What do do with all the mining waste?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    While the new system of blueprint spawning with blocks offers some new features and solves some issues, it brings up quite a lot of new ones, and underlines some older ones.
    Namely, resources are extremely scarce, and the amount of them needed to craft something useful is insanely high. 100 capsules for a single shield capacitator block, for example. It's overly random, running into the asteroid that has your required type of minerals is absolutely by chance - some seem extremely rare, ironically, they are holding some of the most important resources. But this isn't to discuss that.
    The residual materials from mining, are what bother me. Millions of blocks, completely useless for anything. Rocks, terrain, plants, lava, dirt, burnt dirt that doesn't even sell in shops... unless you have a biodome fetish, you will never be using any of those for building. Or crafting, either.

To find a use for those materials AND ease up on the resource trouble a tiny bit, I suggest a new type of factory block, call it Resource Extractor, Molecular Separator, Recycler, whatever you wish to. Basicly, it would have 2 functions:
    1 - break down any block to its components according to its crafting recipe, thus enabling better management of salvaged materials.
    2 - turn the useless terrain blocks into random ore/shard at a low rate (like, 1 for 100 blocks) This way, people can actually do something with the countless waste materials, and eases the strain put on them by the excessively increased resource needs.

Or, you can ask Calbiri to re-balance the crafting recipes. That could work too.

Reaction score
    I really like the concept of a molecular sperator/recycler/resource extractor/whatever, but, should it really be random? that seems kind of derp, to me, I mean sure it kind of makes sense, but really I don't like randomness in "Big things" like resource acquisition, it should be pretty well-defined and almost researchable, I guess?

But yes something like this would be good/

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I like the idea of turning out resources from massive amounts of rock. We can turn a few tons of rock into a few grams of gold in reality. I bet its a long process and not really worth it. But it does give us the option to rid ourselves of these materials.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Totally on board with this. Even making some rocks slightly different in what they might give you, or how much you have to stuff in the dis-integrator to get one resource.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think this is a excellent idea. I'm kind of a hoarder though... so I'd probably never use it :D ... I totally might need those 38 thousand burnt orange dirt blocks someday to make a really large radioactive greenhouse or something.

Reaction score
    unless you have a biodome fetish
    Whats wrong with a biodome fetish? :(

im makeing an entire city out of all those supposedly useless blocks. i even made a post yesterday basically complaining there isnt enough soil/dirt :D

but more seriously. i think those who are complain about the crafting system are because they dont fully understand it yet. i might even go the opposite way sometimes and say they are a lil too generous sometimes. for example, in an owned system, you get 6 resources for every block mined. that combined with a massive array is enough to net you all the recourse you should ever reasonably need (hundreds of thousands of capsules/meshes/circuits) with the exception of hardended hulled titans.

basically put, if the crafting system is presenting a real barrier for you, your either missing some vital element of it (is crafting taking to long? add factory enhancers to speed up crafting times by orders of magnitude) or what you are trying to construct is unreasonably OP in some fashion.

need MORE resources? head to a planet, they are absolute gold mines for all the games resources except for the colored stones and those are coming soon to planets as well)

also keep in mind there seems to be a bug currently that makes some asteroids rarer then they should be, so that will be getting fixed. (bug #1358)

Edit: BTW Matt_Bradock, off topic, but i absolutely love that avatar :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Really for me the only problem in the crafting system is the amount of capsules needed for stuff.

"Decently sized" ships (aprox 40-50k mass for me, i'm sure that for you it's less so its not a large problem) need 54 planets of resources just for their shieldings if you own the system and you have luck(some people say its 1000 shield capacitators per planet, some say its only half or even less than that) then theres the weapons(you need 50 capsules per cannon barrel, not sure about the other ones), the engines, the hull..

And then theres the fact that Larimar(blue) asteroids, which contain 2 ores neccesary for shield capacitators, are bugged and are very rare.

Etc.

Yes, it's good because it discourages gigantism, but it does it way to much, and (for me) it only encourages me to not add lots of interiors because of all the different materials and stuff, and to use plain grey hull, because some hull colors require 3 different paint items to be made, and other stuff

Reaction score
    that cant be, iv mined half a planet and been able to craft tons of blocks. 50 capsules is 10 of what ever kind of resource (5 capsules per resource) mining in an owned systems planet can net you 10,000 (enough for 1000 shield blocks) of a resource in about 30 minutes, and you wont go through even an entire planet segment.

54 planets worth of resources for a 40, 50k wasnt even true of the old system which was much more brutal in terms of cost. i dont know where you got this figure from.

Edit: now that i think about it, i might be a wee bit biased on planets as i upped their default size by a little bit, (150, 100 variance) but thats not all that much bigger. no where near enough to make a difference of 50+ planets worth of goodies.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hmm, maybe the people telling me of the scarcity of resources just haven't mined enough.

