What exactly are the penalities of low stabilization?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    the problem is this concept makes ur ship a square basically
    The bonus is calculated as if the reactor was a cube with six faces, but neither the reactor nor the stabilizer groups need be cubes, nor do they need to be orthogonal or equidistant to the physical reactor shape. In other words, build your reactor and stabilizer groups however you like while maintaining positive integrity, and use the Reactor axis controls for any oddities.

Reaction score
    Also, the reactor is "rotatable"; so, you can now optimize to a LOT of shapes. Below are a few very different but typical aesthetics that can be optimised:

The Klingon warbird has a short nose, but two long diagonal wings. You could put a reactor in the main body, and stabs in the nose and two wingtips, then rotate the reactor 45degress to get 3 fairly long vectors of stab efficiency.

The Vulcan halo nacel ships are way better than a doom cube. You can centralize your reactor and get 6 vectors for stabs without making yourself a super easy to hit high profile target.

a Basic ufo, or any other flat ship can easily get 4 decent stab lines with a central reactor. You could even rotate your reactor on the Y to make your stabs in less predictable places.

And for the warhammer 40k buffs: Many of these ships are pretty much longbois anyway, so, you could just go extreme front/back or you could add secondary stabs in those towers for a bit of extra redundancy.

[doublepost=1518454951,1518454714][/doublepost]
    The bonus is calculated as if the reactor was a cube with six faces, but neither the reactor nor the stabilizer groups need be cubes, nor do they need to be orthogonal or equidistant to the physical reactor shape. In other words, build your reactor and stabilizer groups however you like while maintaining positive integrity, and use the Reactor axis controls for any oddities.
    This is actually the exception which is that systems DO need to be cubes to stay stable. Building a ship to being exactly integrity stable is just as bad as building a ship that is not at all integrity stable, because once a bullet flies through it once, it will become unstable and start having chain-reaction explosions until it completely destroys itself; so, the meta is 100% cubes because they can take more deformation from damage before losing stability, than any other block shape.

Reaction score
    This is actually the exception which is that systems DO need to be cubes to stay stable. Building a ship to being exactly integrity stable is just as bad as building a ship that is not at all integrity stable, because once a bullet flies through it once, it will become unstable and start having chain-reaction explosions until it completely destroys itself; so, the meta is 100% cubes because they can take more deformation from damage before losing stability, than any other block shape.
    Everyone says integrity this, integrity that, but nobody tries giving new numbers that would be better to use for integrity. I can promise you with full confidence that integrity WILL be changing, and not just once. You guys want it removed because it limits building, but the devs want to CHANGE it so it DOESN'T limit building, but still discourages spaghetti systems. This is also part of why the weapons update is going to include projectile scaling. If you're going to be a baby about integrity, at least try to be part of the solution to it.

Reactions: NTIMESc
    Reaction score
    I have suggested a new system with lots of numbers to go with it along with a system for how to refine proposed system over time without needing full mechanical rebuilds.

How to fix Integrity - Yeay Math Again!

[edit] My statement was to the CURRENT state of integrity and was by no means to be inferred as to say it cannot be fixed. It can be done better, but we have no timeframe for when to expect that, so if you are building today, then cube is the thing to do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is actually the exception which is that systems DO need to be cubes to stay stable.
    It very well could be that I am missing something obvious, but here is a silly ship frame that I was fiddling with to examine integrity:
    Undamaged: Reactor integrity: 248, Stabilizer Ingegrity: Absurd overkill
    starmade-screenshot-0058.png

Reactor chopped a few times to simulate damage: Integrity of largest reactor: 210
    starmade-screenshot-0059.png

Reaction score
    hmmm.... looks like you found a bug. If I'm looking at things right suspect all those little stabilizers are taking advantage of the integrity advantage of really small stuff, but since they are only 1 block apart they are getting grouped as a single stabilizer group so that you can make more than 20 of them. I would make a bug report Phabricator.
    [doublepost=1518463614,1518463489][/doublepost]either that or there has been another update that totally changed integrity effects, or you are working on a custom server config designed to eliminate integrity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    ...since they are only 1 block apart they are getting grouped as a single stabilizer group so that you can make more than 20 of them.
    There are only four groups of stabilizers. They are spaced just far enough apart to separate. The reactor axes have been adjusted so three of the four groups are giving a bonus. Stabilization is so high because there are simply more stabilizers than needed, as the ship was started before the multi dimensional update.

Reaction score
    Also, the reactor is "rotatable"; so, you can now optimize to a LOT of shapes. Below are a few very different but typical aesthetics that can be optimised
    Ty for remembering that conventional vertical ships still sucks. Thanks to the stream that gives a weak point to the full lengh of your ship.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    either that or there has been another update that totally changed integrity effects
    Very possible. I remember seeing somewhere that the dev team said they didn't like the current implementation of the integrity system and were brainstorming for fixes/changes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    suspect all those little stabilizers are taking advantage of the integrity advantage of really small stuff, but since they are only 1 block apart they are getting grouped as a single stabilizer group
    I didn't understand what you meant at first. The four stabilizer groups are each solid, contiguous arcs made with intersecting 5x5x5 chunks. There are no gaps. The reactor is similarly constructed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    its more cuz of the distance u would need on all sides for optimal optimization
    Its actually a one number change and done problem solved I did it my self fixed my power problems

Last edited: