What do you think Ship Scores need to take into account?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    no sure if anyone said this allready but

NPC crew's

if it is 1v1 ships battling if one ship has more crew then the other he one with more crew should win because there would be repair teams and NPC's manning the stations imporving the stats (at-lest that is what i think npcs will do on a station..)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Why not simply have the server download copies of the involved ships to a separate offline server with a max download/upload speed to prevent performance hits.
    The actual ships are then removed and anyone entering the sector will see a pop-up saying 'Battle-in progress' or what not.
    The offline server then simulates the battle at (x) speed, then when done uploads the results the the main server.

While a battle could take some time (due to it running at a slower pace/slow download upload speeds) it would be pretty accurate and wouldn't make a dent in the servers performance.

If there were multiple battles waiting to happen they would be put in a 'Que' for this process.

Could this work:?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Why not simply have the server download copies of the involved ships to a separate offline server with a max download/upload speed to prevent performance hits.
    The actual ships are then removed and anyone entering the sector will see a pop-up saying 'Battle-in progress' or what not.
    The offline server then simulates the battle at (x) speed, then when done uploads the results the the main server.

While a battle could take some time (due to it running at a slower pace/slow download upload speeds) it would be pretty accurate and wouldn't make a dent in the servers performance.

If there were multiple battles waiting to happen they would be put in a 'Que' for this process.

Could this work:?
    Hmm. Maybe instead of a separate server, the battle is done on a low-priority background thread? It may take a little longer to simulate, but that would hopefully prevent it from interfering with normal logic for players.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Hmm. Maybe instead of a separate server, the battle is done on a low-priority background thread? It may take a little longer to simulate, but that would hopefully prevent it from interfering with normal logic for players.
    This is actually much harder then it sounds, and the results aren't acutally as good as you want. Simulating should be fun once you find a good balance. Then later on if we start getting larger servers that are sharded based on sector it should be fine.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Do we have any idea how many NPC battles or simulations will be allowed at one time?

Since the universe is procedurally generated there could technically be infinite galaxies, which means infinite factions, which means infinite concurrent battles = 100% server CPU utilization and complete lock up as soon as the server is fired up.

In other words, without a limit on the amount of battles allowed at once it doesn't matter how much combat is simplified an infinite universe will max the CPU every time.

If NPC factions only come into existence once they are discovered by players then things will be OK at first but get slower and slower as more factions are followed by the server.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Since the universe is procedurally generated there could technically be infinite galaxies, which means infinite factions, which means infinite concurrent battles = 100% server CPU utilization and complete lock up as soon as the server is fired up.
    I would assume that most MP servers would have everything but the major factions (TG, Scavs, Outcasts, and the 2 unreleased) disabled, because players would fill that role.

Reaction score
    TG I get, but the Scavangers and Outcasts I don't understand what they are. I think one is the pirates, one is a nomad/traveler group.

What happened to the goverment and rebellion, neither totally bad, nor totally good. Side with one, side with the other, (attempt to) side with both at the same time! A while after we get the new factions, I think we should start adding extra factions, that you could select which would spawn when you made the world. Servers could just have the default trio, but there would also be some optional factions(or faction packs, with my goverment revolution example). The game would have one or two maybe, but the community could make factions like they make ships.

Last edited: