great really and I'm just looking forward to what I can create.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    IMO I think I'd love Starmade to be like Starmade because Starmade is awesome
    and, as Starmade has a lot of update it won't stop being better and if Starmade is like Starmade it's also going to be better ! \o/

really what I'm trying to say is that I don't want starmade to look like over games, starmade need to have it's own kind of gameplay :)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I'd like SM to become a heavily moddable game, but unlike MC and several other heavily moddable games the vanilla game should still be interesting enough to keep players playing.

Reaction score
    In my "perfect setup" there'll not be IA players, nor IA shops, you'll need to craft everything and factions shops will be a need. You'll need to group in factions and specialize, maybe a faction will only salvage and crafting meanwhile another one will be distributing the blocks through their shops.

Ships will be hard to make and maintain, you'll not be able to insta-buy a ship, they take time to be built, and then, shipyards and repair stations will be another specialization of players and factions and will force players to think twice before going to battle.

Also, in battles, there's not AI turrets also, if you want them, join with players to pilot and use a big ship, one person titans have a price. I imagine support ships where people will be repairing and preparing the damaged ones who return from the battle.

Reaction score
    To those who say they want starmade to become its own game, yes I know that. What I'm saying is what mechanics from other games you'd want to see. Read the thread. I didn't say for it to look EXACTLY THE SAME, just things from other games you'd like this one to have with maybe a starmade twist. Of course this game should be unique.

For example Starbound and Borderlands both have emphasis on procedural loot. Both games are totally different from each other, but have similar mechanics. I picked Starmade because I love space games and I love procedural generation, I also love the 'mod anything to your liking'-ness of Voxel block based gameplay.

@Megacrafter127 This so much, apparently the guys on TES add little to the game because they know modders will just make it better. Personally I think this happened to Minecraft, whatever the devs could add, modders will just add anyway and complain the crew stole off of them. Why bother spending valuable time and resource adding a new block when Tekkit already has it? I almost never use mods apart from graphical enhancements so I hate to see this happen.

@Theck So you want a strong focus on teamplay and multiplayer? I can understand this. Many have complained that people simply use a one man doomcube instead of a capital ship that needs to be defended with small, player-built fighters. Lots of single players will be alienated with some of your suggestions though, a reason why I think single-player and multi-player needs to be segregated in the future.

I like the idea of players using turrets, like a ww2 plane game I played. You had a bomber that you flew, one other player dropped the bombs and the rest of your crew serviced the gunner pods front and back. It was very tactical and it brought people together.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    ...I like the idea of players using turrets, like a ww2 plane game I played. You had a bomber that you flew, one other player dropped the bombs and the rest of your crew serviced the gunner pods front and back. It was very tactical and it brought people together.
    In Red Orchestra (WWII infantry and tank game) to play with a tank you need to be at least 2 people, a driver and a gunner (a 3th may join to use the machinegun), if you play "solo", if you fire and switch to the driver, the gun will not be loaded. In Red Orchestra 2 they've added IA, no more fun to play as a tank :(

Another example is http://gunsoficarus.com/ Guns of Icarus where you fly an steampunk fliying machine and you need to play 3, as pilot, gunner and mechanic.

The gameplay of this games with the possibility of designing you own ship is what made me fall in love with StarMade.

The good part is that's possible now only if they add a config option to disallow bobby AI modules.

Reaction score
    Not sure why some of you seem opposed to AI. First of all the single player experience heavily depends on it.

Even the multiplayer benefits. At some point, players become reluctant to risk their ships in bettle, once they have spent so many resources and so much time building. The AI doesnt suffer from this, and will happily stir the pot with attacks, even suicidal ones. I am hoping in the future the "Borg invasion" can be triggered, where perhaps factions need to band together to fight.

Also - spiders? AI.

Take away AI and you consign the one man faction to doom.

I suspect some of you may think you will have access to an army of turret playing drones, while you are in command of the fleet. I am sure the prospective drones have this scenario in mind also, but with themselves at the helm. Realistically, you will need AI if you want turrets, because no one will be happy to just man a turret for hours. Thats a pretty dumb task and should be assigned to AI.

I happily look forward to AI fleet control, and better AI, and the more AI, the better. It can only enhance the multiplayer experience, because there will always be things only players can do, and those are all the fun things.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just want this game to become starmade. Nothing less, and more is impossible.

Reaction score
    I'm completely agree with you, and it'll work, but the experience you'll get it's different, and the question was how do I want to be, it's a completely personal vision of what type of mechanics I do prefer.