But.. I have done a couple mining runs including heavily mining the half of 2 planets and tons of asteroid mining, and i only have 90k capsules of 1 type, and 110k of another one(both needed for shield rechargers so wouldn't that be 1800 recharger blocks?(1 shield recharger block = 50 capsules of 1 parsun and 50 parsten or something).

11pm here so its likely im doing something wrong on thus

Reaction score
    are you sure your mining in an owned system? you should get a mining boost of x6. each planet segment also has 2 random resources, so mining half a planet should net you a good amount of a few different kinds of resources.

every 50,000 capsules of both types (10,000 shards or ores) is enough for 1,000 shield/other blocks. with the mining boost it shouldn't take more then say 10 -15 minutes to get that amount. in an unowned system tho then yes it will take 6 times as long.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    are you sure your mining in an owned system? you should get a mining boost of x6. each planet segment also has 2 random resources, so mining half a planet should net you a good amount of a few different kinds of resources.

every 50,000 capsules of both types (10,000 shards or ores) is enough for 1,000 shield/other blocks. with the mining boost it shouldn't take more then say 10 -15 minutes to get that amount. in an unowned system tho then yes it will take 6 times as long.
    OdraNoel yes we do mine in owned systems. Since the universe update (and since ores and shards give only 5 capsules, the rest goes to meshes and curcuits, which I definitely do not agree with, why couldn't we keep that at the micro assembler?) some ores are mythic, only found on planets IF you are lucky and they spawn on one or more segment. The nice blue colored larimar asteroids became mythic, we only remember how they looked like, because no one saw them since the galaxy update. You did your own crafting only series, there was a damn good reason you built your base out of asteroid stones instead of even such a trivial thing (at least used to be trivial) as standard armor. Because, you yourself mentioned, that it costs a lot of resources to make. And we're talking only about standard armor, not even close to advanced. a SINGLE shield capacitator or recharger costs 100 capsules, which means you need 10 shards and 10 ores, to make a single block, a block that is absolutely vital to any ship design and usually used by the thousands on anything bigger than an Isanth. Not to mention that, if you start anew, to build a decent salvage array (salvage beams now work in bursts as damage beams unless you slave a cannon system to it) you need cannon computer (hundreds of capsules) and cannon blocks (50 capsules/block) in addition to the salvagers, to make them work.
    In fact, here's a challenge for you. I challenge you to take a decent miner, and then, crafting only, gather the resources for its blueprint meta-item to spawn it in. While you're mining, try to count the time and the amount of blocks you need to mine to craft those blocks, to the number of blocks on the ship you use. In the end, please share with us, how long did it take, to get the resources you spent on your miner.

Reaction score
    i only play in survival so iv done that a few times now. altho when i did my first survival play that was in the old crafting system, and yes it was a lot more brutal. now its not nearly as bad.

and yes maybe at first it will take you some time to built your way up to a decent salvager, but thats part of the survival process. you shouldn't be able to start from scratch and get a super salvager in a couple of hours. but thats just my opinion.

also it seems like some of the difficulties your having is due to the blue and white asteroids being glitched. so hopefully that will get patched soon. because i believe the blue ore required for cannons comes from the white asteroids, so if those are glitched then ya thats guna make starting off from scratch alot harder. but iv been mainly mining on planets, (which is why i havnt noticed the asteroid thing so much) and the resources on them are totally random as far as i can tell, you just gota find a nice big segment with the ores you need.

that being said, looks like theres a new update and the mining boost of an owned system has been uped to 12 now rather then 6. that should further double our yeilds.

happy mining. :)

edit: hmm now that im trying it, im still getting 6 ore per mined block, ill investigate further.

Last edited:

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    While the mining boost is alright, that still doesn't solve the other problem: What the hell do we do with the tons of excess rock, ice, lava and plants? After all, if you mine a planet, regardless of the mining bonus, there will be 100 blocks of "other" to every single resource block mined. Stuff that takes place in the inventory, stuff I would really love to put to some use. But I can't, not yet.
    Also, it would be really nice if we could break down salvaged material from ships and stations into its components, and use it for crafting someting else. Or, are you objecting that too?

Reaction score
    dude im not objecting to anything. im just trying to go through all the information available on the subject. however this last mining boost and larger denser asteroids has really made a hell of a difference, for me at least. and iv been starting to see alot more ice and some blue asteroids. tho the blue ones still seem to be a bit rarer then id like.

as for the "useless" blocks, i guess there will always be some useless blocks or left overs. but i never objectected to haveing alternate uses for them. say turning sand into glass, or as you said processing large amounts of say stone for a random resource.

also to help with INV managment you can link storage units to your salvage computer and it will deposit mined materials into the storage instead of your inventory. and you can link multiple storages so you dont have to worry about that storage getting full as well.

i totally agree with being able to deconstruction blocks or recycle them tho. at a slightly reduced rate of course. (say around a 20% loss for deconstructions)