What does a custom Space Station need?

Reaction score
    We're not talking about generated space stations here, but what do you think any space station needs?

Ill start with the basics such as hangars, maybe lifts, storage rooms.

What do you think? Post below!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Depends on what type of station.

Main station. Loads of turrets, sheilds, and hangers

Orbital station. Big big turrets, a planet, sheilds, thick hull

Hangar bey. Loads of hangers, manable repair turrets inside hangers

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ...that would depend on the custom space station\'s intented use and purpose.

If you mean for a general station.. well everything, really.

If you want an automated defense platform just to claim a sector for a faction (only 1 SpcStt per sector), go for as much shield/thickness you can, and cover that with turrets. The more the better. Perhaps a dock or two.

If on the other hand you want a more active station, where players store stuff, park ships, interact, etc; You\'ll want more docks and more room on your station. Defenses are also important, though if you plan your station to be a gathering point, keep room for the ships there and perhaps assume you can delegate some of the defense to them.

If you want a mining rig, say, above a planet, well I dunno. Have either a large harvester-turret or many smaller ones. I really don\'t know why you\'d do that other than terraforming and later on turning that station into an orbital-platform, I \'unno.

There\'s really near endless shapes and sizes your station can take, and as many purposes for them as you can think of. What they need is intimately related, so really the answer is \"Depends.\"

As for the \"general basics\" (which really, is pretty much everything.), can\'t believe you forgot lights and a main room. There\'d be no point of a station without at least one room to just chill in, otherwise you might as well just make a huge parking lot.

Well, that\'s my take on the question. o:
    PS: Stations are great. I love stations.

Reaction score
    I was thinking less neccecity, more interior things.

Reaction score
    I like gardens/bio zones/habitats inside stations. They work against the \"all grey/black hull\" style most stations have.

Another thing that looks cool are generator rooms if they are designed well. Work with ice crystals, lava, lamps and beacons to give them a shiny look.

Reaction score
    This is the creative type of stuff, Im looking for ;p

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If this is going to be a full on station, how could you have a station without living quarters?!

You should also not forget about a cafateria, a mess hall. Where else will the workers eat? They already have the Biozone to relax in.

On a more serious note, you will need an mineral processing room to process everything the mining/scavaging crews manage to bring in and another area for new parts to be built for the maintance and expanansion of your galatic empi.. station.

Other than a hanger you should have observation decks to watch as people fly into or out of the hangers/maintance bays to make sure no one is causing a fuss or ramming other ships. (\'Who keyed my fighter?!\')