AI it's good, that's not the point. But you have to agree with me that the kind of ships and the way you'll combat will be completely different if you can add 100 turrets or if you are limited to the number of other players will join you.

With the AI Shops occurs the same, the kind of economy you'll get will be very different.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Anything BUT EvE. I hate that game. It's a game that doesn't require skill, and only depends on how long you play it. I want star made to be star made.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As a single player aficionado I'm obviously not an advocate of no AI in the game. ;)
    Thus said, I agree with everyone who said that StarMade in the first place should be StarMade.

A few things I would love to see in future are mainly incentives to go exploring and visit new worlds.
    For instance, at the moment all available blocks are obtainable from every shop in the universe. What if some more advanced items would be related to and obtainable at typical locations like different type of planets due to their natural resources and at certain civilizations due to their level of technology in the universe. This would also immediately be an incentive for trading, price differentiation, warfare and siege (last two typical multi-player, but could be AI generated for single in scenario's if required).

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    ... I want star made to be star made.
    I just want this game to become starmade. Nothing less, and more is impossible.
    I said it first :p
    Bit seriously, why would anyone want to make this game similar to another game? That just isn't very original. I like the direction starmade is headed, and I wouldn't want anything to change.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I said it first :p
    Bit seriously, why would anyone want to make this game similar to another game? That just isn't very original. I like the direction starmade is headed, and I wouldn't want anything to change.
    Because nothing is original. And trying to be original doesn't mean we cant take elements from other games that would clearly work in our favor.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd love to see the ship combat in this game refined into something similar to Star Trek Bridge Commander. Only without the specific system auto targeting simply because that's impossible without the set system entities which Starmade will always lack. The dynamic 3rd person camera and general feel would translate perfectly to ship battles here.

For on other gameplay, I'd like something similar to Space Rogue, with quests and secondary roles like Trader, Bounty Hunter, and Space Pirate. We actually seem to be headed into that direction somewhat with the quests thankfully.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I want a sense of balanced, non-punishing freedom that I felt in the original Privateer. In that game, the universe felt very open, but I rarely felt like a bug about to get squashed by a titan.

ASCII Sector is a 2-D recreation that feels really good. Plenty of quests and NPCs to interact with. Lots of options for ship upgrades.

Most games have a sense of advancement that can be very subtle. I'm thinking that would be a great thing to implement in StarMade as a mod. Specifically, I'm thinking that every few days, a server would increase the basic effectiveness of a random system by 1. Maybe the energy reactor blocks would start producing 26 energy instead of 25. (That would be a biggie!) Maybe the beams would reach 501 meters instead of only 500. (That would be a small change.) Maybe missiles would fly 1m/s faster. (This would probably be a medium-level change.) etc. Such a mod would introduce a feeling of technological advancement with a pleasant surprise factor, without shaking up the dynamics of the game too much.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I want to see Starmade become as complex as the X series.
    Specifically, as complex as X3: Albion Prelude.

Fleet control, station building and control, automated mining, trade economy across numerous systems. Simulated AI in-galaxy (ie: everything in unloaded sectors just becomes dice rolls and timers on a per-squadron basis rather than per-ship).

Infantry combat too, mind you - just a heavy focus on space and large scale stuff.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As a single player aficionado I'm obviously not an advocate of no AI in the game. ;)
    Thus said, I agree with everyone who said that StarMade in the first place should be StarMade.

A few things I would love to see in future are mainly incentives to go exploring and visit new worlds.
    For instance, at the moment all available blocks are obtainable from every shop in the universe. What if some more advanced items would be related to and obtainable at typical locations like different type of planets due to their natural resources and at certain civilizations due to their level of technology in the universe. This would also immediately be an incentive for trading, price differentiation, warfare and siege (last two typical multi-player, but could be AI generated for single in scenario's if required).

Greets,

Jan
    This many times over. I really like playing as a giant sandbox and exploring planets. Ship battles really don't do much for me since I try to build full interiors which really limits my building space and puts me at a distinct disadvantage. And since I can't keep optimal build requirements straight anymore since they've changed a few times lol.

I'm mostly looking at this as a coop game with friends and keeping a server around for quite awhile as we each build our own faction and randomly cooperate or solo than as a big battling it out in super ships sort of game. But to each their own, not my place to say no that's not how you should play.

One of my dreams in this game is to create a giant arena spaceship and fly around the universe abducting various creatures to fight each other or myself to the death. Having a zoo for some of the weirder spawns. Like that Predators movie.

Reactions: CyberTao