What do you expect from a RP server?

Reaction score
    Hello,
    i am curious to hear what you expect when you want to play on a RP server?
    Or what do you want on RP servers?
    How much (and what kind) rules and regulations do you find appropriate?

I am playing on a server labeled RP, which started out great, but it is slowly starting to get a "creative build server" with occasionally a small exchange of fire between a hand full of ships (or in the worst case just weapons testing of ships), while the most chat RP is only about trading resources or requesting docking clearance.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    For an RP server, I expect well-designed ships with plenty of interior (not really battle ships) with lots of discussion about the core topic of the server. If I was to create a RP server based on the Trident I would also have Trident blueprints available publicly in the catalog (specifically the ones with interior), two main, joinable factions (Trident and some other enemy) and realistic faction warfare.
    For rulesets, the #1 rule seems to be 'No battle-oriented ships' which can be expected as they are not PvP servers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Personally, I look for a small, active, and welcoming community in an RP server. I dont care if people dont fight all the time, I just like being able to act like my character would.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    A RP server is Role Playing, meaning it can be anything really. Some use a great deal of lore and guideline to funnel people down a certain path (Mandatory interior for example. X faction builds ships like this.), and sometimes involve a change in the base configs in order to enforce said rules and guidelines.

What to expect depends on what kind of universe they are creating, could be fighter based, could be based on a small number of preset large factions, could be based on planets rather than stations. A great deal of interior tends to be common though, as is attempts to detail the hull. Building ships as they should look in that universe, as opposed to building ship that maximize on how starmade calculates the stats.

Reaction score
    Well first you need a lore so people can create a good background for their Caracter.
    Also on a real rp server everything happen because of relationship , diplomacy or politics.
    War should be for precise goal or strategic purpose and not just because 2 bored people want to shoot at each other.
    Many server tag rp in their description but aren't rp at all...
    In rp you play a role , a character , what is going on in game is directed toward your character and not you , you must think according to your character personnaly and philosophie , never with you personnel perception or feeling ... otherwise everybody wanna win and cry when they loose , personnaly in real rp game it hardly matter who win or loose , what really matter is the fun you have by playing a character that isn't you and living a virtual life style totally alien to your daily reality.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think what I look for is multiple groups, each given certain personality traits. Traits that are designed for someone to easily role-play those traits, and traits that are designed to make the player act aggressively, to force exciting interaction (read: combat). Examples: One group is a bunch of outgoing wealthy traders, constantly looking for new business. Another group is a simple, fiercely territorial bunch. Another group consists of honor-bound, bitter ex-slaves looking for new places to live. Having conflicting traits is easy and fun for players, and guarantees opportunities for conflict.

Reaction score
    A start and an end like with a tabletop rpg. Need something for everyone to be moving towards, with the admins taking the role of GM.

Kojinus

Feline Overlord
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I look for a very healthy community of people who are really into the RPing, and incredibly strict rules about breaking the immersion in-game. Very little OOC chat happening in-game unless absolutely necessary.

It's no fun if randomly someone starts talking OOC 'cause they don't like something that's happening in the game. :) Real life is full of stuff you don't like, roll with it in the RP just like you would if it were real.